Tanner on Mo: "I don't think anybody should ever wear the number 24 ever again at this university for what he's meant to the culture, to the team.''

Retire his number would be a hard No. someone next year should be wearing it.

Honor Mo, absolutely, as long as others are honored like have been posted in this thread.

I don't understand the idea behind not wanting to retire jerseys. I get that we haven't done that yet for any other player. What's the big difference in honoring vs retiring, other than the obvious? Mo is an all-time gopher and deserves to get his legacy cemented on the stadium and the program's history at large in some fashion. Some people seem super adamant about not retiring jerseys and I don't know why. There are plenty of other numbers for players to wear. Someone care to enlighten me? I made a post about retiring/honoring numbers in the past and here are some of the players I think should get this honor, one way or the other: Thompson, Maroney, TM2, JMS, Johnson.

I don't understand the idea behind not wanting to retire jerseys. I get that we haven't done that yet for any other player. What's the big difference in honoring vs retiring, other than the obvious? Mo is an all-time gopher and deserves to get his legacy cemented on the stadium and the program's history at large in some fashion. Some people seem super adamant about not retiring jerseys and I don't know why. There are plenty of other numbers for players to wear. Someone care to enlighten me? I made a post about retiring/honoring numbers in the past and here are some of the players I think should get this honor, one way or the other: Thompson, Maroney, TM2, JMS, Johnson.
You are going to HAVE bo go back decades from the end of your list to be righteous. Therein lies the problem.

You are going to HAVE bo go back decades from the end of your list to be righteous. Therein lies the problem.
I'm confused. I've only been around gopher football for about 20 years and those are the people, from my memory, that I think could possibly receive any sort of honor like that. I am of the younger demographic on this forum, being that I am a student, so my history and memory of this team are a little spotty compared to others. Am I not righteous for these reasons or are retiring numbers not righteous? Help me out here. I would like an answer to my initial question. The logic has always confused me.

I’d have no issue with the following players being honored:
Mo
Tyler Johnson
Winfield
Carter
Thompson

I’d have no issue with the following players being honored:
Mo
Tyler Johnson
Winfield
Carter
Thompson
I too think Winfield should be honored in some way. I didn't put him on my list however because he was only here for a couple of years and some might say that's not enough. I personally dont care how long a player is here. If they make an impact, thats all that should matter.

Because you already have a number shortage. There is currently 100 available numbers 0-99 according to NCAA rules. We have already retired 5 jersey numbers, if you add the 5+Mo you already have cut your available numbers down to 89 for a program that rosters around 110 players.

There are 103 players currently on the roster and a handful of shared numbers already. Even if you were to double up every available number you still would need about 60 numbers which means you can only retire 40. With the 140 year history of the Gophers, that's one every 3.5 years without even counting the future. You named 4 players who graduated within a 4 year period where we didn't even win a national championship; if TM2/JMS/Johnson/Mo all pass the bar for number retirement you easily have 100 more past Gophers that do as well.

Even if you raise the bar significantly and only retire about 20 numbers from this year and the past, that bar will have to raise over time as we approach that limit of 40.

Something like a ring of honor allows you to keep adding on, if college football and the Gophers still exist 1000 years later they could have 200 members and still add more as appropriate without an issue.

Because you already have a number shortage. There is currently 100 available numbers 0-99 according to NCAA rules. We have already retired 5 jersey numbers, if you add the 5+Mo you already have cut your available numbers down to 89 for a program that rosters around 110 players.
I see, thank you. One more number wouldn't hurt though, and I think that honor should be Mo's.

if TM2/JMS/Johnson/Mo all pass the bar for number retirement you easily have 100 more past Gophers that do as well.
Blatant cap. I would love to see you "easily" list 100 players who are all on the same level as these guys. Morgan, Johnson, and Mo all hold numerous records and took this program to the next level.

Many of them are already honored with banners in the concourse. Hard to miss. Have you been to a game there?
I was there 7 times this year and never saw a banner. Are they all on the home field side of the concourse?

Blatant cap. I would love to see you "easily" list 100 players who are all on the same level as these guys. Morgan, Johnson, and Mo all hold numerous records and took this program to the next level.
I couldn’t name 100 but shortlist would include Weber, Maroney, Barber, Ron Johnson, Decker, Setterstrom, Eslinger, Ben Hamilton, Ben Utecht, Matt Spaeth.

