Tailgating options - UNC fan here

Reaction score
Hey Golden Gophers,

UNC fan here. First let me say I can’t wait for the game in 3 weeks. 4 of us are making the trip to Minnesota. I met so many of you guys when you visited Chapel Hill last year. Everyone was so nice, hopefully our fans were as well back to you.

Couple of questions:

Where is best tailgating spots for a few Tar Heels to mingle with some of you guys? We won’t have a car just likely walking around with a cooler lol.

I see where individual tickets are still on sale, do you think this game will sell out? I’m looking forward to an awesome B10 atmosphere. Our stadiums are similar in size and yours look nice online. Can’t wait.

Best places to eat at or around stadium.

Best of luck this season, go heels!

If you are looking for a heavier meal beforehand, Annie's Parlor has recently reopened and has great malts, burgers, and fires. Otherwise there is a lot of fast food in the area like Canes, Chipotle, and Noodles and Co. Personally I am a fan of a vietnamese place called Bona that has really large portions and is decent enough food for the price. There is a BWW near the stadium with good atmosphere, and there are a number of other places nearby too. Should be a fun game, my first Gopher football game i've gone to in 4 years bc I had undergrad in rural MN

Thanks for stopping by. Last year UNC fans were amazing, one of the most hospitable fan bases our group has interacted with. Beautiful campus, great weather, awesome town, was a great weekend.

I hope your experience at The U is as good as ours was at UNC.

Go Gophers!!

Lot 37 is the best tailgating experience in my opinion. You can bring a cooler, but it is very likely you will be offered both food and drink if you just wander and strike up a few conversations. Hopefully it will be great weather...and that Thursday night always makes for a great tailgate!

Thanks for stopping by. Last year UNC fans were amazing, one of the most hospitable fan bases our group has interacted with. Beautiful campus, great weather, awesome town, was a great weekend.

I hope your experience at The U is as good as ours was at UNC.

Go Gophers!!
Great. Yea the stadium has changed some over the years, for the better. It can get hot on the sunny side aka the visitors side but on cool October Saturday with Carolina blue skies it’s about as good as it gets. You guys travel well. Lots of maroon and yellow around and in the stadium that day. Typical 3-5k when visiting fans fill their allotment.

Looking forward to the experience. We bought thru SeatGeek so we are LL section 113 Row 9. We will be decked out in blue, hopefully chatting it up with some fun friendly gopher fans around us.

Brining a cooler and no car? I doubt if you'll get the cooler in the stadium. Just saying. I'd dump the cooler, and head to lot 37 after you've had some food in your stomach should you happen to get plenty of beer before the food.

Brining a cooler and no car? I doubt if you'll get the cooler in the stadium. Just saying. I'd dump the cooler, and head to lot 37 after you've had some food in your stomach should you happen to get plenty of beer before the food.
We’re flying up to Minnesota, gonna Uber to AirBnB, Uber over to stadium with probably a cheap disposable cooler you get from gas station. Pack it with beer and ice and just walk around and mingle with you fine folks. Beer will be gone before we go into stadium, so we will just throw cooler away.

We’re flying up to Minnesota, gonna Uber to AirBnB, Uber over to stadium with probably a cheap disposable cooler you get from gas station. Pack it with beer and ice and just walk around and mingle with you fine folks. Beer will be gone before we go into stadium, so we will just throw cooler away.
Take the light rail. Way easier and cheaper.

Also, check out https://malcolmyards.market/ for eating options pre-game.

Very easy walk to the stadium, and a huge variety.

Hey Golden Gophers,

UNC fan here. First let me say I can’t wait for the game in 3 weeks. 4 of us are making the trip to Minnesota. I met so many of you guys when you visited Chapel Hill last year. Everyone was so nice, hopefully our fans were as well back to you.

Couple of questions:

Where is best tailgating spots for a few Tar Heels to mingle with some of you guys? We won’t have a car just likely walking around with a cooler lol.

I see where individual tickets are still on sale, do you think this game will sell out? I’m looking forward to an awesome B10 atmosphere. Our stadiums are similar in size and yours look nice online. Can’t wait.

Best of luck this season, go heels!
There are multiple lots right at the stadium for tailgating. My suggestion is to grab a couple quality six packs and a decent bottle of whiskey to contribute and most regular tailgaters in those lots will welcome you.

The Graduate is a cool, youthful place with nice decor. There's a restaurant. There's a free lounge area (it's a hotel). Attached is a Chick Fil A and Starbucks. Otherwise, Google for food types nearby.

For nicer dining places, North Loop is great. That's a couple miles away.

