Tampa area information

FloridaBadger

Reaction score
Won’t try to hide it - Badger fan here who has lived last 15 years in Florida. Thought you might like some ideas of things to do while you are down here. Will add stuff as I think of it:

airports
If flights to Tampa are high, try Orlando (60 minutes), Sarasota, St Pete (if Allegiant flies to MSP), or even Fort Meyers or Gainesville (both about 2 hours from Tampa)

Microbrews - several good ones around Tampa.
- Cigar City is best known, and not far from the stadium (you could walk there and post game celebrate). Jai Alai is their best known product.
- Coppertail Brewing is better in my opinion. Get a tasting flight if you want to experience different types of beer
- Haven’t been to Tampa Bay Brewing or Angry Chair but I hear both are good.

Beaches
Go to Clearwater beach - best sand and beach is wide. St Petebeach isn’t bad, but more space in Clearwater.

Things to do:
- Busch Gardens will be crowded. Lots of roller coaster but get a fast pass
- MOSI (Museum of Science & Industry) - good place if you have kids.
- Zip the Canyons - about 1.5 hours north near Ocala, but worth the drive if you are adventurous
- Swim with Manatees - about 1-1.5 hours north of Tampa. I’ve done fun2dive.com but several tours available if you look online. Be aware - Crystal River is around 72 degrees so it’s not warm water
- Airboat Rides - See alligators and other wildlife. Lots of companies online you can look into.

Last edited:

Microbrews - several good ones around Tampa.
- Cigar City is best known, and not far from the stadium (you could walk there and post game celebrate). Jai Alai is their best known product.
- Coppertail Brewing is better in my opinion. Get a tasting flight if you want to experience different types of beer
- Haven’t been to Tampa Bay Brewing or Angry Chair but I hear both are good.

Thanks for the info, FloridaBadger. There is also an English themed pub (Yeoman's Cask & Lion) downtown where you can get warm ale pumped from a barrel.

Thank you so much! Keep the suggestions coming! Specifically wondering:

1) What area would you recommend staying in/around? I'm only coming 31 - 2 and debating whether to rent a car or just Uber from airport to hotel area, do the game on 1st, Uber back to airport on 2nd.

2) NYE suggestions?

1) What area would you recommend staying in/around? I'm only coming 31 - 2 and debating whether to rent a car or just Uber from airport to hotel area, do the game on 1st, Uber back to airport on 2nd.

2) NYE suggestions?

The Tampa Airport is basically next door to the stadium, so if you got a hotel around the airport/stadium, you could easily just uber it.

Although the game is in Tampa no reason to leave out Florida's Space Coast from your planning. Cocoa Beach down to Melbourne...and the Kennedy Space Center...are two hours east of Tampa. We'll actually be staying in New Smyrna Beach (south of Daytona) and driving over and back for gameday. The drive is not that significant...no hurricanes or snowstorms this time of year. Spent New Years Eve on Cocoa Beach 5 years ago for the Citrus Bowl...it was great.

The Tampa Airport is basically next door to the stadium, so if you got a hotel around the airport/stadium, you could easily just uber it.
Thanks! SHould've mentioned I'm flying into/out of PIE. Google Maps tells me it's still a short drive to the stadium across the bay. Guess I'm wondering if there's a convenient, yet somewhat interesting, place to stay that would be convenient to both places via Uber or if I should get a rental car.

Thanks! SHould've mentioned I'm flying into/out of PIE. Google Maps tells me it's still a short drive to the stadium across the bay. Guess I'm wondering if there's a convenient, yet somewhat interesting, place to stay that would be convenient to both places via Uber or if I should get a rental car.

With your short stay, if you decide to Uber, stay downtown or Westshore area by International plaza. crossing the bridge from St Pete to Tampa can be total gridlock especially on a game day.

2) NYE suggestions?

I live in Tampa. As far as renting a car it depends on what your plans are. If you plan to stay in Tampa the whole time Uber is fine. I have found that the vast majority of the time Lyft is cheaper than Uber here. If you want to go to the beach a ride can get pretty expensive but you wouldn't have to pay for parking so between that and the price of the rental you would probably break about even.

