Tanner Morgan: It’s my full intention to be here at the University of Minnesota through my senior season.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per his conversation with Sansevere:

It’s my full intention to be here at the University of Minnesota through my senior season. I’m not worried about the season after this one.

There have been a lot of very elite quarterbacks at the University of Minnesota. When you think about it, if being the best quarterback in school history is the main goal, you’re going to get lost in what’s important — and that’s winning games every Saturday. At the end of the day, you can’t be the best if you don’t win.

That’s part of being a great quarterback, being the guy that when things get tough people can look to you.

I don’t think you can just keep your nose to the football grindstone with the things going on in our country right now, with the protests and killings of George Floyd and Breonna Taylor. You take a stand that things need to happen and stand up for Black Lives Matter. I’ve heard stories from teammates and friends. Being with them is important at this time. You can’t sit back and say everything is OK, because it’s not. We need change in this country. You can’t just sit on the sidelines anymore.

Go Gophers!!

per his conversation with Sansevere:

It’s my full intention to be here at the University of Minnesota through my senior season. I’m not worried about the season after this one.

There have been a lot of very elite quarterbacks at the University of Minnesota. When you think about it, if being the best quarterback in school history is the main goal, you’re going to get lost in what’s important — and that’s winning games every Saturday. At the end of the day, you can’t be the best if you don’t win.

That’s part of being a great quarterback, being the guy that when things get tough people can look to you.

I don’t think you can just keep your nose to the football grindstone with the things going on in our country right now, with the protests and killings of George Floyd and Breonna Taylor. You take a stand that things need to happen and stand up for Black Lives Matter. I’ve heard stories from teammates and friends. Being with them is important at this time. You can’t sit back and say everything is OK, because it’s not. We need change in this country. You can’t just sit on the sidelines anymore.

Go Gophers!!

Ooooohhh, Tanner. You better watch out. You may have just removed yourself from mjfelton's autograph request list.

Kid is gonna be set up for life. He's already got his degree and will have a few years to get a master's in something.

We can debate what kind of pro career he's gonna have, but at the very least, he's gonna be on an NFL roster for 4-5 years. With the league minimum being 500k per year, he'll be sitting pretty once he's done.

Great to hear this after losing two All-Americans after their sophomore seasons!

The way I look at it, with Tanner Morgan and the Gophers have two years to at a minimum to win a Big Ten West Title. At best, a National Championship.

He is a carbon copy of PJ Fleck. They both dream big and think big.

The Gophers are an exciting team to watch. They are a team you do not take for granted.

The Pros will be waiting regardless of how long he chooses to stay in college.

Last edited:

Kid is gonna be set up for life. He's already got his degree and will have a few years to get a master's in something.

We can debate what kind of pro career he's gonna have, but at the very least, he's gonna be on an NFL roster for 4-5 years. With the league minimum being 500k per year, he'll be sitting pretty once he's done.
If you're smart with your money, that kind of salary can go a long way, and as a backup QB you might never have to take many serious hits. Obviously not satisfying as a competitor, but there's always a silver lining if you look for it.

"MplsGopher, post:
"If you're smart with your money, that kind of salary can go a long way, and as a backup QB you might never have to take many serious hits. Obviously not satisfying as a competitor, but there's always a silver lining if you look for it."

That is playing with smart money. Keep your health and fatten up the piggy bank.

If you're smart with your money, that kind of salary can go a long way, and as a backup QB you might never have to take many serious hits. Obviously not satisfying as a competitor, but there's always a silver lining if you look for it.

Chase Daniels career earnings with 5 starts. His new contract pays him $13.05 million over 3 years! That’s more than Cam Newton and Jameis Winston combined. I’m not saying Tanner is Chase Daniels, but there’s a lot of money to be made, in the right situation, even for a decent backup QB.

If he's in the top 3-4 QB group and 1st rounder, that's tough to pass up. If outside of that group, his academic focus and loyalty to team might be a bigger draw for him, and kudos to him for that. Good guy.