UNC fan, what is your take on your team? Most of the press says you've lost a lot.

Shuang Chen is always worth a visit if you want some Chinese food, located in Dinkytown, just a short walk to the tailgating and stadium. Annies Parlor was also mentioned, not sure about the milk shake and pounding beers combo.

Would agree with Surly for beer and decent food. If you like whiskey, right next door to Surly is O'Shaughnessy Distillery and they have great food, even if it's a little pricey. Their whiskey is really unique. Brought over a master distiller (Redbreast, Jameson, others) from Ireland and they blend it with American, Bourbon...etc. They also have a 10 year old Single Malt of their own. It's good, but Single is not my thing, and I still like it.

UNC fan, what is your take on your team? Most of the press says you've lost a lot.
Here we go:

First off, the fanbase has been lost by Mack Brown. To have Sam Howell, and Drake Maye back to back only to do Nothing with them has left a bad taste in our mouths. Mack after losing to our rival (in football) NC State last year for the 3rd straight time he said in a press conference “8 or 9 wins is pretty good around here”. While true, lol….you can’t say that. Season tickets are way down. Interest has gone from all time high when he came back Carolina to now a I’m from Missouri, you got to show me state of feelings.

As far as this years team:

No clue on QB play. Lots of experience with Max Johnson from SEC, but we don’t have SEC quality WR’s and we don’t have the SEC type Oline. Our Oline is huge (except our RG) but has almost ZERO experience as we lost 4 starters from last season. Only silver lining in that is we were NOT good at offensive line last year so maybe a shakeup is the best thing that could’ve happened.

Our RB (Hampton) may be best in country. Stack the box vs us and force us to beat you with pass. Similar to what you guys did to us last year in CH, only we had Drake Maye, this year we don’t.

Special teams is bad (punter wise) he had a few blocked last year and when he got off punts, they were 35yrds avg.

Defense:

Best secondary we will have had in a while. Tons of depth on Dline but aside from Rucker (DE) we don’t have much production. Thin at LB but a returning starter in Echols, but nothing but unknowns at backups. New DC, with a more aggressive style of play.

Honestly, I have very low expectations and I’m at a wait and see approach with this team as well. Who knows, maybe we will actually exceed expectations vs underachieving like most.

Our season lives and dies by our game with you guys. Lose it, and it’s over before it really begins. Our next 3 games (all at home) are vs NC Central, James Madison, and UNC-Charlotte. Lose to yall and it’ll be a ghost town for those games.

Prediction:

Minn 28
UNC 24

Here we go:

First off, the fanbase has been lost by Mack Brown. To have Sam Howell, and Drake Maye back to back only to do Nothing with them has left a bad taste in our mouths. Mack after losing to our rival (in football) NC State last year for the 3rd straight time he said in a press conference “8 or 9 wins is pretty good around here”. While true, lol….you can’t say that. Season tickets are way down. Interest has gone from all time high when he came back Carolina to now a I’m from Missouri, you got to show me state of feelings.

As far as this years team:

No clue on QB play. Lots of experience with Max Johnson from SEC, but we don’t have SEC quality WR’s and we don’t have the SEC type Oline. Our Oline is huge (except our RG) but has almost ZERO experience as we lost 4 starters from last season. Only silver lining in that is we were NOT good at offensive line last year so maybe a shakeup is the best thing that could’ve happened.

Our RB (Hampton) may be best in country. Stack the box vs us and force us to beat you with pass. Similar to what you guys did to us last year in CH, only we had Drake Maye, this year we don’t.

Special teams is bad (punter wise) he had a few blocked last year and when he got off punts, they were 35yrds avg.

Defense:

Best secondary we will have had in a while. Tons of depth on Dline but aside from Rucker (DE) we don’t have much production. Thin at LB but a returning starter in Echols, but nothing but unknowns at backups. New DC, with a more aggressive style of play.

Honestly, I have very low expectations and I’m at a wait and see approach with this team as well. Who knows, maybe we will actually exceed expectations vs underachieving like most.

Our season lives and dies by our game with you guys. Lose it, and it’s over before it really begins. Our next 3 games (all at home) are vs NC Central, James Madison, and UNC-Charlotte. Lose to yall and it’ll be a ghost town for those games.

Prediction:

Minn 28
UNC 24
Thanks for that breakdown! Might as well not even play the game, just give the win to the Gophers. You should still come hang out in Minneapolis though! 😄

Don’t get me wrong guys, I want us to win, but I’m a realist and realistically it’s doubtful at this point. We are just traveling to check a new place, meet some cool new people, and enjoy some football on a school night lol. If our boys win, it’s icing on the cake, if not, well then drink up I say, drink up!

