Tailgating

go4rube

By the Beard of Zeus!
Reaction score
Have any spots been taken in the fair grounds "Giant" lot? I know it says there is 2391 available spots, but how many did that lot start with?

I dont know the number off hand. I debated about picking a spot there but the whole commuting to the stadium just didnt jive with me. I got a spot in the ramp near the stadium and figured I would find someone around the stadium I knew or would make friends with either here or in my section.

I don't know how may spots it started with, but I know that last week it had over 2600 spots available. Somebody is taking them.

I think it had 2700 or 2800+ when the selection started.

Good to hear people are taking them. I was just wondering how many cars I would hit with my erratic punting abilities.

I could have sworn it was a little over 2900 to start with. I have yet to pick my parking but will be selecting this lot as well. I was trying to convince some friends of mine to do the west bank but they ultimately decided on StPaul so I guess I'll wind up there. The shuttle will be a drag but hopefully it'll be pretty smooth process to get to the game.

I have been holding out also. I was really hoping one of the lots next to it would open up. I'm not exactly enthused about 3k cars trying to get in and out. In addition I think they have their lines set up that if anyone pops out a grill that it will block the through way for cars to go through.

I'm hoping I'm wrong. St. Paul is easiest for my family to get in and out of, and in addition you get a direct drop off at the stadium via the commuter route.

monk...I'm with you. I prefer the location of South Como but I don't think they are going to open up that lot.

This is a state fair lot and the traffic in and out works okay for that event, so I don't think gopher games will be a big problem. I also don't think a grill will get in the way of traffic but we'll see. My group has 4 spots total in that lot, so we'll make it a good time regardless.

monk...I'm with you. I prefer the location of South Como but I don't think they are going to open up that lot.

This is one of the things that helped drive our group to look harder at the WB (upon which we found we liked the WB more).

Some positives I can see:
1) One lot means a shorter, simplier bus trip with only 2 stops (TCF and S108).
2) Good atmosphere...lots of people equals lots of energy/lots of new people to meet.

As for grills and the rows, I'm sure blocking the rows will be less of an issue once a row is full so long as you have your gear stowed by the time people are ready to drive away.

This is one of the things that helped drive our group to look harder at the WB (upon which we found we liked the WB more).

Some positives I can see:
1) One lot means a shorter, simplier bus trip with only 2 stops (TCF and S108).
2) Good atmosphere...lots of people equals lots of energy/lots of new people to meet.

As for grills and the rows, I'm sure blocking the rows will be less of an issue once a row is full so long as you have your gear stowed by the time people are ready to drive away.

Currently there are approx 600 people in the St. Paul lot so it'll have tons of people too. But I do wonder if the atmosphere will be lacking compared to the West Bank because:
1) It'll still be only 1/3 full
2) It will probably have more non-tailgaters. People who show up 45-60 minutes before kickoff and immediately hop the shuttle.

Time will tell. I'm hoping it'll be fun over there too.

Currently there are approx 600 people in the St. Paul lot so it'll have tons of people too. But I do wonder if the atmosphere will be lacking compared to the West Bank because:
2) It will probably have more non-tailgaters. People who show up 45-60 minutes before kickoff and immediately hop the shuttle.

We're there too. Less people works fine for me...more room for beanbags.

EDIT: And by less people, I mean not crammed to the gills at 2,932. Would still be rad to have 1,500 or so to taunt opposing fans before the game.

It will certainly be a different atmosphere. The WB lots are much smaller, but I think the folks who parked there are more hardcore on the tailgating.

I think with hundreds of folks there the STP lots will have their share of like minded tailgaters...you may just have to wander and make some new friends.

Both WB and SP lots should be fun but I hope the die-hards are in 86/88!

Lets not forget the hardy souls in 89! ;)

Hear hear!

As for the lot at the fairgrounds, they have the whole area north and west of the racetrack to fill up before they open South Como. That is a LOT of ground.

They have no problem getting cars in and out of there during the Fair, and that is done with less room to maneuver than for Gopher football. All the Fair cars come in/out the gate on Commonwealth behind the Large Animal Hospital, since the mini-gate the Connector uses is closed and the gate on Larpenteur fills up the Machinery Hill lots.

If they wanted to have tailgating in areas I'm much more familiar with drinking heavily in, open up the lots behind the Swine Barn. :D

weber Q
tent topper
table
folding chairs
cooler stocked w/ summit
bloody bar
bean bag toss
gopher band on ipod

We should get a list going like we have with the gopherhole seating in the stadium. The list should show what parking lots each gopherhole member is at.

Top Bottom