Whether you are flying into PIE or TPA it is pretty quick and easy to get to the stadium.

I would add that the Punta Gorda airport (about an hour south of tampa) has some really reasonably priced flights on allegiance air . Only thing is they fly out of des Moines, Sioux falls or st cloud, not msp. Worth checking into

I would add that the Punta Gorda airport (about an hour south of tampa) has some really reasonably priced flights on allegiance air . Only thing is they fly out of des Moines, Sioux falls or st cloud, not msp. Worth checking into
Good tip. I had no idea this airport even existed! If you fly from StC to PGD on 12/31, it's only $115 one way on Allegiant. The next return is on 1/4 for around $250, so perhaps someone could do better with a one way home from elsewhere on 1/2 or 1/3.

Man, there's a LOT of airports in Fla.

Beautiful beaches all along St. Pete's west and south sides, plus good restaurants in both cities. Call 727-893-8535 for a copy of "Gulf to Bay," a huge, glossy, thick magazine that serves as a "destination magazine" for St. Pete/Clearwater (from Tampa Bay Times). jammed with restaurant, beaches, tourist info. And if you are into art, the Dali Museum in downtown St. Pete is amazing.

Been to Gatorworld? I hear you can watch the gators get fed.

2) NYE suggestions?

6 hour drive to Key West, one of the best NYE street parties there is. Probably too hard to get down there and back for a new years day game but thought I would share. :)

6 hour drive to Key West, one of the best NYE street parties there is. Probably too hard to get down there and back for a new years day game but thought I would share. :)

There is also a ferry from Fort Myers (there may be one from Tampa too, I don't know). It's a fun day trip or overnight!

Got word of an Expedia.com coupon that takes $50 off any activity booking over $100: MYSTERY50. I used it to book a 1-day Busch Gardens ticket with all day dining for 12/31 at $60.99. That's absolutely ridiculous. They have all kinds of activities on there like the zoo, aquarium, etc. Check it out if you're looking for things to do!

Got word of an Expedia.com coupon that takes $50 off any activity booking over $100: MYSTERY50. I used it to book a 1-day Busch Gardens ticket with all day dining for 12/31 at $60.99. That's absolutely ridiculous. They have all kinds of activities on there like the zoo, aquarium, etc. Check it out if you're looking for things to do!
Pay extra when you get there for the fast pass. That week has crazy lines and it can be frustrating.

Was at gator world many years ago. They have shows and such where the gators are worked and fed.
I heard there’s a guy who walks a tightrope over the gators. Me and the kids are bringing our slingshots.

I heard there’s a guy who walks a tightrope over the gators. Me and the kids are bringing our slingshots.
That’s some funny sh.. right there. FYI - i am not going to lurk. Will check in every couple days and answer what I can.

Tampa has more strip clubs and strip malls with "we can fix your PC" signs than any other city in the World.*
* This is an unverified statement

Yeah, but you should be able to trust what Robert Kraft tells you.

In all seriousness, I’ll take golf course recommendations
Sorry for my delay Kelly - like I said, not coming on and not gonna troll. Spoke with a friend who golfs a lot. Innisbrook has 4 courses - all are great. Play their copperhead course if you can as they have the Valspar open there. Southern Hills would be his 2nd choice, with TPC Tampa 3rd. Seamstrong is really nice, but greens fees are high. Hope this helps.

Sorry for my delay Kelly - like I said, not coming on and not gonna troll. Spoke with a friend who golfs a lot. Innisbrook has 4 courses - all are great. Play their copperhead course if you can as they have the Valspar open there. Southern Hills would be his 2nd choice, with TPC Tampa 3rd. Seamstrong is really nice, but greens fees are high. Hope this helps.

thanks!

How is parking at the stadium?
Here is a map. I usually park in the Morgan and Morgan building off Himes and Braddock. Have found south side of stadium are easier to get in & out

Top Bottom