Tanner and Athan Article

Gophergrandpa

Reaction score
Nebraska: Tanner’s performance explained (play calling) and Athan made some rookie mistakes. If Tanner is healthy, bottom line is that PJ now has two good choices, each of which is a meaningful change of pace from the other. I hope Tanner is healthy. I hope both QBs support each other as we close out the season. Go Gophers.

I thought the article was interesting, but I do think it was a little too forgiving of Tanner. Yes Tanner was 6/8 as the article said, but that was only for 36 yards. The article also credited a lot of the success in the second half to the oline being more physical and providing running lanes for Mo, but I think what is missed is that the vertical threat of Athan's passing game helped open up the running lanes as well by not allowing Nebraska to stack the box like it did against Tanner. Athan made mistakes, but overall I think he had more of an impact igniting the offense in the second half than the article gives him credit for.

At the beginning of the year, Tanner was throwing more downfield. It would be interesting to know when he reduced the long throws to see if it coincided with an injury, breakdowns in pass protection, or receivers not getting open.

In an offense with so few weapons outside of Mo, we need Athan’s athleticism. His ability to keep the ball and run helps our zone read game, and the ability to move the pocket with him helps diversify an incredibly vanilla offense and play calling. He also has a stronger arm and I’ve been impressed with his poise.

I truly feel for Tanner, who is a gopher legend and has been let down a lot by the WRs this year, but Athan simply gives us the best chance to win.

Tanner thrives in a clean pocket and when receivers get separation. He is extremely accurate. Clean pocket and receivers getting open are not happening right now, so Athan is way better for us at this time. Athan makes the DE honest with longer throws and keepers. He can also roll with a pocket and get out of a collapsing pocket.

Kirk is similar to Tanner in that he can look like a Superbowl QB when pocket is clean, and when there is a rush, everything falls apart.

Good, thoughtful article.

I believe Kaliakmanis should start against Northwestern, for 3 reasons...

1) Morgan clearly struggled against Nebraska. This was the first time this season he's struggled against a so-so team. Yes, he struggled against Illinois, but Illinois is good team with a really tough defense.

2) We need to get more data on Kaliakmanis.... not just for next season, but even more importantly for the Iowa and Wisconsin games this season. It is crucial to win these last three games in 2022. We need to know if Athan is ready for two huge rivalry games, and can deliver a great performance with our hopes for salvaging the season on the line. He started against Penn State, but that was a tough chance in a brutal environment. I want to see how he does against a 1-8 Northwestern team. Give him a fair shake; that will give us a good read.

3) Nobody on Gopher Hole knows the medical details on Morgan, but concussions are scary. Let him heal for at least this week.

if you have 2 quarterbacks you have none go with one and stick with him.......athan

Excellent, fair article. Thanks for posting. Crap playcalling in the first half, multiple breakdowns by the OL, and an egregious drop by BSF that would've produced a first down inside Nebraska's 30. We'll never know how much difference Athan would've made in the first half, but it's clear the coaches and players did Morgan no favors.

I think almost everyone here would agree Athan did some nice things last week and seems "ready" to take the reigns. His athleticism and ability to push the ball down the field seems to give the team some added dimensions that have been lacking. I'm excited to see him again this Saturday.

Article was nicely written. Agree with others that this article is a little too forgiving for Tanner. You start Athan for point 2 above against 3 defenses coming up who have the ability to stack the box. AK gives you the run threat which keeps the box more honest. Secondly, and more importantly, the 2 QBs look at bare minimum similar. Tanner also has thrown into coverage on that exact same dig route numerous times that they commented on AK doing it. The difference is one is a 6th year senior who should know better. Every snap AK gets helps you not only this year, but for the next 3 years where he is your starter.

Short story is AK gives you a better chance to win now and in the future. He may also give you a deeper floor given his willingness to risk the ball (he is absolutely more of a gunslinger than Tanner and will press the ball deep, which at times will hurt the team as well as help it), but to me that's worth it to build for the future. Let TM heal up and step into that coaching role, which he may very well be built for long-term as well.

Excellent, fair article. Thanks for posting. Crap playcalling in the first half, multiple breakdowns by the OL, and an egregious drop by BSF that would've produced a first down inside Nebraska's 30. We'll never know how much difference Athan would've made in the first half, but it's clear the coaches and players did Morgan no favors.

I think almost everyone here would agree Athan did some nice things last week and seems "ready" to take the reigns. His athleticism and ability to push the ball down the field seems to give the team some added dimensions that have been lacking. I'm excited to see him again this Saturday.
Athan's demonstrated abilities allowed them to open up the playcalling a bit, and as others said he didn't "seem" to add dimensions, he added them, which caused the defense to have to try to adjust. That inturn opened up running lanes and holes for Mo.

I think BSF also made a great sort of reach back catch of a pass that was thrown behind him by Morgan as well. Love Tanner, but to say the first half was on playcalling and teammates is alittle too narrow, IMHO.

Athan's demonstrated abilities allowed them to open up the playcalling a bit, and as others said he didn't "seem" to add dimensions, he added them, which caused the defense to have to try to adjust. That inturn opened up running lanes and holes for Mo.

I think BSF also made a great sort of reach back catch of a pass that was thrown behind him by Morgan as well. Love Tanner, but to say the first half was on playcalling and teammates is alittle too narrow, IMHO.
Meh, it's moot now as I think most or all of us here agree that Athan needs to start moving forward. We can all disagree on the extent to which Morgan was the primary problem with the offense when it struggled this year, but some of that may become evident as we see more of AK. I'm personally excited for it like I said above.

Top Bottom