We would no longer have the following numbers available.

2 - Tanner Morgan
3 - Ron Johnson
6 - Tyler Johnson
7- Eric Decker
8 - Adam Weber
10 - Paul Giel
13 - Rashod Bateman
15 - Sandy Stephens
21- Marion Barber
22 - Laurence Maroney
24 - Mohamed Ibrahim
54 - Bruce Smith
55- Ben Hamilton
60 - John Michael Schmitz
61 - Greg Eslinger
68 - Mark Setterstrom
72 - Bronco Nagurski
78 - Bobby Bell
89 - Matt Spaeth

I like the idea; except where do you draw the line? When you look at professional sports, many people complain that their favorite player didn't make the hall of fame. Take a look at how long it took for Tony Olivia to make it. I don't know however if this is a problem for the Twins/Vikings etc., as to their ring of honor.

In addition, I believe this situation would be worse for college athletics. I could picture an ex-player whining that he/she wasn't honored and was no longer going to support their school anymore.

Perhaps this isn't an issue.

I was there 7 times this year and never saw a banner. Are they all on the home field side of the concourse?
Now that we've talked about it, I'll bet you'll see them next fall. While large, due to the colors, they really don't stand out that much. They kind of blend in with the stadium

Now that we've talked about it, I'll bet you'll see them next fall. While large, due to the colors, they really don't stand out that much. They kind of blend in with the stadium

Throughout the entire Stadium or just on the Home/South side? I think I have only walked that side of the concourse twice throughout it's existence.

Most of my time in the concourse this year was scouting out the beer selection at each vendor as it seemed to have changed. Never found any Summit Brewing product.

Darrell Thompson, Tyrone Carter, Maroney, Barber, Ben Hamilton, Eslinger, Setterstrom, Utecht, Spaeth, Decker, Ron Johnson

How many records did they break? Not taking away the contribution of others but breaking records is clearly another level of greatness.

Throughout the entire Stadium or just on the Home/South side? I think I have only walked that side of the concourse twice throughout it's existence.

Most of my time in the concourse this year was scouting out the beer selection at each vendor as it seemed to have changed. Never found any Summit Brewing product.
They are framed portraits on the wall of the concourse throughout the stadium. There's a pic on the gophersports website that sort of shows it. I tried to attach it directly but it's too large. The pic appears to show the portraits that recognize some of the other teams at the University but now that you've seen it you can look out for them.

Darrell Thompson, Tyrone Carter, Maroney, Barber, Ben Hamilton, Eslinger, Setterstrom, Utecht, Spaeth, Decker, Ron Johnson

How many records did they break? Not taking away the contribution of others but breaking records is clearly another level of greatness.

How exactly would the O-Line guys (ie Hamilton, Eslinger & Setterstrom) break records?

They are framed portraits on the wall of the concourse throughout the stadium.
Thanks, I will have to get there early for a game next year and check everything out. Been at least 5 years since I walked the entire concourse.

Last edited:

Thanks, I will have to get there early for a game next year and check everything out. Been at least 5 years since I walked he entire concourse.
Check out the link I just attached to my previous message. I might have edited it after you replied.

Easily the toughest runner I have watched at the U. There is no other back we have had that consistently made 4-5 yards out of nothing.
Humble guy. Never hardly heard him say a word. All business. Stud in every sense of the word. Gonna miss this guy, there has not been one better(RB) to wear Maroon and Gold IMO.

Check out the link I just attached to my previous message. I might have edited it after you replied.

Cool gallery, including the U2 photos. Very fun night.

I think there are a few more banners, portraits, plaques etc on the Homeside. That seems reasonable as that's were the Club, Suites, Press Box and museum are located.

Ent
Entire concourse. In the middle coming down from the ceiling. Large banners with action shot pictures of the players. Maybe 15 feet up from floor. Hard to miss.

Ent

Entire concourse. In the middle coming down from the ceiling. Large banners with action shot pictures of the players. Maybe 15 feet up from floor. Hard to miss.
I sit behind the Visitors bench, and half the time enter the on the plaza, so not much concourse to walk through. The other times entering near the student section I must have been more focused on beverages or hustling to my seat before kick-off.

