Targeting

Some guy

Reaction score
Over under is .5 for the bowl game

What say you?

I'm going to say over

Wow...a football related question? That's bringing back memories..

'Member when this board was about football?
'Member all those targeting penalties this year? Didn't we lead the nation?
'Member when the worst thing that could happen to our program was Leidner throwing 3 picks in the 2nd half against Wisconsin?
'Member when 8 wins wasn't enough?
'Member when we blew the lead against PSU in the last 30 seconds? 'Member some guy named Brian Smith having 100+ yards that game?
'Member when Mitch got a concussion and Rhoda helped us win a road game?
'Member when we had the lead in the 2nd half of every game?
'Member when the D dismantled NW's offense?
'Member when Dever got all those sick forced fumbles?
'Member when ESPN tried forcing "Slash and Bash" on us?

Would be interested to see if the percentage of targeting penalties is the higher in the second halves of bowl games for graduating players?

How many years do you need to do a statistically significant study?
If the suspension the next game can be mathematically proven to make no difference in the number of violations then maybe we can do away with the awful ejection rule.

Betting the over here; sharps would be all over that line as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Memphis vs Western Kentucky and the Big Ten crew has a Targeting call with ejection. I didn't see it but some comments online didn't think it was a good call.

Memphis vs Western Kentucky and the Big Ten crew has a Targeting call with ejection. I didn't see it but some comments online didn't think it was a good call.

I'm SHOCKED.

Does Mn lead the country in targeting penalties ? Does this have a similar feeling of lack of discipline or are we stretching to find dirty things?

You are stretching.

Even if the coaches were telling them to target (they aren't). And even if they were all good calls (they aren't). And even if the players were getting charged for a crime (they aren't).
Me hitting an opponent high would have no correlation to me being a future rapist or not.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I thought it met the rule requirements and was a decent call. One of the problems I think people are having with that play was that it wasn't a square on hit to the helmet, it was more of a glancing blow to the side of the helmet, so it probably wasn't as serious as the worst targeting violations. But the official was standing on the side to which the tackler's helmet went so it could have been hard to tell that it was a glancing blow. Moreover, the force of the contact is not taken into account, just that it be "forcible", which it was IMO. Desmond Howard immediately and vocally disagreed with the call during the game (despite the replays not being very clear) and that may have colored some of the opinions on it.

If you'd taken the over you'd have been a winner.

I think targeting gets over called. In tonights game he didn't even hit him that hard and the other players who hit the receiver first changed the height and direction of the receivers fall before the hit. It is hard to stop once you commit yourself.

I think targeting gets over called. In tonights game he didn't even hit him that hard and the other players who hit the receiver first changed the height and direction of the receivers fall before the hit. It is hard to stop once you commit yourself.
Yeah that clearly broke the rule. I don't disagree with the rule like you. I disagree that the rule should result in an ejection.

Problem with Duke's hit tonight is that he launched himself. Duke goes for the kill shot a lot, there was a time earlier in the game where he hit a player on the ground with a forearm to the helmet. The guy plays physical but he also plays dirty, he needs to learn to control that or he needs to not see the field.

Duke needs to learn that there is nothing wrong with making a good sound fundamental tackle. He doesn't have to try and take the guys head off for it to be a good play.

Problem with Duke's hit tonight is that he launched himself. Duke goes for the kill shot a lot, there was a time earlier in the game where he hit a player on the ground with a forearm to the helmet. The guy plays physical but he also plays dirty, he needs to learn to control that or he needs to not see the field.

Duke needs to learn that there is nothing wrong with making a good sound fundamental tackle. He doesn't have to try and take the guys head off for it to be a good play.

Amen. I can see the argument on a few of the targeting calls against the Gophers this year, but this one was so blatantly obvious. Duke actually took a run at this guy. The hit was well after the result of the play had been determined and the receiver was totally defenseless. Duke could have easily held up.

Amen. I can see the argument on a few of the targeting calls against the Gophers this year, but this one was so blatantly obvious. Duke actually took a run at this guy. The hit was well after the result of the play had been determined and the receiver was totally defenseless. Duke could have easily held up.

