Tailgaiting at the state fair lot

gophertheroses

Reaction score
Tell me what the experience is like for those that park and tailgate before/after the games at the state fair lot. I love the atmosphere being near the stadium in lots 37 and 33 but I don't have a pass for every week and looking at other options

Complete chaos.

It's a little known fact that before gopher games the State Fair lots are international waters at that time....

The monkey knife fights are the best.

/s

Complete chaos.

It's a little known fact that before gopher games the State Fair lots are international waters at that time....

The monkey knife fights are the best.

/s
See that ship over there? They're rebroadcasting major league baseball with implied oral consent, not express written consent, or so the legend goes.

If you don't mind a bus ride, it's a decent spot to tailgate. Less traffic, plenty of spots to park. No permit or passes needed.

If you don't mind a bus ride, it's a decent spot to tailgate. Less traffic, plenty of spots to park. No permit or passes needed.
Well you do have to pay $10 to get in, right? Guessing that's not what you meant. But it's not free.

Big benefit we didn't realize. Lightpoles all have live outlets so no need to hall a generator down there.
that is killer -- won't change anything for me as I don't want to ride the bus -- but solid info!

that is killer -- won't change anything for me as I don't want to ride the bus -- but solid info!
You talk like any Joe Schmoe off the street can buy a tailgating pass to the lots by the stadium without being a season ticket holder and without it being a season-long pass. Talking direct from the U, not third-party apps.

You talk like any Joe Schmoe off the street can buy a tailgating pass to the lots by the stadium without being a season ticket holder and without it being a season-long pass. Talking direct from the U, not third-party apps.
I don't follow how that information is sussed out from my posting about the existence of outlets at the state fair lots.

I don't follow how that information is sussed out from my posting about the existence of outlets at the state fair lots.
"won't change anything for me as I don't want to ride the bus"

Meaning you have access to tailgating by the stadium, is how I took that.

"won't change anything for me as I don't want to ride the bus"

Meaning you have access to tailgating by the stadium, is how I took that.
That's right I do have access -- I should have been more clear and said I don't know how me indirectly mentioning my own access implies that any Schmoe Joe can buy the access that I have (on a season long basis).

That's right I do have access -- I should have been more clear and said I don't know how me indirectly mentioning my own access implies that any Schmoe Joe can buy the access that I have (on a season long basis).
Because the thing -- really the only thing -- with the State Fair tailgating is you can just drive up on game day, just for that game, and tailgate there.

Other than the diminished East River Flats, that's the only place I know of like that.

Because the thing -- really the only thing -- with the State Fair tailgating is you can just drive up on game day, just for that game, and tailgate there.

Other than the diminished East River Flats, that's the only place I know of like that.
I don't know how we got down this rabbit hole together, but yes -- I celebrate the state fair lot and the appropriately described east river flats -- as I only have a tailgating pass because my in-laws meet the donation threshold with their season tickets and thus I can just pay them for the direct cost of the pass.

Well you do have to pay $10 to get in, right? Guessing that's not what you meant. But it's not free.
Yes, there is an event parking $10 charge and can arrive on gameday without reservation/permit.

The Flats is now limited for parking and I think a tailgating permit is required (not positive on that but thought I read that on the U's site) It is not conducive to a small group impromptu tailgate. Also, the bus ride is better than the hike from the Flats IMO.

Yes, there is an event parking $10 charge and can arrive on gameday without reservation/permit.

The Flats is now limited for parking and I think a tailgating permit is required (not positive on that but thought I read that on the U's site) It is not conducive to a small group impromptu tailgate. Also, the bus ride is better than the hike from the Flats IMO.
30$ day of permit to tailgate there -- as a younger man I liked the walk through campus that the flats afforded me, and in the current clime I don't care to sit on a bus with my mask, but I concede the point that many would prefer riding the bus especially with the luxury of being dropped right across from the stadium.

Excuse my ignorance and don't get mad at me for having access to campus lots--where the fuck is this magical state fair lot?

Excuse my ignorance and don't get mad at me for having access to campus lots--where the fuck is this magical state fair lot?
It is Lot S 108 right between the grandstand and the farm campus.

Is it a complete disaster leaving games to get there? Busses make me nervous.
moves pretty well. Long lines form for the buses right after the game, but they move pretty well. Doesn't hurt to run over to Buffalo Wild wings for a beer to let some of it clear out. Going to the game I've never waited more than 5 minutes to get on a bus.

Is it a complete disaster leaving games to get there? Busses make me nervous.

Why would the bus make you nervous?

Going to the game always seem to be able to jump on the next bus, gets to the stadium in approximately 7 minutes. A close game riding back can cause a line, but it always moves quickly. I think the longest I have had to wait is 15-20 minutes. Really only a drag when it's late at night or crappy weather, and other options are not really any better in terms of a wait.

Depends. On land? Not nervous. Alligators are slow. In water? Very nervous. In the air? Not sure, haven't thought about it.
I'm the most nervous when I hook my ball down in the rough at tournaments in Florida.

Why would the bus make you nervous?

Going to the game always seem to be able to jump on the next bus, gets to the stadium in approximately 7 minutes. A close game riding back can cause a line, but it always moves quickly. I think the longest I have had to wait is 15-20 minutes. Really only a drag when it's late at night or crappy weather, and other options are not really any better in terms of a wait.
I guess I was concerned about getting back to my vehicle and how efficient or inefficient the bus may be

I guess I was concerned about getting back to my vehicle and how efficient or inefficient the bus may be
It's a pretty organized process, zero concern about that. Even can be quite festive after victories, waiting in-line, the ride itself and for a post-game tailgate which I think is allowed for at least 1 hour after the game.

Our group tailgated there before the Miami game. Had a blast.

It's a pretty organized process, zero concern about that. Even can be quite festive after victories, waiting in-line, the ride itself and for a post-game tailgate which I think is allowed for at least 1 hour after the game.

Our group tailgated there before the Miami game. Had a blast.
Thanks for the info. My concerns are no longer there. I just don't like the U being in control of my transportation. They routinely botch simple things

Top Bottom