Talent on the rise?

WestTexasGopher

Reaction score
We've had a couple of excellent years (2016, 2014), but the talent increase evidenced in this year’s selections bodes well for the future!

Tanner Morgan, Minnesota (Coaches-2; Media-2)
Rodney Smith, Minnesota (Coaches-2; Media-2)
Rashod Bateman, Minnesota (Coaches-1; Media-1)
Tyler Johnson, Minnesota (Coaches-1; Media-1)
Blaise Andries, Minnesota (Coaches-3; Media-3)
Carter Coughlin, Minnesota (Coaches-2; Media-2)
Antoine Winfield Jr., Minnesota (Coaches-1; Media-1)

Tyler Johnson, Minnesota (Coaches-2; Media-1)
Blake Cashman, Minnesota (Coaches-3; Media-2)

Thomas Barber, Minnesota (Media-3)

Rodney Smith, Minnesota (Coaches-3; Media-3)
Drew Wolitarsky, Minnesota (Media-3)
Jonah Pirsig, Minnesota (Coaches-3; Media-3)
Steven Richardson, Minnesota (Coaches-3; Media-3)
Emmit Carpenter, Minnesota (Coaches-2; Media-1)

Ryan Santoso, Minnesota (Coaches-3)
Peter Mortell, Minnesota (Coaches-3; Media-3)

Peter Mortell, Minnesota (Coaches-1; Media-1)
Maxx Williams, Minnesota (Coaches-1; Media-1)
David Cobb, Minnesota (Coaches-2; Media-2)
Zac Epping, Minnesota (Coaches-2; Media-1)
Damien Wilson, Minnesota (Coaches-2; Media-1)
Briean Boddy-Calhoun, Minnesota (Coaches-2; Media-1)
Eric Murray, Minnesota (Coaches-2)

Ra'Shede Hageman, Minnesota (Coaches-1; Media-1)
Theiren Cockran, Minnesota (Media-2)
Brock Vereen, Minnesota (Coaches-2)

None

None

None

(Info from Wikipedia)

Last edited:

We've certainly seen better play maker guys.

I would like to see the general populating start moving up as far as average stars go.

It doesn't have to be hugely dramatic... but just guys to fill holes and such ... would like to see those rankings go up consistently.

Long term health wise, I feel like we need to see that move up.

Here's a weird thought...did we fill the 2020 class too soon? I think throughout this run in the national spotlight the Gophers have added 1-2 commits. I remember when bad Gopher teams would get several commits in a single weekend where it was butt cold and the Gophers lost by 30.

Fleck likes to fill the class early and that's great, but could the Gophers have ridden the buzz more to a better class this year?

We've had a couple of excellent years (2016, 2014), but the talent increase evidenced in this year’s selections bodes well for the future!

WTexGopher, could you edit your original post to add the 2019 squad so we can compare and contrast easier?

Here's a weird thought...did we fill the 2020 class too soon? I think throughout this run in the national spotlight the Gophers have added 1-2 commits. I remember when bad Gopher teams would get several commits in a single weekend where it was butt cold and the Gophers lost by 30.

Fleck likes to fill the class early and that's great, but could the Gophers have ridden the buzz more to a better class this year?
It is worth discussing. Don't want to miss out on some good athletics though. Lets face it other teams are getting commitments also so I don't believe we are in the position yet to wait these things out.

Anyone else notice that coaches and media list were identical this year? Usually there are quite a few differences. Not sure why.

I hope the trend is rising up but PJ has now added only Bateman and Tanner to this awards list.

Winning is the key to a large group being recognized. Good job by PJ and the staff.

I think talent is getting better overall, but having a QB that can throw like Morgan is the biggest improvement over past teams.
Did Morgan break any team qb records? He is an 'also ran' until he claims some of those records.

yup if im a betting man Fleck is wishing he had an extra scholly or too readily available right now.....but im also expecting a couple decommits yet.

but fleck does like to get guys to fill the class early. so i am expecting the 2021 class to have some more high star guys on the list by the time the season rolls around next year.

Did Morgan break any team qb records? He is an 'also ran' until he claims some of those records.
LOL -- When was the last time a Gopher QB was 2nd team All big Ten? As a sophomore??

Yes, he now holds the records for both yards and TD's in a season.

EDIT: Panthadad2 beat me to it. :)

Lots of talent on that 2014 team as well. At least 2 of those guys are still in the NFL, and I think it might be 3.

I think we still have a few open spots for 2020. Maybe only 1 or 2 after the recent commitment.

He also broke a Big Ten and tied an NCAA record. His 21/22 95.5% completion percentage is a Big Ten record.

He's also one of only two quarterbacks in NCAA history to have two games of 90% completion percentage or better in a single season. The other? Jameis Winston in 2013 (won Heisman and FSU won the national championship).

TM is no longer an also ran. we have had plenty of QBs who had multiple years to do something similar and they failed to do what TM has done.

Tanner Morgan, Minnesota (Coaches-2; Media-2)
Rodney Smith, Minnesota (Coaches-2; Media-2)
Rashod Bateman, Minnesota (Coaches-1; Media-1)
Tyler Johnson, Minnesota (Coaches-1; Media-1)
Blaise Andries, Minnesota (Coaches-3; Media-3)
Antoine Winfield Jr., Minnesota (Coaches-1; Media-1)

Tyler Johnson, Minnesota (Coaches-2; Media-1)
Blake Cashman, Minnesota (Coaches-3; Media-2)

Thomas Barber, Minnesota (Media-3)

Rodney Smith, Minnesota (Coaches-3; Media-3)
Drew Wolitarsky, Minnesota (Media-3)
Jonah Pirsig, Minnesota (Coaches-3; Media-3)
Steven Richardson, Minnesota (Coaches-3; Media-3)
Emmit Carpenter, Minnesota (Coaches-2; Media-1)

Ryan Santoso, Minnesota (Coaches-3)
Peter Mortell, Minnesota (Coaches-3; Media-3)

Peter Mortell, Minnesota (Coaches-1; Media-1)
Maxx Williams, Minnesota (Coaches-1; Media-1)
David Cobb, Minnesota (Coaches-2; Media-2)
Zac Epping, Minnesota (Coaches-2; Media-1)
Damien Wilson, Minnesota (Coaches-2; Media-1)
Briean Boddy-Calhoun, Minnesota (Coaches-2; Media-1)
Eric Murray, Minnesota (Coaches-2)

Ra'Shede Hageman, Minnesota (Coaches-1; Media-1)
Theiren Cockran, Minnesota (Media-2)
Brock Vereen, Minnesota (Coaches-2)

None

None

None

(Info from Wikipedia)
Two things I noticed about the enemies. None of the Wisconsin defensive linemen who shut our run game down got any first, second or third spots. Ohio State had 18 players first, second or third compared to our excellent 7.

Top Bottom