I've been very vocal against some of the targeting calls on the gophers this year. Unfortunately this one I cannot defend and completely agree with you. That was a horrible hit/play by Duke, he needs to change the way he plays or not play.

I will agree that he launched himself but I guess there lies the problem. The player still can't control the angle of fall the opponent takes after other players hit him. I think Duke hits him high stomach ... maybe chest if the angle of fall isn't changed by other players. This was not blatant targeting in my opinion. I don't recall the other hit mentioned . This did not seem like a hit that a player should get kicked out of a game for.

I didn't agree with the call... If it get called consist I might change my view.. No helmet to helmet at all and the receiver ducked then got hit to my eyes in the shoulder... DM 8 just plays hard...

The narrative from the announcers on the targeting call on the 2 pt conversion was disgusting. Thowing a young man under the bus like that in nat tv is a crappy thing to do. Likely the players mannerisms were due to the fact that he was disgusted that he did that and disappointed in himself not that he couldnt believe the call.

I will agree that he launched himself but I guess there lies the problem. The player still can't control the angle of fall the opponent takes after other players hit him. I think Duke hits him high stomach ... maybe chest if the angle of fall isn't changed by other players. This was not blatant targeting in my opinion. I don't recall the other hit mentioned . This did not seem like a hit that a player should get kicked out of a game for.

Simple fix. Play the F-ing ball. He launched, and made forcible contact at the shoulder and above of a defenseless player. Textbook target.

He should learn how to tackle better, but his style was praised as tough football until a few years ago. It will take a little while to get launching out of the game. Harrison Smith for the Vikings and John Lynch of the Bucs are/were big offenders if they played by these rules.

I loved the play by McGee...if the receiver had the ball in his hands when he arrived it would have been dislodged. Playing for the win, accepting the outcome. Kill em all!

He should learn how to tackle better, but his style was praised as tough football until a few years ago. It will take a little while to get launching out of the game. Harrison Smith for the Vikings and John Lynch of the Bucs are/were big offenders if they played by these rules.

Yup, it's time for folks to change how they play. Can't launch yourself anymore or put your head down.

Head up, and wrap them up from now on.

The game isn't gonna change for the defensive players, defensive players gotta change.

I loved the play by McGee...if the receiver had the ball in his hands when he arrived it would have been dislodged. Playing for the win, accepting the outcome. Kill em all!

Just be glad Oregon State isn't the first game next year.

A agree to disagree on this. There was no intent on this hit other than to play hard-nosed football. You could tell he felt bad about the call. It was not outrage. It is just like those QB slides ... the QB has already run for several long runs so the DB/LB come up to make a hard tackle. The QB slides at the last second and the defensive player gets nailed for something that is unavoidable. Rules are set-up unfairly IMO. I think there needs to be two levels of targeting. Some are obvious and others are not. All targeting gets reviewed. So in the review if it not blatant or an obvious call ... then it should just be a 15 yard penalty with no ejection.
Simple fix. Play the F-ing ball. He launched, and made forcible contact at the shoulder and above of a defenseless player. Textbook target.

A agree to disagree on this. There was no intent on this hit other than to play hard-nosed football. You could tell he felt bad about the call. It was not outrage. It is just like those QB slides ... the QB has already run for several long runs so the DB/LB come up to make a hard tackle. The QB slides at the last second and the defensive player gets nailed for something that is unavoidable. Rules are set-up unfairly IMO. I think there needs to be two levels of targeting. Some are obvious and others are not. All targeting gets reviewed. So in the review if it not blatant or an obvious call ... then it should just be a 15 yard penalty with no ejection.

totally agree - rules have been shifted to give the benefit to the offense. this started from the top with the NFL under the guise of player safety but its clear the changes to QB hits and WRs were done for a specific reason, those guys are the stars of the league and sell the most jerseys/tickets so the league will protect them as much as possible

It's not just like those QB slides, it's a completely different play. If they are playing the ball they most likely don't get in a position to make an illegal play. Even had the player caught the ball or Duke jarred the ball free, it's still targeting.

There was no intent? Come one now.

Top Bottom