Talks underway with Tony Dungy..

Letsgogophers

Reaction score
I've been told by a source close to the athletic dept. that Maturi has a meeting set with Tony Dungy. Dungy would be the "dream coach" that could propel the Gophers to the top of the football world. As with basketball, this would be a home run for Minnesota. No report yet on Dungy's interest, but he certainly has interest in seeing Minnesota do well. Maturi is hedging his bets right now. But if he can land the big fish, Brewster will be history.

Tim Brewster has officially lost the Gophers fans that were behind him and everyone is calling for him to be fired. The majority of fans want the U to go after Tony Dungy, as he is a passionate alum and is technically available. Do you see Brewster being fired, and do you think Dungy would accept the position if offered to him?
-- DJ, Richfield, Minn.
DJ: How about you agree to admit you were drunk and/or emotional when you wrote this, and I'll agree not to rename it "Minnesota/Ole Miss Syndrome."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/stewart_mandel/11/18/pac-10/1.html#ixzz0Y0LN0MSs

I wouldn't blame Maturi for talking to Dungy, but if it has anything to do about
coaching the Gophers, I would keep that pretty quiet and I would
not be spreading that info around until it was a done deal.

I don't think Dungy would be interested in coaching here. The other times he has
been interviewed here he always says he considers himself a pro coach and not
interested in coaching in the collegiate ranks. I do not know how committed he
would be to coaching at all, but things change after you take a little break.

If he wanted to coach, there are about 7-8 NFL teams that would bend over
backwards to get him to coach next year, including probably about 10 million
dollars a year. Still, you never know and if I were Maturi I would talk to him
just to see what he thinks. It never hurts to ask, but like I said - if you
do anything like this you keep this extremely quiet.

I heard from a guy that told me that a friend of his thought he heard someone say something one time.

That makes it official. Dungy will coach the Gophers.

Dungy wants to spend more time with his family, he and his wife want to live in Florida and he has projects/ministries that he wants to be involved with. The only reason he would have in the U is his interested in working with kids and he is a loyal alumnus. I think he has a good relationship with Brewster and I doubt he would want to take a job away from him.

The same thing was said when I reported that the U was talking to Tubby. Same smart comments. Take it for what it's worth.

The same thing was said when I reported that the U was talking to Tubby. Same smart comments. Take it for what it's worth.

Ahhhhh!! In three years you have made 7 posts, and claim to have reported the U talking to Tubby years ago?

You, my friend, are full of BS.

Happy Thanksgiving, wishful one.

There is a fundamental difference between Tubby and Dungy. The only reason Tubby would realistically speak to Maturi would be for a coaching vacancy, whereas Dungy could be in "talks" with Maturi about any number of things. Furthermore, it has been reported that Dungy has flat out said he is not interested in this position. Don't get me wrong - if Dungy was an option, my "give Brewster five years" tune would change instantaneously. That is out of respect for Dungy, not out of any disrespect towards Brewster.

I would be willing to bet large sums of money that this "meeting" has more to do with a few players in our hoops program that have had some legal/moral issues the past month or so, if there`s even any truth to this happening.

letsgogophers joined GH on 11/21/2009.

Letsgogophers Profile

Just another pup.

I heard it from a friend who...

Heard it from a friend, who...

Heard it from another, Maturi's messing around....

Dungy is simply not going to happen. He has accomplished what he wants to in football and is far more interested in his ministry with youth now.

Even if true Maturi is talking to him, which I seriously doubt, it would not do any good at all.

calminnfan...do NOT take anything that ""letsgogophers"" says with a grain of salt, he/she/it is full of bull, just trying to get some attention. look on member list, go to "letsgogophers", will verify that "letsgogophers" joined GopherHole on 11/21/2009.

I've been told by a source close to the athletic dept. that Maturi has a meeting set with Tony Dungy. Dungy would be the "dream coach" that could propel the Gophers to the top of the football world. As with basketball, this would be a home run for Minnesota. No report yet on Dungy's interest, but he certainly has interest in seeing Minnesota do well. Maturi is hedging his bets right now. But if he can land the big fish, Brewster will be history.

I am calling B.S. If you can tell me the nature of the U's first contact with Tubby, I will believe you. Not the names but the scenario. Let's see what you know.

Time for GH Adm. to bump this nonsensical thread.

What better way to make a positive impact in youth than a college football program, countless HS camps and many young lives touched before they can be stained by all the money and fame that comes with the NFL. I just don't think that Tony Dungy wants to coach right now, give it a year or two. I think he is enjoying his time away but that wont last forever and college is a much better way to affect the youth in this nation than a pro football coach. IMHO

I've heard that they are trying to set up talks with Pete Carroll too.

is it April 1st?

Not a chance in hell. There will be no Dungy period.

I've heard that they are trying to set up talks with Pete Carroll too.

You are right on the money, mkAz...USC is gonna fire Pete Carroll, I heard it from a guy who is close to the U of M Sports Information Department.

You are right on the money, mkAz...USC is gonna fire Pete Carroll, I heard it from a guy who is close to the U of M Sports Information Department.
Yes, I know, some very powerful booster at USC are not at all happy with the 3 loses USC had this year and they want him out.

yeppers. I guess maybe Tony Dungy may not be here afterall. Oh Well!

Ignore this thread

If anyone at the U in the athletic department was even dumb enough to spew this crap
they should be booted. All this crap does is try to lessen the ability of the Gophers to recruit.
Reusse should rot for all of his venomous hatred of the Gophers.

The meeting is likely over "how do you feel about the Gopher program, and what can you tell me as a coach who knows how to win so I can determine if Brewster is worth keeping. PS -- would you be willing to visit practices from time to time for "suggestions"?"

I have confirmation from my source. A paper bag full of spray paint. Dungy to coach golfers!

like others have said, it isnt going to happen. I have heard Dungy say on two separate occasions that he doesnt want to coach again/right now and even specifically said that he didnt want to coach college due to recruiting and the cess pool that it is. He also just got pegged by Goddell to be a special adviser to any NFL players who have problems and would like to have those problems be brought to the commissioners office.

I would be willing to bet large sums of money that this "meeting" has more to do with a few players in our hoops program that have had some legal/moral issues the past month or so, if there`s even any truth to this happening.

+1

Are you from Austin?

spam.jpg

Top Bottom