Targeting Calls

Except for the long term viability of the sport. ND lost the senior year of another famous son, Corey Robinson, to concussions. If you care about football overzealous targeting calls are far more preferable.

The constant rule changes in the sport are just as much of a threat to the game as big hits. Kickoffs will be taken out of the game within a few years most likely due to fear of concussion and who knows after that? The pass to run ratio will most likely only go up to a point where it's just a 7 on 7 passing league and the game will look nothing like it does now. We see it trending more and more that way every year and that is just as much of a concern for me as the declining participation rates in football. I don't want the numbers to go down in the sport but I also don't want the numbers to stay the same if it means playing a completely different game to the one we know and love.

Also most victims of CTE that we have studied are from 15+ years ago and we really don't have enough data from the newer generation to quantify it's effects or rather the benefit's we've seen from new rules and better helmets. So many simply assume a player who just capped off a 5 year NFL career will experience the exact same symptoms of a guy who played 5 years in the league in the 80's and 90's.

The constant rule changes in the sport are just as much of a threat to the game as big hits. Kickoffs will be taken out of the game within a few years most likely due to fear of concussion and who knows after that? The pass to run ratio will most likely only go up to a point where it's just a 7 on 7 passing league and the game will look nothing like it does now. We see it trending more and more that way every year and that is just as much of a concern for me as the declining participation rates in football. I don't want the numbers to go down in the sport but I also don't want the numbers to stay the same if it means playing a completely different game to the one we know and love.

Also most victims of CTE that we have studied are from 15+ years ago and we really don't have enough data from the newer generation to quantify it's effects or rather the benefit's we've seen from new rules and better helmets. So many simply assume a player who just capped off a 5 year NFL career will experience the exact same symptoms of a guy who played 5 years in the league in the 80's and 90's.

Until the data is in...better safe than sorry.

Targeting rule is a nessesity but it's maddening how inconsistent they have been as a whole on calling from game to game ...

Agree 100%. Sick of the game turning into spread offense pitch and catch. Contrary to all the media noise, the benefits of football may outweigh the risks. There are tens of thousands of kids that are getting much needed exercise and a chance to compete, learn leadership skills.

http://www.startribune.com/in-football-concussion-debate-some-say-benefits-outweigh-risks/391810211/

Targeting rule is a nessesity but it's maddening how inconsistent they have been as a whole on calling from game to game ...
I agree with this 100%. I would also like to see a rule were, if a player gives themselves up too late, they draw an offsetting unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. As things stand now, the offensive player has no incentive, not to draw the targeting call, the disqualification would stand. If the intent is to avoid blows to the head it needs to go both ways.

So...your last paragraph is not really true. Several recent college and high school cases of it. Players are Bigger, faster, stronger. Hard to say that helmets have actually kept up. Seems like some of the biggest targeting hits are on receivers.

I agree with this 100%. I would also like to see a rule were, if a player gives themselves up too late, they draw an offsetting unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. As things stand now, the offensive player has no incentive, not to draw the targeting call, the disqualification would stand. If the intent is to avoid blows to the head it needs to go both ways.

I'm trying to make sense of what you posted...

I'm trying to make sense of what you posted...
What's to make sense of. If the offensive player waits so long to give themselves up, then accidently get hit in the head by the defensive player, it's an off setting penalty. The disqualification stands due to, no tolernce for blows to the head, but the down is replayed. That was the case in the Celestin call, the quarterback gave himself up at the very last second and drew the hit to the head.

Nebraska had a targeting call on Saturday against Fresno State. I saw it live but can't find a video link. The Huskers fans blew a gasket. I told them the Gophers had three against Oregon State and they were all dumbfounded.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

IMHO, what we're seeing is an outgrowth of the whole "big hit" mentality. For much of the history of football, the purpose of a defender was to make the tackle. there were no style points involved - hit the guy with your shoulder, wrap up with your arms and bring him down. Then, maybe in the late 70's, we started to see a different mind-set evolve - mainly in the NFL, with guys like Fred "the Hammer" Williamson and Jack Tatum - where defenders started launching themselves through the air, trying to make a big, showy hit. That, in turn, has evolved into what we see today, with not just NFL players, but college and even HS players who lead with the helmet when initiating contact. It is not necessary - and in some cases, is even ineffective - if the would be tackler launches themselves and misses the target. A good form tackle is still the best way to bring down a ball-carrier, but it doesn't look cool, and won't get you hits on the internet.

With the new rule enforcement, college FB is trying to take the head-shot out of the game. More power to them. Players are going to have to learn how to tackle the "right" way again. If this hurts the Gophers in the short term, it's unfortunate, but for the good of the sport, I think it's necessary.

...where defenders started launching themselves through the air, trying to make a big, showy hit.

I think it had more to do with them trying to injure the player and knock them out of the game. And that is why it is a point of emphasis, to cut down on injuries.

Watch tonight's game and count the number of targeting callls that would have been called by Sat. Pac 12 officials. So far, I have observed 1 in the first 4 minutes and the game. Pass completion by Ole Miss at the 4 yard line. Our friends from the Pac12 would have dropped the flag.

Watch tonight's game and count the number of targeting callls that would have been called by Sat. Pac 12 officials. So far, I have observed 1 in the first 4 minutes and the game. Pass completion by Ole Miss at the 4 yard line. Our friends from the Pac12 would have dropped the flag.

Different play IMO. The FSU player had a low target and Ole Miss player lowered his head. Celestin hit a sliding QB with crown of helmet.

I agree there was inconsistency this weekend, however. Consistency will only come when replay starts tossing guys. I think this should be done after the game for following week. Can't slow games anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just watched Chad Kelly take a hit while sliding that looked almost identical to what happened during our game...Refs didn't even flinch, though.

He missed, but the point remains. These tacklers are going for the QBs feet, they slide, tacklers helmet hits the QB helmet. It is, if not impossible, nearly impossible to prevent IMO. Milliseconds to react. Human reflexes can only work so fast.

Maybe the QB should be an ineligible ball carrier. Ridiculous, yes, and it would change everything about the game, but so is the rule. Or, perhaps rule that the QB can be required to lower his shoulder and take the hit. Outlaw sliding with a defender within 3 yards or some other subjective distance as too dangerous.

Torri Hunter Jr. now on concussion protocol but no flag for targeting= ridiculous. The refs are going to have to improve their consistency on these calls .

I'm sure the NFL had some of the same issues in consistency when implementing the slide rule. Problem is the QB's in college run more with designed run plays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree 100%. Sick of the game turning into spread offense pitch and catch. Contrary to all the media noise, the benefits of football may outweigh the risks. There are tens of thousands of kids that are getting much needed exercise and a chance to compete, learn leadership skills.

http://www.startribune.com/in-football-concussion-debate-some-say-benefits-outweigh-risks/391810211/

Does football teach those things better than other sports? Do you think a kid who was going to play varsity football will instead just play video games?

Also, the problem with any numbers about concussions is that they ignore the fact that you can get CTE without concussions.

Does football teach those things better than other sports? Do you think a kid who was going to play varsity football will instead just play video games?

Also, the problem with any numbers about concussions is that they ignore the fact that you can get CTE without concussions.

I think football teaches teamwork and perseverance more than any other sport I played. Fall camp was always extremely difficult. I think I grew up a lot on the football field.

I think football teaches teamwork and perseverance more than any other sport I played. Fall camp was always extremely difficult. I think I grew up a lot on the football field.

Hockey, hand's down for me. I'm sure I got several concussions and played with them...nobody really cared back then.

Top Bottom