Taurus Samuels Commits to Gophers!!

per Marcus:

Dartmouth graduate transfer Taurus Samuels, who recently visited with the Gophers men's basketball team, announced his commitment Monday to play for Ben Johnson next season.

The 6-1, 190-pound senior from Oceanside, Calif., averaged 9.4 points, 2.1 rebounds and 1.7 assists while starting all 23 games in 2021-22. Samuels gives the Gophers a playmaking combo guard with experience after they lost their entire backcourt.

Samuels, who scored 22 points against Stanford and 23 points against Georgetown this season, is the fourth player added by the Gophers this spring.

When asked what he could bring to the Gophers next season, Samuels said earlier: "leadership, and just a hard working mentality that wants to do whatever it takes to win."

Ivy League basketball was shut down during the pandemic two years ago, but Samuels averaged 8.4 points, ranked second on the team with 60 assists and started 28 games in 2019-20.

Go Gophers!!

per Marcus:

Dartmouth graduate transfer Taurus Samuels, who recently visited with the Gophers men's basketball team, announced his commitment Monday to play for Ben Johnson next season.

The 6-1, 190-pound senior from Oceanside, Calif., averaged 9.4 points, 2.1 rebounds and 1.7 assists while starting all 23 games in 2021-22. Samuels gives the Gophers a playmaking combo guard with experience after they lost their entire backcourt.

Samuels, who scored 22 points against Stanford and 23 points against Georgetown this season, is the fourth player added by the Gophers this spring.

When asked what he could bring to the Gophers next season, Samuels said earlier: "leadership, and just a hard working mentality that wants to do whatever it takes to win."

Ivy League basketball was shut down during the pandemic two years ago, but Samuels averaged 8.4 points, ranked second on the team with 60 assists and started 28 games in 2019-20.

Go Gophers!!
Huge for us! That'll probably be it for transfers though.

If I didn't know better, I'd almost think that Ben already knew what he needed to do before checking with GH.
If Ben's plan to fix our issues at wing was to add a 6 footer who shoots under 30% from 3 and has a close to 1:1 assist-to-turnover ratio, that is more problematic than if we just missed on people.

Everyone knew we were going after Samuels, the idea that it was the "solution" is what worries folks.

If Ben's plan to fix our issues at wing was to add a 6 footer who shoots under 30% from 3 and has a close to 1:1 assist-to-turnover ratio, that is more problematic than if we just missed on people.

Everyone knew we were going after Samuels, the idea that it was the "solution" is what worries folks.
There isn't an issue at wing until an actual "issue" occurs during the season.

Well, fair enough but I doubt that was the goal. He had two primary ball handlers in Willis and Loewe last year (and they were pretty good at it). I think he wanted to have two again but they might not both start.

Samuel was primarily added to give us experienced depth at PG. After watching film on both he and Cooper, Samuel could be our best defender in the 1 spot. Who knows who Ben will play at the two spot. I think Samuel could push Cooper for minutes and give the FR time to develop. Maybe both can see the floor with Cooper at the two but probably deficient in scoring ability.

Not sure who claimed that Samuel was the "solution". I hope we can match the 1 & 2 production from last season. Our PG play will likely look totally different from Willis.

I'm good with this, they needed backcourt depth and they got it.

Per Marcus Fuller:
Samuels, who has started 52 games in his career, said the Gophers talked during his official visit about needing another veteran backcourt presence. Morehead State transfer Ta'Lon Cooper signed last month, but the other guards on the roster are freshmen Braeden Carrington and Jaden Henley.

"I'm excited to go in and use my experience to help the team," Samuels said. "I think it's a great mix. You've got two transfers and experienced guards coming in, matching with two good young guards who are ready to get after it at the college level. I think it will be a good balance. That's what [Johnson] was trying to do."

WTH, wing? I'm referring to consternation about, "I can't believe Johnson is going to just go with those guys at guard. We need more guards."

They have perimeter players that Ben is comfortable going into the season with. You just have a different view of the players than Ben and staff. I’ll go with Ben and staff.

FWIW...I love this move! We obviously needed more backcourt help. To get a player like Samuels--a talented, smart, experienced veteran--to fill some of that void is awesome! I am really starting to like when Coach Johnson is doing with his team. Last year was a bit rough but I really appreciated the effort exhibited by Ben's recruits--Loewe, Sutherlin (our personal favorite), Battle, etc. He patched together a roster and a team that was overmatched most nights but showed up to compete every day...and won a number of great games in a season that exceeded expectations! Year 2 is here and, understandably, the expectations are different...and I think Ben has met or exceeded those expectations. He has recruited high school well (Payne, Carrington, Henley, Ola-Joseph) and has taken advantage of the Transfer Portal (adding Garcia, Cooper, and Samuels) while keeping 'everyone' together...with the one exception of Thiam. I like the direction we are heading! Thanks Coach!

FWIW...I love this move! We obviously needed more backcourt help. To get a player like Samuels--a talented, smart, experienced veteran--to fill some of that void is awesome! I am really starting to like when Coach Johnson is doing with his team. Last year was a bit rough but I really appreciated the effort exhibited by Ben's recruits--Loewe, Sutherlin (our personal favorite), Battle, etc. He patched together a roster and a team that was overmatched most nights but showed up to compete every day...and won a number of great games in a season that exceeded expectations! Year 2 is here and, understandably, the expectations are different...and I think Ben has met or exceeded those expectations. He has recruited high school well (Payne, Carrington, Henley, Ola-Joseph) and has taken advantage of the Transfer Portal (adding Garcia, Cooper, and Samuels) while keeping 'everyone' together...with the one exception of Thiam. I like the direction we are heading! Thanks Coach!
Great post! Thank you!

They have perimeter players that Ben is comfortable going into the season with. You just have a different view of the players than Ben and staff. I’ll go with Ben and staff.
Yep and I hope I’m wrong.

There isn't an issue at wing until an actual "issue" occurs during the season.
You don’t really believe that. You can certainly find issues with a roster prior to the season. Did it take you until February to realize we lacked front court depth last year? Of course not. I don’t know why being a gopher fan has forced you to pretend like you can’t spit likely future issues.

We are a better team with him than without him. Happy for Ben he got his guy. The whole process seemed like Ben went after him like he was one of those Chihuahuas that keeps barking and grabs your pants leg and won’t let go.

You don’t really believe that. You can certainly find issues with a roster prior to the season. Did it take you until February to realize we lacked front court depth last year? Of course not. I don’t know why being a gopher fan has forced you to pretend like you can’t spit likely future issues.
Don't think this years roster is remotely
comparable to last years. You can't predict the future Bob, let the "issues" play out on the basketball court.

Last edited:

High level P5 basketball teams get guys like this for their back up wing minutes. This is a good pick up and a missing piece. This roster as it is today has a shot to make the tourney which should be the expectation in year 2. Now lets see at least one of the freshman wings show they were underrated and we will be good to go.

Taurus the Bull? I hope it's in the stars that he has a great season. (pro tip - stay away from the seven sisters)

High level P5 basketball teams get guys like this for their back up wing minutes. This is a good pick up and a missing piece. This roster as it is today has a shot to make the tourney which should be the expectation in year 2. Now lets see at least one of the freshman wings show they were underrated and we will be good to go.
Hmmm. I am certain the poohbah will be by to correct your tourney expectation timeline.

Top Bottom