Tara VanDerveer Retires

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score

One of the greatest Gopher wins was defeating the Cardinal in Palo Alto to move on to the regional

STANFORD, Calif. – Stanford's Setsuko Ishiyama Director of Women's Basketball Tara VanDerveer, who has won more NCAA college basketball games than any coach in history, announced her retirement on Tuesday, April 9. Negotiations are underway with Kate Paye, who played under VanDerveer from 1991-95 and has been a member of her staff for the past 17 seasons, to become VanDerveer's successor. Paye would become the program's fifth head coach beginning with the 2024-25 season.

In 45 years as a head coach at Idaho (1978-80), Ohio State (1980-85) and Stanford (1985-95, 1996-2024), VanDerveer amassed an NCAA-record 1,216 victories. In 38 seasons at Stanford, she led the Cardinal to three NCAA championships – 1990, 1992 and 2021 – and 14 Final Fours

She wanted to save the Pac-12. Now west coast Stanford is in the ACC on the east coast.

Long time Stanford assistant (and former Lynx player) Kate Paye is expected to get the job. I would think that would minimize any players leaving the program.

Long time Stanford assistant (and former Lynx player) Kate Paye is expected to get the job. I would think that would minimize any players leaving the program.
It will also eliminate a coaching shuffle that would have ensued from hiring a coach from outside the program.

The Stanford degree gives you access to a very valuable brand so they're generally shielded from portal nonsense. That said, they're also stuck with recruiting the "old way" while many teams are churning, so it might be a detriment.

I thought Stanford would hire Lindy La Rocque, but if Stanford goes with Paye, I think La Rocque will jump shortly to a much bigger job.

Last edited:

Tara has coached 7 years longer than Geno and has three more wins. She'd be all everything if he wasn't lurking. How much of a factor was retiring as the all time wins leader? Any? Some?

Top Bottom