Welcome UNC fans that are making the trek. Gopher fans who came down to your venue last season gave their trips high marks (except for the outcome of course:p).

I'll leave it to other to provide specifics on tailgating but I'll note two things...

First, the University of Minnesota is an urban campus, although Dinkytown where the stadium is located does have a little bit of a college town feel. Try to take advantage of what Minneapolis and St. Paul have to offer too while here. Also, there's this thing called the State Fair going on which is an experience in itself. Any other weekend a lot of fans park at the Fairgrounds, tailgate, and get bussed over, but not for the opening game.

Second, Huntington Bank Stadium (formerly TCF Bank Stadium) is now 15 years old and was built to bring football back to campus after almost 3 decades playing at the HHH Metrodome. Mainly funded by the Minnesota Legislature, the final funding push came from the Shakopee Mdewakanton Sioux Community, which is one of 11 federally-recognized Minnesota Indian Tribes. To honor this gift and this part of Minnesota's heritage, the western end of the stadium is an open plaza with 11 markers for each Tribal Nation. Home-grown Minnesotans as well as visitors are well-served visiting the markers and reading some history of each tribe.

Hoping for a good game with no injuries. BTW, we yell "Ski U Mah" (pronounced "sky you mawh") to encourage our team. The story goes this is a take-off what a rugby player heard an Indian boy yell while at canoe race on Lake Pepin, interpreted as a Dakota word for "victory." Whether true or not, we hope to be yelling it a lot during this game.

Safe travels and you can buy beer in our stadium too. Go Gophers!

Sounds like Lot 37 is the place to be! If you see 4 UNC fans walking around lot 37 caring a cooler it’s us. Let’s party!

Sounds like Lot 37 is the place to be! If you see 4 UNC fans walking around lot 37 caring a cooler it’s us. Let’s party!
So which fanbase hates Duke the most? UNC, WF, or NC St.?

First off, it’s dook (proper spelling). The Carolina/dook basketball game is the best rivalry in all of sports. Until you’ve seen it in person, you just don’t know. Schools are separated by only 9 miles, but are so different. We both hate one another. We both have GTH dook and GTH Carolina in our respective Alma Maters.

State is little brother to the rivalry. They hate UNC because they can’t be UNC. The football rivalry between us is fun, but isn’t anything close to the

Dook/UNC rivalry in basketball.

Wake even isn’t worth noting. Personally though, I hate state fans more than Dook fans. Lose to Dook, they at worst respect the rivalry, lost to state and all they do is talk shit everyday until the next time you play. What’s funny is Carolina will chant GTH dook when we play anyone (again, it’s a part of Alma Mater) state however has GTH Carolina in there fight song, yet we don’t reciprocate it. That’s how much we don’t care about them, yet they are dying just to be noticed. Half their message board is usually filled with talks about UNC and less about themselves. Inferiority complex.

In the end, Dook is puke, wake is fake, the team I hate is NC state, so don’t go to heaven in a red canoe because gods favorite color is CAROLINA BLUE!

Dad taught me to sing that when I was 4. I’ve passed it on to my kids as well!

First off, it’s dook (proper spelling). The Carolina/dook basketball game is the best rivalry in all of sports. Until you’ve seen it in person, you just don’t know. Schools are separated by only 9 miles, but are so different. We both hate one another. We both have GTH dook and GTH Carolina in our respective Alma Maters.

State is little brother to the rivalry. They hate UNC because they can’t be UNC. The football rivalry between us is fun, but isn’t anything close to the

Dook/UNC rivalry in basketball.

Wake even isn’t worth noting. Personally though, I hate state fans more than Dook fans. Lose to Dook, they at worst respect the rivalry, lost to state and all they do is talk shit everyday until the next time you play. What’s funny is Carolina will chant GTH dook when we play anyone (again, it’s a part of Alma Mater) state however has GTH Carolina in there fight song, yet we don’t reciprocate it. That’s how much we don’t care about them, yet they are dying just to be noticed. Half their message board is usually filled with talks about UNC and less about themselves. Inferiority complex.

In the end, Dook is puke, wake is fake, the team I hate is NC state, so don’t go to heaven in a red canoe because gods favorite color is CAROLINA BLUE!

Dad taught me to sing that when I was 4. I’ve passed it on to my kids as well!
Don't be surprised if you hear a "Who hates Iowa?" cheer at the UNC game. And then the response is "We hate Iowa!".

Top Bottom