Taylor Martinez

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/17/taylor-martinez-really-close-to-returning/

Nebraska has been without its long-time starting quarterback since mid-September. In the midst of mid-October, that could change in short order.

While Taylor Martinez was still sidelined from practice and still wearing a boot on his injured foot Wednesday, Bo Pelini appeared more confident than he has the past couple of weeks that the senior is on the verge of a return.

“I think he’s really close,” Pelini said following practice Wednesday. “Yeah, I am,” the coach added when asked if he was optimistic Martinez would be available for the Cornhuskers’ game against Minnesota Saturday.

Martinez suffered what was later diagnosed as a turf toe injury in the Oct. 14 loss to UCLA. and has not played since. The injury has kept Martinez out of the past three games, all of which have been wins by at least 20 points.

Replacing Martinez has been the combination of freshman Tommy Armstrong Jr. and senior Ron Kellogg III.

Thanks. It will be interesting to see. If he is back, will he be a little rusty?

I hope so.

rustygriswold.jpg

A non-mobile Taylor Martinez would be perfect for us. The guy is an atrocious passer, but he kills you with his feet. I'd love to see him come back and not be a mobile threat. That helped us a TON with today's win.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/17/taylor-martinez-really-close-to-returning/

Nebraska has been without its long-time starting quarterback since mid-September. In the midst of mid-October, that could change in short order.

While Taylor Martinez was still sidelined from practice and still wearing a boot on his injured foot Wednesday, Bo Pelini appeared more confident than he has the past couple of weeks that the senior is on the verge of a return.

“I think he’s really close,” Pelini said following practice Wednesday. “Yeah, I am,” the coach added when asked if he was optimistic Martinez would be available for the Cornhuskers’ game against Minnesota Saturday.

Martinez suffered what was later diagnosed as a turf toe injury in the Oct. 14 loss to UCLA. and has not played since. The injury has kept Martinez out of the past three games, all of which have been wins by at least 20 points.

Replacing Martinez has been the combination of freshman Tommy Armstrong Jr. and senior Ron Kellogg III.

That was 5 days ago.

I think he'll play. Gotta do our best to contain Abdullah and make Martinez beat us through the air.

Had lunch today with a Husker friend, the most hardcore of big red fans, and he says he would much rather Martinez stay on the bench.

I think I'd prefer a rusty Martinez myself next week.

Beg to differ. Martinez is a more reliable passer than the freshman, Armstrong, and he's a great scrambler. We have a better shot without him, as the back-up has been intercepted more than Martinez. But it looks like Martinez will start.

ESPN: Taylor Martinez returns to practice

Nebraska quarterback Taylor Martinez returned to practice on Sunday after a five-week layoff due to a foot injury, but his availability for Saturday as the 24th-ranked Huskers visit Minnesota remains in question.

“I thought he looked good, but we didn’t give him a lot,” coach Bo Pelini said on Monday. “We’ll just see how it goes as the week goes on, how he feels.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/87173/taylor-martinez-returns-to-practice

Go Gophers!!

Had lunch today with a Husker friend, the most hardcore of big red fans, and he says he would much rather Martinez stay on the bench.

Is that similar to a Dirty Sanchez?

I'm a member of a couple of Nebraska message boards and there was a lot of support for permanently replacing martinez after the SDSU and Ill games. However, after the Purdue game, the sentiment seems to be that a healthy martinez is Nebraska's best option at quarterback. It sounds like he will be back for the Minnesota game. The big question will be whether he is finally healthy and has all his mobility or if he will be turf-toe Martinez that is not a running threat at all. If it is the latter, Nebraska could be in for a long day in Minny. I just hope if that happens that Bo will pull him and put Armstrong in (although judging by Bo's track record, if Martinez starts, he will finish the game even if he has to do so on crutches).

There are times when Martinez plays like his hair is on fire, but I can never understand why some folks don't see his talent, erratic though he may be. I think his style can be disruptive to his team's rhythm, but he can pull a play out of nowhere with the best of them. Granted, at some points he'd be better off not thinking outside the box, but the guy can play.

Big thing for us is stopping Abdullah.

There are times when Martinez plays like his hair is on fire, but I can never understand why some folks don't see his talent, erratic though he may be. I think his style can be disruptive to his team's rhythm, but he can pull a play out of nowhere with the best of them. Granted, at some points he'd be better off not thinking outside the box, but the guy can play.

Yup. I think he could go for 200 if things start to go south for the Gophers.

Yup. I think he could go for 200 if things start to go south for the Gophers.

Since I think you're awfully astute about college football, your pessimism is really starting to erode my optimism about Saturday.

Well the two previous games we have seen him.....he's looked pretty darn good. Obviously his scrambling ability really hurt us in the past.....so if he's still slightly hobbled, I can deal with that.

Since I think you're awfully astute about college football, your pessimism is really starting to erode my optimism about Saturday.

Far from astute, but there are a few things I put a lot of weight into and WHEN you play someone is one of the biggees. The weeks leading up to the Northwestern game played out almost precisely how I hoped/expected they would; Gophers got healthy on the bye week, NU followed up a tough loss in a game in which they had put a TON of emotion and energy into and were drained, and followed it up with a monumental drubbing at Madison. I thought the Gophers had a really good chance for those reasons.

