Tailgating tips

Schnauzer

Pretty Sure You are Wrong
Reaction score
I have a question but rather than waste a whole thread on me and my question, I figure I will use this thread to ask a more general question before I get specific.

What is something you recommend, or something you have seen that you want to add to your tailgate?

I’ll share mine: We have always had Gopher folding chairs but have found people tend to stand around more than look for a place to sit at a tailgate. So we added collapsing round bar height tables this year. Instant hit. Got them off of Amazon and they fold flat but are sturdy (300 lbs.) and are instant focal points to gather around.

Now for my question. I also want to add TV. I have been looking at battery power stations (not gas powered generators). Anyone have one that would power an LED flat screen for a decent amount of time that you recommend?

I have a question but rather than waste a whole thread on me and my question, I figure I will use this thread to ask a more general question before I get specific.

What is something you recommend, or something you have seen that you want to add to your tailgate?

I’ll share mine: We have always had Gopher folding chairs but have found people tend to stand around more than look for a place to sit at a tailgate. So we added collapsing round bar height tables this year. Instant hit. Got them off of Amazon and they fold flat but are sturdy (300 lbs.) and are instant focal points to gather around.

Now for my question. I also want to add TV. I have been looking at battery power stations (not gas powered generators). Anyone have one that would power an LED flat screen for a decent amount of time that you recommend?

I used a car battery and a power inverter. Plenty of juice to run a TV for tailgating. I switched to an ATV battery because they are a lot smaller and I still have plenty of juice.

Regarding tailgate TVs - what are people using these days for reception? An over the air (OTV) antenna can work, but the sports channel options are limited (no B1G network, ESPN, FS1, etc.). I was able to stream DIRECTV (via an apple TV box), but need to use the hotspot on my phone for wifi. On a busy tailgate day, that wifi signal eventually peters out as the parking lot fills. Other options?

This battery pack powers a Traeger Ranger and a small TV. Haven't used it for more than a couple hours yet. I'm too lazy to dig up the battery capacity specs and device wattage to figure out how much potential time it has.

Regarding tailgate TVs - what are people using these days for reception? An over the air (OTV) antenna can work, but the sports channel options are limited (no B1G network, ESPN, FS1, etc.). I was able to stream DIRECTV (via an apple TV box), but need to use the hotspot on my phone for wifi. On a busy tailgate day, that wifi signal eventually peters out as the parking lot fills. Other options?
A smart tv should pick up the U of M guest WiFi.

IMG_9196.jpeg
I picked up a Westinghouse power station and I think it will really do a nice job. It has been powering this TV for 5 hours straight and it still shows 2 of four indicator power bars available.

These things work awesome. Can run a tv all day and can even keep your chili hot in a crockpot.

Make sure your tv is on the newer side. I had a smaller 12 year old lcd and it pulled a lot more power than a newer tv of similar size.

These things work awesome. Can run a tv all day and can even keep your chili hot in a crockpot.

Make sure your tv is on the newer side. I had a smaller 12 year old lcd and it pulled a lot more power than a newer tv of similar size.

I love that it has TÜV Rheinland safety certification, whatever that is.

Top Bottom