Take me back to the Air Wacker days Gopher fans

I remember Chris Darkins and Tutu Atwell being fantastic players.

Their defense couldn't stop anyone. Even their offense the reason they always put up so many points, etc is that we would get down big, then the other team would either start subbing in their 2nds or the guys out there on the opposing team would let up and away we went to moving the ball all over.
Most games felt like they were always more than arms reach away. Meaning, rarely was the final result in question.

Wacker was a good guy, but to be honest he and Gutey were the ones responsible for making the Gophers a doormat and laughingstock.

Wacker was entertaining, to say the least. He knew how to get the team up for a game. They came out like their hair was on fire. One problem was that when things started going south the panic set in and it was all downhill from there. Fleck seems to be the same motivator but still keeps the team from panicking when things go wrong.

He was a very honorable man. If I remember correctly, he self reported violations at TCU just as he was starting to turn the program around. He didn't win much with the Gophers, but he never embarrassed the U or the state.

I was at the U during the Wacker years. Brutal. Lots of offense but a lot of it was because we were so far behind every game.

I was at the U during the Wacker years. Brutal. Lots of offense but a lot of it was because we were so far behind every game.
I don't think that even mattered. It was throw throw throw.

Wacker was a great guy. In '95 I was a freshman I attended the optional New Student Weekend just prior to the start of the fall quarter. It was at some summer camp a couple hours outside the Cities. Wacker showed up and gave a pep talk to the group. His corpuscles were really jumpin'! He encouraged us to buy student season tickets, which, given the cost was a total no-brainer. It was $36 for a pair of tickets.

His corpuscles were really jumpin'! He encouraged us to buy student season tickets, which, given the cost was a total no-brainer. It was $36 for a pair of tickets.
Plus a free t-shirt!

Top Bottom