Maybe I'm giving Nebraska too much credit but the fact is, THEY are the ones coming off a bye week, and the two games before the bye week (Illinois and Purdue) were basically cupcake NC games. They could be a little rusty, as could Martinez, but for these reasons I'm just not optimistic. They have more talent. Period.

Far as I can tell, BT teams are 8-4 coming off the bye week, with two of those losses being against Ohio State, and a third being a horrible Purdue team playing at Nebraska. If you're looking for upside, the only ROAD team to win after their bye was Michigan State winning in Iowa, perhaps a letdown game for Iowa after winning a trophy game on the road.

I could be completely wrong though, what do I know. I'm a Kill fan, I absolutely without question think the Gophers are in the right direction and trending upwards, and it wouldn't absolutely shock me if they win 2 or even 3 more games, but I just don't like this one.

Far from astute, but there are a few things I put a lot of weight into and WHEN you play someone is one of the biggees. The weeks leading up to the Northwestern game played out almost precisely how I hoped/expected they would; Gophers got healthy on the bye week, NU followed up a tough loss in a game in which they had put a TON of emotion and energy into and were drained, and followed it up with a monumental drubbing at Madison. I thought the Gophers had a really good chance for those reasons.

Maybe I'm giving Nebraska too much credit but the fact is, THEY are the ones coming off a bye week, and the two games before the bye week (Illinois and Purdue) were basically cupcake NC games. They could be a little rusty, as could Martinez, but for these reasons I'm just not optimistic. They have more talent. Period.

Far as I can tell, BT teams are 8-4 coming off the bye week, with two of those losses being against Ohio State, and a third being a horrible Purdue team playing at Nebraska. If you're looking for upside, the only ROAD team to win after their bye was Michigan State winning in Iowa, perhaps a letdown game for Iowa after winning a trophy game on the road.

I could be completely wrong though, what do I know. I'm a Kill fan, I absolutely without question think the Gophers are in the right direction and trending upwards, and it wouldn't absolutely shock me if they win 2 or even 3 more games, but I just don't like this one.

Just an FYI...the Purdue vs Nebraska game was at Purdue, not that it changes anything though.

Nebraska's defense has been downright bad at times this year. We are arguably a notch above their last two opponents (Purdue and Illinois), but I could see Nebraska looking down on us and lumping us in with those two. With Northwestern's buzz coming into the year, its possible Nebraska looks past us to games against NW and Michigan, assumes that our win last week was a fluke, and overlooks us. I wouldn't take an even-money bet on the Gophs this Saturday, but I'm also not ready to pencil this one into the "L" column just yet.

Martinez is a gametime decision. Pelini said he's likely to play but how much is still to be determined. We could end up seeing all 3 of their QB's Saturday.

Martinez is a gametime decision. Pelini said he's likely to play but how much is still to be determined. We could end up seeing all 3 of their QB's Saturday.

Between our two teams, we may play almost as many QB's as the vikings.

A non-mobile Taylor Martinez would be perfect for us. The guy is an atrocious passer, but he kills you with his feet. I'd love to see him come back and not be a mobile threat. That helped us a TON with today's win.

He threw for over 300 yards at 72% against you last year...

He threw for over 300 yards at 72% against you last year...

And how many were on the run outside the pocket? If he's non-mobile, he doesn't scare me. If he can escape the little pressure the Gophers put on him, then there can and will be trouble.

And how many were on the run outside the pocket? If he's non-mobile, he doesn't scare me. If he can escape the little pressure the Gophers put on him, then there can and will be trouble.

Pretty sure the only way they play him is if he is mobile since that is such a huge part of his game. If he can't move they will go with the guy that has been playing the past few weeks I would assume.

Ahh, well with all due respect, your perception of him isn't quite on point.

How many of his passing yards were on runs outside the pocket? Hardly any. He's a dual-threat, but when he throws the ball, he's actually a pocket passer. He does very poorly on rollout throws. It's been a few months since I watched the entire game, but I can't recall a single pass outside the pocket that went for many yards. Check the highlights - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSAV0IzWwqs

All that is to say I'm a bit confused because it seems like you're diverging from your original point about him being an atrocious passer.

Ahh, well with all due respect, your perception of him isn't quite on point.

How many of his passing yards were on runs outside the pocket? Hardly any. He's a dual-threat, but when he throws the ball, he's actually a pocket passer. He does very poorly on rollout throws. It's been a few months since I watched the entire game, but I can't recall a single pass outside the pocket that went for many yards. Check the highlights - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSAV0IzWwqs

All that is to say I'm a bit confused because it seems like you're diverging from your original point about him being an atrocious passer.

I was thinking the same thing about this. My memory is that he killed us with almost stationary passing all game. No pressure at all from our defense and no need to roll out or even step-up in the pocket. I've never once thought of him as a roll-out passer.

I was thinking the same thing about this. My memory is that he killed us with almost stationary passing all game. No pressure at all from our defense and no need to roll out or even step-up in the pocket. I've never once thought of him as a roll-out passer.

Well that didn't happen today. He wasn't terribly mobile and he was unable to hurt our defense. The only thing we had trouble with all day was Abdullah on the option (which Martinez deserves credit for pitching at the right time). I still don't like Martinez as a qb, but he has had a solid career at Nebraska...

Top Bottom