Ta'Lon Cooper is the real deal

Agreed, he's going to be great for this offense. Very excited in early viewing.

Do we have and if so will he play, a second point guard? I hope this isn't the 2nd coming of the Peyton Willis season from last year.

You can't play a guy 40 minutes all year long

Do we have and if so will he play, a second point guard? I hope this isn't the 2nd coming of the Peyton Willis season from last year.

You can't play a guy 40 minutes all year long
I watched him sit in the 1st half.

I watched him sit in the 1st half.
I didn't catch the game last night but Per the report on the home page here at Gopher Hole

On the other side, Ta’Lon Cooper is a high-level Big Ten PG. After playing all 40 minutes tonight, he finished with 17 points, 10 assists and 8 rebounds.

Cooper is going to need to do so much on offense that if he plays 40 minutes per game, he's going to struggle on defense. A PG cannot take many plays off on offense (you can't plop them in a corner and run a pnr with other people).

Cooper is going to need to do so much on offense that if he plays 40 minutes per game, he's going to struggle on defense. A PG cannot take many plays off on offense (you can't plop them in a corner and run a pnr with other people).
You are right. The one thing that will help Cooper sustain, though, is that he doesn't do his work by dribbling ala Carr.

I didn't catch the game last night but Per the report on the home page here at Gopher Hole

On the other side, Ta’Lon Cooper is a high-level Big Ten PG. After playing all 40 minutes tonight, he finished with 17 points, 10 assists and 8 rebounds.
He sat for a minute, either way 39-40 mins isn’t sustainable. Carrington and Battle coming back will allow for Cooper to shorten his minutes

I’d argue this can be done in todays modern offenses. Battle and others can bring up the ball at times too. Although if that’s happening I’d just give Cooper some rest.

I’d argue this can be done in todays modern offenses. Battle and others can bring up the ball at times too. Although if that’s happening I’d just give Cooper some rest.
I think it can be done in modern offenses if you have some position flexibility.

I think Battle is probably closer to a 4 than a 3 (in terms of ball handling). I don't think we have a 2 we're comfortable leading the offense at this point.

But you're right, it's possible to do it today with modern offenses, but we just aren't built for that right now.

I think it can be done in modern offenses if you have some position flexibility.

I think Battle is probably closer to a 4 than a 3 (in terms of ball handling). I don't think we have a 2 we're comfortable leading the offense at this point.

But you're right, it's possible to do it today with modern offenses, but we just aren't built for that right now.
I thought Henley would be able to help too. Truthfully we need Henley, Carrington, Battle, or Samuels to provide 6-8 minutes and allow Cooper to rest. That can be piecemealed pretty easily with our parts imo.

Cooper is pretty good offensively but he is going to struggle defensively against some of the B1G PG's, not sure he is quick enough.
Think that is why Ramberg drew Lamar Norman last night and got so many minutes. Another reason why getting Carrington back and in the swing of things is so important.

Cooper is pretty good offensively but he is going to struggle defensively against some of the B1G PG's, not sure he is quick enough.
Agree. I think the same can be said of others. Carrington is an unknown at this point. Henley needs work, Samuels is limited,etc. I still think Ben will be forced to play zone at some point

He sat for a minute, either way 39-40 mins isn’t sustainable. Carrington and Battle coming back will allow for Cooper to shorten his minutes
What about Samuels spelling him? If he is a ball handler I would much prefer him as an upper classman/transfer than a freshman.

What about Samuels spelling him? If he is a ball handler I would much prefer him as an upper classman/transfer than a freshman.
I want whomever is better. If Samuels is better than sure. I think Carrington is a better player.

you don't remember that prediction I made on page 3 of 121 "All Things Tyus Jones Recruiting Thread?"
That the Gophers will be in Tyus's final five choices as to where he will go to college?

Cooper had a productive game.on O and his D was ok.

IMO, the jury is still out. Let’s see how well he plays against better competition once teams study film and figure out his tendencies, strengths and weaknesses.

IMO, the jury is still out. Let’s see how well he plays against better competition once teams study film and figure out his tendencies, strengths and weaknesses.
No sorry. The tweet is already out. It’s been decided

If he was our second guy all year I’d be worried. Battle and Garcia being the top 2 guys and allowing Cooper to be the 3rd/4th offensive option is pretty feasible.

Top Bottom