Taylor Woodson is coming home

GG is starting she was the team second best player
I agree GG will be in the lineup. I'd argue Battle is our second best player behind Braun.
To be good we need to add somebody better than Braun.

I have not seen Woodson play but averaging 1.9 ppg is not a ringing endorsement over 32 games.
She had 13 and 7 versus Iowa, zero and 3 versus the Gophers...the majority of the other games are 0's...17X. Two best games are Iowa. Double figure minutes in 13 games. Played in 32 games.
Under 50% from the free throw line. 12 steals in the 32 games.
Doesn't rebound well and she was 0 for 1 from 3 on the season...so, I dunno...she did play in 32 games...so there must be more expected to emerge.
Hopefully, she excels as a Gopher.

I agree GG will be in the lineup. I'd argue Battle is our second best player behind Braun.

I have not seen Woodson play but averaging 1.9 ppg is not a ringing endorsement over 32 games.
She had 13 and 7 versus Iowa, zero and 3 versus the Gophers...the majority of the other games are 0's...17X. Two best games are Iowa. Double figure minutes in 13 games. Played in 32 games.
Doesn't rebound well and she was 0 for 1 from 3 on the season...so, I dunno...she did play in 32 games...so there must be more expected to emerge.
It’s pretty hard for her to score much when she averaged 8.9 minutes per game. I believe she’ll play a lot more with the Gophers and her stats will be good.

Great get for the Gophers WBB! I'm sure Coach P is not finished on the recruitment trail. Lots of competition for spots this season. That's what makes for a successful program. Constant improvement at all positions. Things are moving in a positive direction.

Czinano hopefully stays as she is a leader as she plays hard each minute she gets to contribute and cheers for her teammates when not in the game. Her game was getting better as the year went on as well. Got a decent amount of steals.
It will be tough to get minutes with all the talent the Gophers have added, and could add.

Woodson, Stewart, Johnson, McKinney, and Klick who was injured this year. One or two of these could be starters.

Coaching circles in MN know we have a bonified coach in place, Minnesota girls are coming home along with solid out state recruits. Stockpile talent and let the girls work for the starting position, that’s how big time ball works! Can’t wait for next year!

Last edited:

She was a freshman. I think in general women’s players develop a bit slower. I wouldn’t be so skeptical based on first year statistics.

It’s pretty hard for her to score much when she averaged 8.9 minutes per game. I believe she’ll play a lot more with the Gophers and her stats will be good.
Sounds like a lot of wishin and hopin.

Right now she looks to be more of a depth player rather than a team trajectory changer.

I don't know if Woodson would start over GG. 1.9 ppg/1.7 rpg vs 10.8/4.7.
Granted Grace averaged 4 times as many minutes. But TW never attempted a 3 pointer.
Seems like GG might be the choice in offensive situations and TW in when needing stops over points.

I think it's really hard to evaluate Taylor based on her 8.9 min a game this year at Mich. There are a lot of variables that went into Taylor's and Grace's playing time based on need and team dynamics. I have the feeling that if MN had a deeper bench with veteran leadership I don't think you see Grace play anywhere near those minutes but Coach P had little choice. In the case of Taylor, if Mich has some veterans in front of her you might have the coach dictating how she wants her to play. Essentially, saying I need you to go in for 3 min stints to give starter X a breather, but I don't need you launching threes and I prefer you just lock them down on Defense when you're in there. So basically I'm saying, there is no way to compare GG & Taylor as I don't think their situations were similar.

"Taylor is a great addition to our program," said [Coach Dawn] Plitzuweit. "She is an athletic perimeter player who has the ability to impact the game in many ways. She pushes the ball up the floor, she gets to the rim and creates shots either for herself or for her teammates. She moves well without the ball, and she defends and rebounds at a high level. Taylor was a two-time state champion at Hopkins and she is someone whom our community knows well. We are really excited about having Taylor come home and play for the Gophers, and we look forward to her continuing to grow and develop her game."

"Taylor is a great addition to our program," said [Coach Dawn] Plitzuweit. "She is an athletic perimeter player who has the ability to impact the game in many ways. She pushes the ball up the floor, she gets to the rim and creates shots either for herself or for her teammates. She moves well without the ball, and she defends and rebounds at a high level. Taylor was a two-time state champion at Hopkins and she is someone whom our community knows well. We are really excited about having Taylor come home and play for the Gophers, and we look forward to her continuing to grow and develop her game."

Coach P. likes her game. She knows more than us. Some of you probably think you know more than Coach P. but you don’t.

Don’t feel like we have enough information but she should provide depth . I am hoping for more….Go Gophers n welcome Taylor !!

She was a freshman. I think in general women’s players develop a bit slower. I wouldn’t be so skeptical based on first year statistics.
Not really skeptical...just wondering about the comments of too many good players? I'm guessing Woodson can be good or she wouldn't have landed the Michigan scholarship and been scooped up quickly by the the Gophers if there wasn't potential.
Improved depth is helpful but to make a jump we need an impact starter from the portal and don't see that yet.

Coach P. likes her game. She knows more than us. Some of you probably think you know more than Coach P. but you don’t.
I think people forget that Coach P was at USD before WV and was likely at several AAU games that Taylor played in. She might have known that Taylor wasn't a legitimate option for her USD squad but was scouting other players who were playing against Taylor. So, I agree that she knows more than us and likely has a first-person assessment of her skills and not just tape.

Last edited:

No, not SDSU 😱 - she took USD to the Sweet 16 in 2022. We also had a team in 2020 that was ranked #17 in the AP poll, and #12 in the Coaches poll. Who knows what we could have done if the tournament hadn’t been canceled. And all of this was done with players that were not recruited by power schools.

Last edited:

No, not SDSU 😱 - she took USD to the Sweet 16 in 2022. We also had a team in 2020 that was ranked #17 in the AP poll, and #12 in the Coaches poll. Who knows what we could have done if the tournament hadn’t been canceled. And all of this was done with players that were not recruited by power schools.
My bad, sorry for the mixup with SDSU. In SD that's like mixing up Iowa State with Iowa depending on who you root for. In terms of 2020, yeah Covid was a kick in the teeth that year for the Coyotes wasting a 30-2 season. However on a selfish note, if they go on a tourney run that year to let's say the Elite 8, Coach P is likely coaching for another P5 program right now.

I think it's really hard to evaluate Taylor based on her 8.9 min a game this year at Mich. There are a lot of variables that went into Taylor's and Grace's playing time based on need and team dynamics. I have the feeling that if MN had a deeper bench with veteran leadership I don't think you see Grace play anywhere near those minutes but Coach P had little choice. In the case of Taylor, if Mich has some veterans in front of her you might have the coach dictating how she wants her to play. Essentially, saying I need you to go in for 3 min stints to give starter X a breather, but I don't need you launching threes and I prefer you just lock them down on Defense when you're in there. So basically I'm saying, there is no way to compare GG & Taylor as I don't think their situations were similar.
Yes really no comparison one was on the All Freshman Big10 team…

Make no mistake: Love that Woodson joined the squad - she's a great get.
I only compared the two as someone earlier in the thread had listed the '24 depth chart and Woodson was starting with GG as her backup. Just not sure GG would be displaced.

Top Bottom