Tailgating in St. Paul Lot S108

Gopher_guy_72

Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm a fairly new alumni and myself and some others are looking to get a spot for tailgating. In the past we've either done the student thing (houses/apartments/student lot) or tailgated in Lot 37 with a few alumni friends but this year we decided it was time to get our own spot.

Unfortunately, the only lots still available are the Minnesota lot and S108 in St. Paul. We don't really have the budget for Minnesota but I was wondering if anyone has any perspective on tailgating at the St. Paul Lots? Just wanted some perspective on the crowd over there, how many people are tailgating vs just parking, if the shuttle ride is a long wait, and any other feedback you guys might have.

Thanks in advance and Ski U Mah!

You can search previous parking threads and find all sorts of information. The St. Paul lot has some dedicated tailgaters but most people just park and catch the shuttle. The shuttle is very good and runs efficiently. There is seldom a wait going to the game and not bad after games even when there are sell outs.

Back to tailgating. One plus is that they direct the visiting fans to St. Paul and it is always fun to tailgate with them. More often than not, we load up on beers, catch the shuttle, and tailgate with friends in one of the lots next to TCF.

I've been using the St. Paul lot since day one and except for the very first game against Air Force, the shuttle has been very good.

My 2-cents.

I buy a spot in Lot 37 every week. For me, location makes a difference. If everyone of your friend chips in 5-10 bucks, you'll be fine. Even if they don't, it's worth it. I like to wait until 15 minutes before kickoff (millenial problems). One day I hope to be in the ski-u-mah lot, but for now, Lot 37 is oodles of fun.

You can't beat the scenery at East River Flats and the price is right. It's a bit of a walk, but if you want to tailgate on a big grassy field instead of a parking lot, it's the only way to go.

While most people who park at St. Paul don't tailgate, the lot is so huge that you there will be plenty of tailgaters around you (especially if you arrive early). It's a fun lot. The shuttle lines to the game are very quick. The only time there was a problem was when NDSU came to town and Joel Maturi granted them permission to use the lot as the HQ for their alumni association. That was awful. But otherwise it's been a breeze. I've been there since it opened and have no plans to stop.

You can't beat the scenery at East River Flats and the price is right. It's a bit of a walk, but if you want to tailgate on a big grassy field instead of a parking lot, it's the only way to go.

+1

I know I'm in the minority here- but if I can't see the stadium while I'm tailgating- it doesn't feel like tailgating to me. You can pick up a pass week to week for Ski-U-Mah, Lot 37 or Minnesota Lot for probably about the same price as a Season pass overall. If you do get a Season Pass through the U, make sure to have your mandatory 'Donation' credit towards it.

Hm okay thanks for all the feedback guys. I'm thinking we'll just pass on the season pass and just do week by week single game parking at different lots.

One additional question: does east river flats usually fill up pretty early? It'd be a bummer to make plans to tailgate there but not get a spot when we arrive. We usually would be there at the starting point to tailgate, but for the TCU game I have to work that day so I won't be able to make it until 3-4 hours before the game.

Hm okay thanks for all the feedback guys. I'm thinking we'll just pass on the season pass and just do week by week single game parking at different lots.

One additional question: does east river flats usually fill up pretty early? It'd be a bummer to make plans to tailgate there but not get a spot when we arrive. We usually would be there at the starting point to tailgate, but for the TCU game I have to work that day so I won't be able to make it until 3-4 hours before the game.

No worries on the TCU game - you will be the only one there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been down there for nearly every game for the past 5 years. Iowa game 2013 was the most full the lot has ever been, to my recollection and they probably still had room for an additional 100 vehicles. You'll be fine.

Top Bottom