TC Media

killme

Reaction score
It may be unpopular with some of the employees on the Twin Cities' biggest newspaper who frequent this forum, but sending that man to cover this game says a lot about their perceived role and relationship with this community.

Hungry for anything about the game yesterday, I listened to a fair amount of KFAN in the afternoon. It's the flagship station for Gopher football. SMH.

The only way these things are allowed to happen is the TC community accepts it, and, unfortunately with your hard-earned dollars must support them. Many of you want a better coach or quarterback and complain. That's your right. But you also have the right to not patronize certain media, or the businesses who spend advertising dollars to keep them going.

So, to get more coverage, show no support for it. Got it.

So, to get more coverage, show no support for it. Got it.

Who said anything about "more" coverage? From what I could ascertain, there was plenty. I was referring to disrespect of the fan base and confusion about the role of the media.

Who said anything about "more" coverage? From what I could ascertain, there was plenty. I was referring to disrespect of the fan base and confusion about the role of the media.

Not looking for a fight here, but I haven't any idea what this is about. I'm a Pioneer Press subscriber, so perhaps there is a kerfuffle I've missed. Is this Souhan related? (I'm guessing from your avatar). Can we no mention his name, or is it like Voledmort?

Where was the after game show? I came out of the stadium and was flipping around and couldn't find it. I'm an XM subscriber so I think I lost where the Gophers are suppose to be locally.

I love a thread where every poster has their own topic.

In keeping with the new topic for each post mentality...

What radio station covered the Gophers football game last night if KFAN is the flagship? I was on my way to a bar to watch the game and I couldn't find any pregame coverage because of the Vikings. I searched for other stations, but couldn't seem to find anything. Did another station pick up the Gophers in the metro area?

The game was broadcast on 107.9 Kool 108. Weird - but the Vikings trumped the Gophers. It's not unusual for a sister-station to broadcast when there's a conflict.

The game was broadcast on 107.9 Kool 108. Weird - but the Vikings trumped the Gophers. It's not unusual for a sister-station to broadcast when there's a conflict.

Thanks, I must have passed by when they were on commercial and didn't catch it.

Viking contract over rides Gopher games. Only happen because of Thursday night game. Listened on 107.9.

Who has a good mechanic? Not looking for the cheapest, just someone reasonable and trustworthy. My guy closed his shop.

It's starting to make sense to me.

bronco.jpg

If irritation can create a pearl, image the beauty air travel must produce.

Just found the post-game press conference clips. Very enjoyable. Not sure if someone else has posted them, but in particular, during JK's 11-minute session a media member asks this question at the 5:30 mark:

MEDIA: How do you assess your last possession?
JK: What do you mean?
MEDIA: (Unintelligible)...not really do much there with the ball and a minute and a half left and you got 7 yards.
JK: I’m not sure... We didn’t have the ball with a minute and a half... We scored with a minute and a half. We had 35...
Media: You’re right. After you got the ball back.
JK: We had 35 seconds and they got six defensive backs in the game. You know. You gotta throw it up and hope somebody can go get it. You know? We tried to do that, but, 35 seconds is not a lot of time. And we drove it down and gave ourselves a chance to...you know. The thing that hurt us was the onsides kick; we didn’t get that second bounce. But with 35 seconds to go and you got 6 defensive back standing across the board it’s not, you know, you can’t, you have no timeouts, so... I guess that’s bad coaching.

Anyone know who the reporter was?

Mason would have won because his teams were better at recovering the onside kick.

back to the original post - I've been following the TC media for over 50 years, and - with the exception of Sid - the default position is to be fashionably cynical about everything. going into the TCU game, I read and heard a lot of stories in the vein of "fans are actually excited about a Gopher FB game." As if fans being excited about the home-town team is somehow a shocking or bizarre development.

As far as Souhan is concerned - he's an opinion columnist. He gives opinions. You, as a reader, have every right to disagree with his opinions- but in today's media universe, unpopular opinions create clicks on websites. The Strib will NEVER admit or even hint that Souhan's original Jerry Kill column was over the line. Privately, some people at the Strib may disagree with what Souhan wrote, but the party line is to support their writers. Jim Souhan is a sports writer - and he is likely going to write about Gopher sports. If you don't like that, then don't read what he writes.

back to the original post - I've been following the TC media for over 50 years, and - with the exception of Sid - the default position is to be fashionably cynical about everything. going into the TCU game, I read and heard a lot of stories in the vein of "fans are actually excited about a Gopher FB game." As if fans being excited about the home-town team is somehow a shocking or bizarre development.

As far as Souhan is concerned - he's an opinion columnist. He gives opinions. You, as a reader, have every right to disagree with his opinions- but in today's media universe, unpopular opinions create clicks on websites. The Strib will NEVER admit or even hint that Souhan's original Jerry Kill column was over the line. Privately, some people at the Strib may disagree with what Souhan wrote, but the party line is to support their writers. Jim Souhan is a sports writer - and he is likely going to write about Gopher sports. If you don't like that, then don't read what he writes.
Thanks for taking the time to respond. I respect your views and certainly your experience gives your comments credence. I, too, am familiar with the other side of the media. There are places in the country where a media base has become sour and a large percentage of what is written and broadcast seems to be contrary to the mantra of good reporting: fair and unbiased. The point of my OP is the TC media seems to be tainted, at best, but unfairly negative in general, IMO, and unprofessional. Conversely, there are some excellent reporters covering the Gophers. The incredibly awful ones tend to overshadow the good work of the good ones.

I like the writers at the Omaha World-Herald. That's some Pulitzer Prize winning journalism going on there. :cool:

Top Bottom