Tanner Morgan injury watch thread

Seems like it was from hitting the ground, not the hit to the head with the fist.

Hope he gets well soon and is not a long term thing he has to deal with. Football is a violent sport but I have to admit a punch to the head is a new one for me. And apparently it's legal.

given how guarded the Gophers are with any type of injury news, I don't expect a lot of information to be provided.

and given the new post-Tua caution over concussions and head injuries, I think it's doubtful that Morgan is cleared to play at Penn State.

hey, I could be wrong. but teams don't mess with head injuries - especially in the current climate.

"Local medical center" plus "upper body injury" (an odd phrase). Could be concussion or something like a shoulder separation or broken bone.

given how guarded the Gophers are with any type of injury news, I don't expect a lot of information to be provided.

and given the new post-Tua caution over concussions and head injuries, I think it's doubtful that Morgan is cleared to play at Penn State.

hey, I could be wrong. but teams don't mess with head injuries - especially in the current climate.
Never know with concussions (if that is all he is dealing with). Williams for Illinois was in the concussion protocol after their Iowa game and was able to play against us.

Hope he gets well soon and is not a long term thing he has to deal with. Football is a violent sport but I have to admit a punch to the head is a new one for me. And apparently it's legal.
It apparently is legal if he is not defenseless...at least under the targeting protocols.

Don't know if unnecessary roughness can apply while a play is happening but have to admit I don't think I've ever seen quite THAT happen before to anyone other than maybe in the original "The Longest Yard" movie.

It should have been call a personal foul, but because the refs didn't call it current rules did not allow them to apply it after the fact.

Perhaps that is a rule that should change for blatant things like this?

The head is part of the upper body.
The neck and head are not considered part of the upper body. The upper body is from shoulders to waist. Lower body is from hips to toes.

That's what I'm thinking. Maybe a neck vertebrae.
I highly doubt there was a neck vertebrae involved, when he was taken off the field on the cart he was sitting upright with a towel over his head. If it were a neck question he would have had a collar on, laying on his back with the medical staff helping stabilize his neck.

Just based on the way Fleck spoke about him at his Monday presser I will be pretty surprised if he doesn't play on Saturday. Love him or hate him he probably gives us the best shot against Penn state in Happy Valley because that is a really tough environment to play in.

Go Gophers!!
He said he was doing well on PA show today. Said Tanner was at Sunday meetings and film. Said he was participant this morning on the PA radio show. Coach seemed optimistic he Tanner would be ready for Penn State. Said both ILL and MN staff took great care. Said the play was just football, no malicious intent. He even said coach Bielema called to check on Tanner and make sure he was OK. Seems like the bad blood thst existed during Brewster era is gone between staffs.

Just based on the way Fleck spoke about him at his Monday presser I will be pretty surprised if he doesn't play on Saturday. Love him or hate him he probably gives us the best shot against Penn state in Happy Valley because that is a really tough environment to play in.
If it’s truly a concussion then I don’t think anyone should be playing a full contact football game 1 week later, with what we know about the risks of additional trauma before complete recovery from a concussion.

If it’s truly a concussion then I don’t think anyone should be playing a full contact football game 1 week later, with what we know about the risks of additional trauma before complete recovery from a concussion.
Yep, but the way they are treating it really doesn't come across as him being in the concussion protocols. The Drs have full control and if they are letting him attend practice and work with the team then it would seem like he isn't in any kind of concussion program.

I doubt we will get many specifics but just based on what Fleck said about it in his press conference I get the impression he is going to end up playing Saturday.

Williams for Illinois was supposedly in some sort of concussion protocols as well after their Iowa game and he played the full game against us. So who knows.

Ahhhhh….Coach Fleck is taking a page out of Broem and Beilma’s playbook on keeping a starting QB’s playing status hush hush as tactic…I see you Fleck!

Concussion symptoms sometimes get exacerbated when exercising. He could be fine walking around and doing daily tasks, but until we hear that he has been practicing, we just don't know.

Concussion symptoms sometimes get exacerbated when exercising. He could be fine walking around and doing daily tasks, but until we hear that he has been practicing, we just don't know.
Sounds like the Miami Dolphin scenario all over again. Morgan, would jump off a bridge for Fleck, you do not recover from a cold, let alone a concussion that you were sent to the hospital for in one week.

Do we even know for sure it's a concussion?

Sounds like the Miami Dolphin scenario all over again. Morgan, would jump off a bridge for Fleck, you do not recover from a cold, let alone a concussion that you were sent to the hospital for in one week.
The hospital thing should be cleared up as well. Bielema mentioned the hospital in his post game but it sounds like it was the campus medical center. I don't know how Illinois is laid out campus wise but it would be very easy to take a player from Huntington Bank stadium to the Universities medical center to do more thorough testing than what you can do at the stadium. May have been the same thing in this case.

Reality is we don't know, but we do know the medical staff will be making the final calls on Morgan's status and IF they clear him to play then he must be good to go.

Top Bottom