Tailgaiting at the state fair lot

Parked/tailgated there several times. The buses keep coming and you don't have to wait for one very long - both before and after the game. Once you're in your car it's a lot easier to get back on the road too.

Not as many tricked out, obsolete civil service vehicles or maroon and gold tents as near the stadium but still a good number of superfans. We head to the stadium relatively early and walk around the cool people lots and pretend we're one of them. Some of them even give us food/shots because that's how nice Minnesota people are.

Most cherished memory there: My first time parking there was the Iowa game 2010. Took the bus over early and it was just three of us and about half a dozen Hawkeye fans toward the back...pretty empty. One of them was an already-wasted super-bro (black/gold bibs, hat on backwards, strong-smelling cologne...you get the idea). He didn't shut up the whole ride over, talking about how bad the score would be, how could we even be Gopher fans, and so on. His bibbed cronies were yucking it up the whole time too, showing off all their secret hiding spots for their flasks.
As we know, the game turned into a memorable one and we stuck around to watch Floyd get passed around. We caught one of the later buses back and who of all people should happen to be in line a few spots ahead of me?...Super-bro! Somehow he lost his cronies (or maybe they abandoned him?) so he was all alone - drunk and ready to pass out. You could have blindfolded him with fishing line.
This time he was the only Iowan on the bus. Once we got rolling, the "Who hates Iowa?" chant starts up. He was not amused, and I enjoyed watching him suffer. I've never been a big fan of that chant, but on that day it was special.
In my head I like to think his friends made him walk back to Iowa that night.

Parked/tailgated there several times. The buses keep coming and you don't have to wait for one very long - both before and after the game. Once you're in your car it's a lot easier to get back on the road too.

Not as many tricked out, obsolete civil service vehicles or maroon and gold tents as near the stadium but still a good number of superfans. We head to the stadium relatively early and walk around the cool people lots and pretend we're one of them. Some of them even give us food/shots because that's how nice Minnesota people are.

Most cherished memory there: My first time parking there was the Iowa game 2010. Took the bus over early and it was just three of us and about half a dozen Hawkeye fans toward the back...pretty empty. One of them was an already-wasted super-bro (black/gold bibs, hat on backwards, strong-smelling cologne...you get the idea). He didn't shut up the whole ride over, talking about how bad the score would be, how could we even be Gopher fans, and so on. His bibbed cronies were yucking it up the whole time too, showing off all their secret hiding spots for their flasks.
As we know, the game turned into a memorable one and we stuck around to watch Floyd get passed around. We caught one of the later buses back and who of all people should happen to be in line a few spots ahead of me?...Super-bro! Somehow he lost his cronies (or maybe they abandoned him?) so he was all alone - drunk and ready to pass out. You could have blindfolded him with fishing line.
This time he was the only Iowan on the bus. Once we got rolling, the "Who hates Iowa?" chant starts up. He was not amused, and I enjoyed watching him suffer. I've never been a big fan of that chant, but on that day it was special.
In my head I like to think his friends made him walk back to Iowa that night.

Great game, great memory. Always will be a big fan of Jeff Horton for how that season ended.

The shuttle back to the fairgrounds after the game was a hot mess in season 1 of the stadium but they've got the system down to a science now. Line moves pretty well and it's never more than a few minutes wait.

I like the fairgrounds for parking/tailgating. The only downside is that the lines aren't painted very well. It's painted for busses during the state fair so some people will park at an angle, some people will start their own rows at random, etc.,

The shuttle back to the fairgrounds after the game was a hot mess in season 1 of the stadium but they've got the system down to a science now. Line moves pretty well and it's never more than a few minutes wait.

I like the fairgrounds for parking/tailgating. The only downside is that the lines aren't painted very well. It's painted for busses during the state fair so some people will park at an angle, some people will start their own rows at random, etc.,
Yup..this is so true.

Top Bottom