Tanner, Mo & OL at Baldy’s Wednesday

I did! It was actually really fun! I got 3 helmets signed (they only charged $10/ item - but I threw in $60), and the food was good! A long drive for me, but brought my 7 year old and got to meet some of the guys which was really fun too!
LOL! About the only post that dealt with what happened there.

He can’t profit off of his NIL because he doesn’t have a SSN…. so he was not there.
Yeah the U said international students might not be able to make money due to visa rules.

Wonder if Dan was the guy they ran into that with first?

Yeah the U said international students might not be able to make money due to visa rules.

Presumably - Sounds like he’s been working on it for awhile…

He can’t profit off of his NIL because he doesn’t have a SSN…. so he was not there.
You don't have to be a legal citizen as I understand it to have a Social Security number. Probably other rules around it prevented him from earning anything. I had a foreign exchange student and he wasn't allowed to work under their program.

You don't have to be a legal citizen as I understand it to have a Social Security number. Probably other rules around it prevented him from earning anything. I had a foreign exchange student and he wasn't allowed to work under their program.
Yes. The U might not allow him to be "work authorized" so he can't get a SSN. I would think this should be reconsidered, and probably will, in the future.

Yes. The U might not allow him to be "work authorized" so he can't get a SSN. I would think this should be reconsidered, and probably will, in the future.
My understanding was they’ve been working on getting him a SSN for awhile, but government operations are very slow.

International students can get visas and work permits. My wife was one and had a campus job while studying at the U. But I suppose you need a sponsor and if it's just random people giving donations then that wouldn't work.

Not joking. But don't be so over the top lol. If any business shells out even a slightly decent hunk of change, it'll be via check with a 1099 coming the following January, just like they do now for other things. But if someone drops a $20 bill in a jar in exchange for an autograph, there's really no way to track that.

Have you ever heard of a waiter, waitress, or bartender ever indicted on tax fraud?
The IRS imputes tip income to waiters who don't report any; also, many waiters declare their cash tips (or most of them) because it counts toward social security income AND employers have to match the employees' social security contributions on declared tips. Finally, the majority of tips today are reflected on credit card receipts and are reported and easily auditable. There is, today, a lot less tax fraud in tipping than you think. And, other than chump change, all businesses paying NIL type money for appearances are going to send a 1099 MISC payment forms to the athletes in January of the following year to (1) comply with reporting laws and (2) so that they (the businesses) can deduct the payments as business expenses. There ABSOLUTELY is a tax reporting and payment issue for student athletes who are receiving something more than de minimus NIL payments during the year. I suspect Fleck & Co. are all over this aspect and will have tax advice ready for any player who attains that situation.

was hoping to hear what a slimmed down faalele looked like.

ITIN numbers are pretty easy to get
My understanding is that’s not really the issue. He’s on a student visa which only allows him to work on campus or in certain limited circumstances to further his degree/field of study. Autographs at a restaurant doesn’t fit either of those categories.

My understanding is that’s not really the issue. He’s on a student visa which only allows him to work on campus or in certain limited circumstances to further his degree/field of study. Autographs at a restaurant doesn’t fit either of those categories.
I think Daniel Faalele dealing with potential sponsors and getting paid for autographs is much more likely to be part of his professional career moving forward than the other exceptions. I get that it is not his major but that feels like a bit of a superfluous distinction. I have no doubt that your interpretation is correct and it is how ICE would see it. It just feels like it is missing the big picture.

I think Daniel Faalele dealing with potential sponsors and getting paid for autographs is much more likely to be part of his professional career moving forward than the other exceptions.
That’s certainly true for Faalele. Maybe someday that distinction will be recognized in the rules. We‘ll call it the Cardale Jones “We didn’t come here to play school” exception.

Top Bottom