Take a Step Back -- RE: Ticket Sales, Atmosphere, Etc.

Nokomis

Nothing To Say
Reaction score
There's been a lot of threads lately about the perceived failure of TCF Bank Stadium. I'd like to point out that it's only been three seasons, not already. The electric atmosphere we all crave will take some time. It needs to happen organically to be genuine. Try out a couple ideas each year and improve on what works. Last year they had Block G, this year the beer garden. I thought having Atmosphere play the Homecoming Bonfire was brilliant. Take the best aspects of what worked and improve on it. We were in the Dome for nearly 30 years. It may take a decade or so to truly get the Game Day atmosphere we see at other schools.

I think it takes a combination of winning, fan enthusiasm, and administrative support. Someone in a previous thread mentioned this is the lowest five-year perioud in the history of Gopher football. We're truly starting at the ground level. I believe Kill, Kaler, Teague & Co. have the right mentality. Give it time and be patient. In the meantime, be as loud, raucous, drunk, and supportive as you can. That's how I see us creating a truly awesome Gopher GameDay.

I realize this post could have gone under Reusse's article, Nadine's article, defend you program, marketing suggestions, or any of the other threads about ticket sales and atmosphere. But that's sort of my point.

You are speaking to a "now" society..."I want it the way I want it and I want it now":

I want to make up some tradition, and I want it to start now.
I want to win, and I want to win now.
I want the students to buy every ticket, and I want it now.
I want fully functioning tailgate areas, and I want it now.
I want free parking, no lines at the concessions, and $10 game tickets, and I want them now.

OK, the last one was a dig, but you get the drift. As I have said dozens of times, it took 40 years to destroy this program and the game day atmosphere, it may take that long to bring it back. I don't think it will take more than 10 years, but it might.

Top Bottom