Tailgating options - UNC fan here

Are they Hawkeye fans?
Not really. Dad moved from there when he was 8. Quickly became a Carolina fan and raised me as such. I think he liked Iowa only because he was from there but never went to any games or followed them that closely. If Cancer hadn’t taken him from us 2 yrs ago, he’d be at the game with me in a few weeks. He loved traveling to games.

Not really. Dad moved from there when he was 8. Quickly became a Carolina fan and raised me as such. I think he liked Iowa only because he was from there but never went to any games or followed them that closely. If Cancer hadn’t taken him from us 2 yrs ago, he’d be at the game with me in a few weeks. He loved traveling to games.
Sorry to hear about your loss. Wish your dad could have made it here too.

Sorry for your loss 🙏

My dad side of family is from Iowa so that one will be tough to join in on. Waterloo, to be exact.
Mrs. Billd is from Cedar Falls.

Grew up in the shadow of the UniDome just down the street and across the Cedar River from Waterloo.

BTW, she hates I-O-W-A also. Condolences too. He won't be offended for this one methinks.

I believe a large contingent of fans connected to GopherHole tailgate in the SW corner of the Ski-U-Mah lot.
If you want to eat on your own, then hit Malcolm Yards as someone earlier mentioned. There is a wide variety of fare there....and drink. A beer wall with many selections.
Otherwise...ya, just walk around, Gopher fans will feed you. Just don't take the lutefisk.

Here's a map of all the tailgate lots surrounding the stadium that people here are talking about:

Although it should be warm, do be careful knife wielding polar bears. Nebraska fans have been terrorized by them.

Sounds like Lot 37 is the place to be! If you see 4 UNC fans walking around lot 37 caring a cooler it’s us. Let’s party!
I have done Lot 37, and it is probably the best options for tailgating with a good mix of age brackets. I am a Carolina Alumnus, but a Minnesota expat and lifelong Gopher fan so will be flying in town for this one, just like I went back to CH for this game last year. The MN State Fair is going on while you are in town, and the Minnesota Twins host the Braves midweek and the Blue Jays for the weekend series. I advise 2nd or 3rd deck nearest the 3rd base for a great backdrop of Minneapolis.

I hope the interactions between the Gopher and Tar Heel fans are as friendly as they were last year. UNC lost a ton of its pass game, and I don't think a Minnesota QB can be worse than. Athan was against UNC, if Minnesota cannot come out the gate sluggish like they seem to do week 1, most advantages are going to the Gophers.

Can't wait to see that good color Blue in Dinkytown. I've been waiting for this series' games since it was announced. Hope to see you up there. Ski U Mah and Go Heels

Okay, I have to ask what is the Ski U Mah saying? Also don’t you guys say something about rowing the boat???

Okay, I have to ask what is the Ski U Mah saying? Also don’t you guys say something about rowing the boat???
Row the boat is a PJ Fleck thing but it's used on a lot of our stuff.
PJ explains it here:

Ski-U-Mah explained:
This famous Minnesota phrase, pronounced SKY-YOU-MAH, dates back to 1884 when two Minnesota rugby players, John W. Adams and Win Sargent, wanted to think of a fitting team yell. Years earlier, Adams heard a young Native American boy yell "Ski-oo!" after a victorious canoe race on Lake Pepin (in southeastern Minnesota). Adams and Sargent added "Mah" to represent the University of Minnesota. The phrase is now used to proclaim Victory for Minnesota. (Source: https://gophersports.com/sports/2021/7/12/history-traditions)

The link above also explains some other traditions (team name, colors, song).

Agree. Forget the cooler and enjoy some local brewed beer at Surly. It’s very close to Malcolm Yard and you can get food and drink at both places. It’s just a 12-15 minute walk to the stadium.
Yeah Malcolm Yards or Surly are can't miss places. Agree on using light rail as well.

Agree. Forget the cooler and enjoy some local brewed beer at Surly. It’s very close to Malcolm Yard and you can get food and drink at both places. It’s just a 12-15 minute walk to the stadium.
I can understand wanting to do tailgating and not sit at Surly/Malcom Yards. Tailgating probably more fun.

Super important game for both teams.

Gophers have a decent shot at beating a red chip team that slipped a notch this season. Would be nice.

Gophers had a down season last season so it looks bad for UNC to lose this one. Gophers will be better this season. The new Big Ten is super slaughter tough. Bet UNC wishes they were in ;)

If you have time to kill on Wednesday or in the morning Thursday, there is plenty to do in Minneapolis: https://www.minneapolis.org/things-to-do/
Minneapolis is a hell hole! 😏

Go to St Paul. Enjoy over 60 beers on draft at Burger Moe's on 7th or go to Tom Reid's. Enjoy the Science Museum, the Landmark Center, the Cathedral and the State Capital. Check out the AAA St Paul Saints at CHS Field. Walk to Harriet Island and Raspberry Island. Check out the Wabasha Caves and the old speak easy where gangsters had sanctuary.

St Paul is the place to be. Minneapolis is a hell hole. 😏😇

Super important game for both teams.

Gophers have a decent shot at beating a red chip team that slipped a notch this season. Would be nice.

Gophers had a down season last season so it looks bad for UNC to lose this one. Gophers will be better this season. The new Big Ten is super slaughter tough. Bet UNC wishes they were in ;)
I guess I don't see UNC football as much different than the Gophs. Very similar over the last 25 years. The difference in last year's game was one team had a high end, experienced high NFL draft 1st round QB, mixed with some curious game play calling by Fleck and Co. Even then, that was still a winnable game.

So which fanbase hates Duke the most? UNC, WF, or NC St.?

Everyone hates Carolina. They refer to themselves as ABC fans--anybody but Carolina. The rival is dook. Of course the pinnacle is the basketball rivalry but while Carolina holds a decisive edge, the football games are usually one score games. Last year dook took the lead with 42 seconds to go. Carolina tied on a FG as time expired and won in double OT. Wake isn't in the conversation. The best way to explain our perspective is we get our joy from defeating dook. We get relief from not losing to state. And the Carolina/dook rivalry extends beyond sports. Every hospital and health care facility is either UNC medicine or Duke Health. We only spell dook with "uk" when referencing health care or the Duke Chapel. Go Heels! #GDTBATH

I can understand wanting to do tailgating and not sit at Surly/Malcom Yards. Tailgating probably more fun.
I’d do both. I’d have lunch at Malcolm Yard and then hang outside at Surly, walk over to the tailgate lots around 4:00.
As someone else mentioned, if you’re in town Wednesday or Friday, the nearby state fair would be quite a thing to visit. It has the largest per day attendance of any fair in the country (about 100,000/day).

Top Bottom