If he were to stay, he could complete a 2-year master's program, or be well on his way to getting through a PhD he could finish up after his pro career. Players like him and St. Juste, who graduated from Michigan in 3 years, will be set for life even if football doesn't work out. Determined individuals who take full advantage of the system and better themselves through it.

If Tanner stays for his senior season, that is great; but he decides to take his talents to the League, I will be happy for him as well. He has been a great addition to our program on the field but also off it as well.

Always said the greatest job in the world is the back up NFL quarterback. You get paid a crap ton to hold a clipboard and watch games. Plus you are generally a fan favorite.

Two thoughts - 1st. Morgan is better right now than the Vikings' current backup QB.

2nd - as much as I like Morgan, the NFL is all about the measureables. Morgan is on the short side for an NFL QB, he does not have the proverbial 'cannon' of an arm, and he is not especially mobile. If he is going to be an NFL QB, it will have to be with the right team in the right system. Ironically, if you were going to ask what NFL team Morgan would be a good fit for, the Vikings would be near the top of the list.

I expect Morgan to do what he feels best, if he has another great year and his expected to go in first, I would think he'd go pro, and wouldn't blame him the least.

Our QB recruiting has greatly improved under Fleck, for the first time I see QB room with plenty of good (albeit unknown) options.

I expect Morgan to do what he feels best, if he has another great year and his expected to go in first, I would think he'd go pro, and wouldn't blame him the least.

Our QB recruiting has greatly improved under Fleck, for the first time I see QB room with plenty of good (albeit unknown) options.

WOAH

A room?

Did we expand and get a QB ROOM?!?!?

Two thoughts - 1st. Morgan is better right now than the Vikings' current backup QB.

2nd - as much as I like Morgan, the NFL is all about the measureables. Morgan is on the short side for an NFL QB, he does not have the proverbial 'cannon' of an arm, and he is not especially mobile. If he is going to be an NFL QB, it will have to be with the right team in the right system. Ironically, if you were going to ask what NFL team Morgan would be a good fit for, the Vikings would be near the top of the list.
I think he's more mobile and has a stronger arm than what seems to be repeated by a lot of people.

I doubt as of today he would fare as well as the Vikings backup. Does he have the potential to be better? Sure.

I think he's more mobile and has a stronger arm than what seems to be repeated by a lot of people.

I doubt as of today he would fare as well as the Vikings backup. Does he have the potential to be better? Sure.
Similar to Leidner with better wrs

If he suddenly is projected to be a first round draft pick, he absolutely should go. It would be absurd not to. He will owe the Gopher team approximately 0.000. Gave us one of the best seasons in history last year, and hoping for more of the same this year.

“It’s my full intention” does give him a little wiggle room, IMO.

As others have said, if he projects as a high first rounder he would be crazy to stick around. But his measurables will most likely keep that from happening. I have always felt he would be here through his senior year, he just isn't the kind of prospect that will excite a lot of NFL teams because he doesn't fit the mold of the guys they want to spend those really high draft picks on.

Doesn't mean he won't have a long and very successful NFL career, just means it is unlikely to start before he uses us all his eligibility.

I don't agree with this at all.

He's 6'2". He doesn't have a weak arm. That's a myth. You cannot complete 65%+ of your passes at the P5 level with a weak arm.

Wilson proved to a lot of scouts that you don't need to be over 6' to play in the NFL and Brees proved that you don't need to be super mobile at 6', just accurate.

Then you have the recent precedent picks like Murray. I don't think most scouts will care about Morgan's height at all as long as he's a little closer to a 70% passer.

Moreover, Morgan is smart, has no character issues, and gets through his reads well. Elway won't draft him, but a competent GM will.

If he has another season like last year, and the Gophers get to the B1G championship game, then I think he could be in line to be a late first-round, early second type of pick behind Lawrence, Fields, & Co.

If we're picking places for him to end up then I would be looking for a team that's going to pick late and gives him a reasonable chance of winning the starting job after 1-2 years. Places like NO and TB would be top of my list for him.

Last edited:

Now we need Tanner to convince Bateman to do the same.

Top Bottom