Tailgating Tips

Troy McClure

You may rememer me from ...
Reaction score
I’m hosting my first tailgate (New Hampshire) so I’m looking for some tailgating advice from my fellow GopherHolers. We'll have 10 people at the tailgate: 5 adults and 5 kids ranging in age from 7-13. I have canopy, table, chairs and a decent Coleman grill.

I recommended that we get started when the gate opens but I’m getting some push-back from the in-laws. For a true tailgate experience, how important is it to get there early?

Is tailgating still allowed at the River Flats? If not, we’ll be heading to St. Paul. How long is the bus ride to the stadium?

What are GHer's favorite tailgate meals for 11am games?

Thanks in advance for the help!

I tailgate on the West Bank and for 11:00 am starts we usually show up around 7:30. We leave for the game around 10:15 so we still get almost three hours in. We also do a little post-game tailgating for the early games.

The big favorite with my group for the early games is breakfast burritos. Brown up some chorizo the night before and bring containers with cheese, sauteed onions, sauteed peppers and any other fillings that sound good. put a bunch of eggs with a splash of milk in a pourable container and a bag of frozen hashbrowns in the cooler. At the lot, just brown up the hashbrowns, cook the scrambled eggs and reheat the other fillings. Let people put whatever they want on a large burrito sized tortilla, roll it up and enjoy. Make sure you bring a good assortment of hot sauces and salsas.

They are nice because they are customizable, very filling and can be eaten without lots of silverware, plates, etc. A nice spicy breakfast burrito washed down with a bloody mary and a beer chaser is just about the perfect combination on a cool fall morning.

I am not a fan of the 11AM game, but it does offer some nice choices for a early meal. Our group like the egg in a bag. You need a large pan of boiling water. Ziplock FREEZER bags and whatever you like in a omelet Pre cut whatever you want with your eggs. Put the eggs in the bag, add what you want. Ham, cheese, mushroom, onion and so on. Seal up the bag with your name written on it and boil 15-20 min. You have the perfect omelet. If you get more that 8-10 people you might need a second pot to boil water in. Our other favorite is a breakfast sandwich. Easy to do, but get some small cooking rings to form your egg. It is easier that way. The breakfast burrito mentioned above is also a good item.

Regarding that inlaw push back: You would be surprised how fast 3 (or more) hours can go by in a tailgate lot. Half the fun is not having to rush with the food... both cooking and eating. With kids along, just make sure you pack a couple footballs and they will have a blast. A cornhole game or any of thos outdoor games will also be a big help to keep the kids occupied.

I have always noticed that tailgates with kids have the most success if they DO get there right away. THe lots arent as busy and the kids have a lot more room to run around and toss the football around. And like others have said, the time flies by. The last thing you want is to have to rush the cooking and eating.

Honestly, just make sure the guests have/eat enough food to counter the booze. Nothing kills a football game more than having to carry your girlfriend/wife around because she didn't eat enough.

Honestly, just make sure the guests have/eat enough food to counter the booze. Nothing kills a football game more than having to carry your girlfriend/wife around because she didn't eat enough.

This is solid advice.

As long as we are on the tailgate subject... does anyone know of any good tailgate options for the upcoming season (on East Bank), or have a tailgate lot (near the stadium) pass that they would like to trade for a game? I have a parking pass for the Oak Street ramp and I usually make arrangements to trade parking passes and $$ for a game or two during the season to be able to tailgate.

My $.02,

< 90 minutes before kickoff = camp chairs, cooler of beer, Subway sandwiches
< 2 hours before kickoff = table with grill and easy food like dogs or brats
> 2 hours before kickoff = put up the canopy and bring more interesting food or mixed drinks

You need more time for all of the above if you are the host and want to have some enjoyment. If you are ok with looking after your guests the above timing works.

bloodys. and then more bloodys. maybe some food, but then more bloodys.

No TV for me, so I am hoping for a radio feed here in Moorhead.

Will tailgate this way:

Buy beer.
Drink a beer.
Put beer in cooler.
Drink a beer.
Cover beer with ice.
Drink a beer.
Grill some ribeyes while drinking a beer.
Eat ribeye while drinking a beer.
Move some firewood close to my firepit.
Drink a beer.
Start campfire during pregame.
Drink a beer.
Put more wood on campfire.
Drink a beer.
Drink a beer.
Drink a beer.
Put more wood on campfire.
Drink a beer.
(Hopefully get game on radio) and listen to game.
Drink beers.
After game, go thru Predict the Score versus UNLV thread to find winner(s).
Drink a beer.
Announce winner(s).
Drink a beer.
Go to bed.

Top Bottom