Target Center to host B1G Tournament in 2023 and 2024

I’m so excited for this - great opportunities for Gopher fans and our team!

This is very exciting! Good motivation for our new players!

The Iowegians are coming? Clark drove the viewership numbers on the Big Ten Network this year. Can she do the same for attendance at the WBB tourney in Minneapolis?

Last edited:

Q: Why was Minneapolis selected to host basketball tournaments in 2023 and 2024?
A: Minneapolis has an incredibly strong fan base for college hoops, especially women’s basketball, and will be a potent combination with the Big Ten Conference’s premier brand. It is a world-class city and has a strong, compelling basketball history and multiple championships on the hardwood. Additionally, Minneapolis has been home to some of the biggest icons in basketball, including Lindsay Whalen, Maya Moore, Kevin Garnett, and Flip Saunders. Minneapolis has hosted the biggest events in sports, including the Super Bowl, Men’s Final Four, and Women’s Final Four, and will continue to serve as a best-in-class host city in the future. Additionally, it has a strong WNBA following and showed keen interest to host the women’s tournaments.

The Iowegians are coming? Clark drove the viewership numbers on the Big Ten Network this year. Can she do the same for the WBB tourney in Minneapolis?

True about the Clark effect. I am a Cyclone and Gopher fan, about as far from being a Hawk fan as you can get and I was tuning in to watch her play this year. :oops:

Will be interesting to see if their big bump in home court attendance translates to a big Mpls migration. Might, not like they don't road trip for the football game every other year and know were to go and stay. However, WBB road tripping isn't much of a thing. Not going to count all of the Indiana fans showing up this year in Indy, really not much of a roadie for them. Still, having this in a Big 10 school city makes sense especially in a state with a good following for girls HS and women's college.

I'm not much of tournament guy, my state of Iowa Cyclones are fanatical about the Big 12 tournament but I just see it as an exhibition, sometimes fun to watch but it's just an exhibition with a longshot prize for some team to make the NCAA. With that said, the Big 10 WBB tourney was pretty good watching this year. With the games only three miles from my house it's likely to move attending up the scale for me.

I'm excited about both the men's and women's BIG tourneys coming to Minneapolis. Like ISUNorth guy or gal, I'm not normally a conference tourney guy, but when it's in town, I'll almost surely attend. And maybe if we're lucky, the Gophers will at least be on the bubble and those games will mean something to the Gophers.

Top Bottom