Looking at the gallery that Darren posted, some look vaguely familiar but I did not realize they were meant to be an honor for Gopher greats.

I sit right beneath the retired numbers. Those I notice every game.

How exactly would the O-Line guys (ie Hamilton, Eslinger & Setterstrom) break records?
Not records for them, but awards.
A player should be an All-American and or multiple years of being first or second team all Big Ten or win some national awards or set multiple school records (leaning more towards career records not game or season) in order to even be considered for the Wall of honor.

Mo would be a consideration because of the records he broke and awards won: National Comeback POY and All-Big Ten
DT was Big 10 Freshman of the year and a 3 time 1st or 2nd team All-Big plus he held most of the records that Mo broke, so he should be considered for it as well.
A few others: Greg Eslinger: 2 time All-American, Outland and Rimington Trophy winner, 3 time All-Big 1st team.
Ben Hamilton: 2 time All-American and All-Big 1st team
Tyrone Carter: 2 time All-American and 3 time All-Big 1st or 2nd team and Jim Thorpe Award
Matt Speath: All-American, John Mackey Award winner and 2 time 1st team All-Big

Could add more but not enough time to look at all the Gopher Records

I would say no on AW Jr. He had the 2019 year in which he was All-American and All-Big Ten, but didn't have other years of being named either. He was a damn fine player and we have had many, but not a career worthy of being honored in the way that the above should be.

I'm confused. I've only been around gopher football for about 20 years and those are the people, from my memory, that I think could possibly receive any sort of honor like that. I am of the younger demographic on this forum, being that I am a student, so my history and memory of this team are a little spotty compared to others. Am I not righteous for these reasons or are retiring numbers not righteous? Help me out here. I would like an answer to my initial question. The logic has always confused me.
College already had to double up on numbers. Then with over 100 years of gophers to honor there's no way you can do it. A ring of honor type thing makes more sense.

The real question is if solid bronze is enough structurally to tower over the stadium appropriately…

Not records for them, but awards.
A player should be an All-American and or multiple years of being first or second team all Big Ten or win some national awards or set multiple school records (leaning more towards career records not game or season) in order to even be considered for the Wall of honor.

Mo would be a consideration because of the records he broke and awards won: National Comeback POY and All-Big Ten
DT was Big 10 Freshman of the year and a 3 time 1st or 2nd team All-Big plus he held most of the records that Mo broke, so he should be considered for it as well.
A few others: Greg Eslinger: 2 time All-American, Outland and Rimington Trophy winner, 3 time All-Big 1st team.
Ben Hamilton: 2 time All-American and All-Big 1st team
Tyrone Carter: 2 time All-American and 3 time All-Big 1st or 2nd team and Jim Thorpe Award
Matt Speath: All-American, John Mackey Award winner and 2 time 1st team All-Big

Could add more but not enough time to look at all the Gopher Records

I would say no on AW Jr. He had the 2019 year in which he was All-American and All-Big Ten, but didn't have other years of being named either. He was a damn fine player and we have had many, but not a career worthy of being honored in the way that the above should be.
Again, there's large individual banners of most of them in the concourse.

2 of those 4 are unlikely to be drafted and Johnson went 161st overall. 278 Gophers have been drafted and 152 of them before Johnson. Some of that, especially for Mo, is their style of play not matching with the current style NFL teams are looking for but the majority of those 152 are on the same level as those 4.

If you look at All Americans, 73 Gophers have been first team All Americans which Morgan, Johnson, and Mo never achieved.

Records are also misleading because the game has changed so much over time. If you compare the 1960 Gophers to these guys, some of the 1960 team such as Sandy Stephens are certainly on the level of the players you mentioned. In 1960 Stephens only attempted 62 passes, this year even with missing 4 full games and parts of others with injuries Morgan attempted 107. In 1960 the top 2 rushers (including Stephens) ran the ball 168 times combined, this year Mo alone ran the ball 320 times. Not to take anything away from Mo and Morgan, they had great careers and deserve to be honored, but there are a lot more players at that level that aren't thought of as much because of when they played and the position they played. I would guess few of even the most dedicated Gopher Football fans could name every Gopher in the college football hall of fame and the majority probably wouldn't even recognize every name.

Top Bottom