Targeting Calls

Refs need to have some discretion. I'm not a football guy, but it looked to me like the first one was simply a dirty play that deserved ejection no matter what you call the penalty. The other two looked more borderline to me and appeared in the context of normal play. I thought almost immediately about what you're talking about. How long will it be before a quarterback "fakes" sliding, has a defender pull up and then bolts for another fifteen yards? If the targeting and head contact are going to be penalties, then there has to be some type of misconduct penalty for trying to lure a defensive player into the penalty. If they are trying to protect the offensive players, they should not be allowed to sucker defensive players into it.

1JPqZmS.gif

The only one I was vociferous about and hated was the Celestin call. The other two were late high hits that both Gophers defensive players could have avoided. The play with #13 was so bang bang, it is simple physics that the defender cannot react in time when the QB starts his slide at the defenders knees and so late that helmet contact is made. Celestin didn't intend for helmet to helmet contact, there was just no way for him to avoid it when the QB started his slide right at his knees when he was in position to start his tackle. The late hits on Mitch and the missed PI penalty that injured Still was bush league misses by a lousy Pac10 officiating crew.

Before passing judgement, watch them in real speed. Don't slow it down and watch it in slow motion. Poocks was a cheap shot and deserved the flag but even that play wasn't an obvious blow to the head. You can't expect guys to pull up and "aim" when a QB, WR or RB are going full speed. It's impossible. The automatic ejection is ridiculous harsh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was at the game so didn't get to see replays but I can say that CP12's hit was 100% a cheap shot. So dumb and stupid. He deserved the boot.

Right. All three were legit calls by the rule, and CP12's in particular was a head-scratcher in that one has to try really hard to try to figure out what the hell CP12 was doing and/or thinking. The 3rd-down incompletion for a 3-and-out deep in their territory was long over and he buried a shot to the head of a defenseless receiver. Mason's first reaction on watching the replay was "uh oh, #12".

I watched all the plays last night. Poock for sure targeting. Celestin = no targeting in my opinion (QB slid too late for Celestin to change course). Devers play I'm ok with the targeting call, but I could see them letting it go too.

I watched all the plays last night. Poock for sure targeting. Celestin = no targeting in my opinion (QB slid too late for Celestin to change course). Devers play I'm ok with the targeting call, but I could see them letting it go too.

+1 The only thing I'll add after watching the youtube video of the game is why no call on the hits to Leidner? The one that was on the second to the last play of the game should have been an ejection. It was obvious Leidner was going to take a knee. All the player had to do was touch him. The play where he was sliding was kind of a judgement call, but then so was the Celestin hit and to a lesser degree Devers. I was okay with that call on Devers, but call it evenly.

Before passing judgement, watch them in real speed. Don't slow it down and watch it in slow motion. Poocks was a cheap shot and deserved the flag but even that play wasn't an obvious blow to the head. You can't expect guys to pull up and "aim" when a QB, WR or RB are going full speed. It's impossible. The automatic ejection is ridiculous harsh.

People do get that the ejection portion is reviewed right? Guy up in the booth watches it just like any other replay to determine the nature of the contact and try to figure out if it was called correctly and if there was intent (insert OSU last year comment here about replay official).

It is not like they guy on the field is the only one making the decision that an ejection is warranted, he is relying on the guys in the booth to determine if what he saw was called correctly.

People do get that the ejection portion is reviewed right? Guy up in the booth watches it just like any other replay to determine the nature of the contact and try to figure out if it was called correctly and if there was intent (insert OSU last year comment here about replay official).

It is not like they guy on the field is the only one making the decision that an ejection is warranted, he is relying on the guys in the booth to determine if what he saw was called correctly.

I think the rule(?) is that on non- conference games, the visiting team provides the officials from their conference. Maybe it's time on all non- conference games to have neutral officials. That is, no officials from either conference. I have yet to see Pac12 officials ever give the Big10 a break. I am sure that people elsewhere feel the same about Big10 officials working those games involving the visiting Big 10 teams.

This is obviously a "point of emphasis" this year with the vultures circling with class action lawsuits and, despite the absurdity of the Celestin situation the rule as it is poorly written will kind of, sort of be enforced at times and not at other times, just like every other judgment call.

I have watched a lot of college football this weekend and don't recall any other targeting calls from what I have seen. That being said, our guys need to get that cleaned up.

I have watched a lot of college football this weekend and don't recall any other targeting calls from what I have seen. That being said, our guys need to get that cleaned up.

I know I saw one I think Alabama and USC game but not sure if it's that game.

Nebraska lost a LB in the game against Fresno.

Is all helmet to helmet considered targeting? It seemed like it in that game.

Tori Hunter Junior of the Irish was just targeted where the Texas D back launched himself at Tori's head and took him out. He had to leave the game with a likely concussion. No targeting call and no video review to call the obvious targeting either. I knew these calls would be completely subjective based on the ref crew and the locale.

I just saw that. How was it not the exact definition of a targeting call? Not to mention the officials could review the play afterwards and then call a targeting call, but they didn't.

So do pac 12 refs just call it more or something?

The Texas QB took a shot on the pick he threw as well. Similar to Leidner against tOSU last year.

They've been inconsistent with the call from conference to conference. In the rule book it states, when in doubt it's a foul.

The crew on the gopher game properly enforced and interpreted the rule IMO.

Tori Hunter Junior of the Irish was just targeted where the Texas D back launched himself at Tori's head and took him out. He had to leave the game with a likely concussion. No targeting call and no video review to call the obvious targeting either. I knew these calls would be completely subjective based on the ref crew and the locale.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lAM6FycAyqA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

We noticed this as well. That was the exact definition of targeting.

The fewer targeting penalties called, the better. I could never complain about the refs missing one.

The fewer targeting penalties called, the better. I could never complain about the refs missing one.

Except for the long term viability of the sport. ND lost the senior year of another famous son, Corey Robinson, to concussions. If you care about football overzealous targeting calls are far more preferable.

Top Bottom