Ta’lon Cooper will test the NBA Draft waters, while maintaining his eligibility, and will also put his name into transfer portal

Well if it does then Ben is probably gone after next year and all the people that want him fired now can say I told you so.
Do you really think all of these people who rag on Ben would rather win an argument on the internet than have the Gophers win? Most of us have been fans of the Gophers for decades. You think we'd trade all of that in to beat complete failures like MNJay and Menno in an argument?

Why are people upset about this? They won 2 Big Ten games. I’m thinking a bit of roster overhaul is a good thing.

At this point, I'm skeptical that CBJ can beat out Williston State College in a recruiting battle, no?

Testing the draft. I've come to the conclusion that Cooper is punking us
As in returning? or no?

I can’t say that I blame any players who have played four years for wanting to get out of dodge. The world has changed but the human condition hasn’t. After four years I was ready to be done. I can’t believe it’s that much different today, especially for guys who are real students.

If CBJ were able to get a better player than Cooper, why didn’t he sign such a player last year? He has even less to sell this year.

I think most people here believed that Cooper would be better than he was and the coach probably did too.

Losing Cooper is a bigger deal than Battle, but Cooper is very replaceable. Heck, an upgrade should be very doable.

For the first half of the season, I was very happy that we had him but my opinion deteriorated as the season went on. I remember thinking to myself late in the season that it would be nice to get a cleaner, crisper point guard without so much wasted motion.

As in returning? or no?

I can’t say that I blame any players who have played four years for wanting to get out of dodge. The world has changed but the human condition hasn’t. After four years I was ready to be done. I can’t believe it’s that much different today, especially for guys who are real students.
I had the opposite experience. College is more fun than real life.

His efficiency numbers definitely were worse. PER below last season, WINSHARES/40 well below career average, True Shooting and Field Goal percentages worst of his career.

Win shares? He went from a 23 win team to a 9 win team, of course that was going to drop. It's not surprising that some of his efficiency numbers went down. He went from playing on one of the best teams in the Ohio Valley to the worst team in the Big Ten.

He also averaged more PPG, more ASTs per game, and improved his 3 point percentage from last season. Cooper's numbers were as expected or even slightly better than expected considering he moved up conferences.

I'm not sure how you could say people and the coaches thought he would be better, unless they had never watched him play before this season.

Win shares? He went from a 23 win team to a 9 win team, of course that was going to drop. It's not surprising that some of his efficiency numbers went down. He went from playing on one of the best teams in the Ohio Valley to the worst team in the Big Ten.

Team wins are not used in the calculation of basketball win shares.

Cooper seems to have been recruited here for his ability to generate assists. He certainly did that but the rest of his game probably was a bit worse than people expected.

He also averaged more PPG, more ASTs per game, and improved his 3 point percentage from last season. Cooper's numbers were as expected or even slightly better than expected considering he moved up conferences.

I'm not sure how you could say people and the coaches thought he would be better, unless they had never watched him play before this season.
His numbers weren’t better same downward trend just shot less shots

After the last couple years of being bitched at for an opinion that didn't conform to theirs... I'm really looking forward to the I told you fucking so
Do you really think all of these people who rag on Ben would rather win an argument on the internet than have the Gophers win? Most of us have been fans of the Gophers for decades. You think we'd trade all of that in to beat complete failures like MNJay and Menno in an argument?

I think most people here believed that Cooper would be better than he was and the coach probably did too.
He was exactly who he/me/everyone said he was. Season averages: fg%= 41.2 v 39.5 this season. FT%=66.1 v 61.4 22/23. 3PT%=37% v 37.8 22/23. A= 4.8/gm v 6.3 22/23. pts per game 8.6 v 9.8/gm 22/23. So show me where he was not the guy we expected? Maybe defensively. He needed help on the court. Samuels was definitely not the guy. With a quality 2 and 3 on the court the Gophers might have been 8th-10th in the conference instead of 14th.

He was exactly who he/me/everyone said he was. Season averages: fg%= 41.2 v 39.5 this season. FT%=66.1 v 61.4 22/23. 3PT%=37% v 37.8 22/23. A= 4.8/gm v 6.3 22/23. pts per game 8.6 v 9.8/gm 22/23. So show me where he was not the guy we expected? Maybe defensively. He needed help on the court. Samuels was definitely not the guy. With a quality 2 and 3 on the court the Gophers might have been 8th-10th in the conference instead of 14th.
This is exactly right. The problem wasn't Cooper, the problem was that Cooper didn't fit with what we were able to put next to him. You can't be slow afoot at the 1,2 and 3 spots all on the same team. Cooper would have been fine with a speed 2 and 3 out there who could also shoot it and defend. But with who we had we needed a kid with quickness at the point. Things did start to look a little better when Henley, who is quick, progressed later in the year.

This is why we should have some hope for the coming year. A couple good guards could change things dramatically. Will we get a good point guard? Will Carrington and Christie be good? Can we find a shooter in the portal?

This is exactly right. The problem wasn't Cooper, the problem was that Cooper didn't fit with what we were able to put next to him. You can't be slow afoot at the 1,2 and 3 spots all on the same team. Cooper would have been fine with a speed 2 and 3 out there who could also shoot it and defend. But with who we had we needed a kid with quickness at the point. Things did start to look a little better when Henley, who is quick, progressed later in the year.

This is why we should have some hope for the coming year. A couple good guards could change things dramatically. Will we get a good point guard? Will Carrington and Christie be good? Can we find a shooter in the portal?
Cooper slowed the offense down never pushed the ball turned his back to the basket at half court like he was magic and on top of that the plays they ran didn’t have 2nd or third options coaching was the main issue.

Cooper slowed the offense down never pushed the ball turned his back to the basket at half court like he was magic and on top of that the plays they ran didn’t have 2nd or third options coaching was the main issue.
Willis ran things much better... under the same coach. The biggest problem with this coach is he put together the roster poorly. He's going to get one more shot at getting a whole roster put together. I hope he gets it done. Odds are long, but it is doable.

Willis ran things much better... under the same coach. The biggest problem with this coach is he put together the roster poorly. He's going to get one more shot at getting a whole roster put together. I hope he gets it done. Odds are long, but it is doable.
If he keeps reaching out to forwards it won’t be doable.

Top Bottom