TA’LON COOPER A GOPHER!

Stats page...info. Ta'lon should be a great addition. Need a guard who can shoot now!!
Happy to get this guy! Experienced point guard is great to have!

Last edited:

per Marcus:

Ben Johnson landed a potential immediate impact point guard with Morehead State transfer Ta'Lon Cooper, who committed to the Gophers on Wednesday.

Cooper was scheduled to visit Minnesota's campus on Friday and Saturday, but he couldn't wait to join the Gophers' incoming class, which includes North Carolina transfer Dawson Garcia.

"Out of all the head coaches I talked to me and [Johnson] text on a daily basis and all the time," Cooper told Zach Schumaker after announcing his decision on Instagram Live. "Just about leading the team to victory and bringing winning to that program."

Go Gophers!!

Interesting read. This guy seems pretty locked in. I say locked in - in that he he's pretty detailed. Also has Treyton starting in one possible scenario for what that's worth.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nc...sedgntp&cvid=b44d9c880c8a4eb0a94b2be641bb95e2
  • PG: Ta'lon Cooper, 6'4''
  • SG: Jamison Battle, 6'7''
  • SF: Dawson Garcia, 6'11
  • PF: Parker Fox, 6'8''
  • C: Treyton Thompson, 7'0''
Would be quite a different look than last season. Should be able to finally get offensive rebounds and block shots. Don’t know if this scenario could stay in front of anyone defensively. Interesting scenario anyway. Thanks for sharing the link.

Would be quite a different look than last season. Should be able to finally get offensive rebounds and block shots. Don’t know if this scenario could stay in front of anyone defensively. Interesting scenario anyway. Thanks for sharing the link.
Yeah, I don't know if MSN tracks my searches (probably), but there is a lot more Gopher content coming from random places.

The beauty of what is happening, is whatever lineup chosen can change at any time of the game to go smaller or whatever is needed based on game time action. Also change opponent to opponent. Lots of flexibility now including the freshmen. Very intrigued by the next 2 schollies.

Yeah, I don't know if MSN tracks my searches (probably), but there is a lot more Gopher content coming from random places.

The beauty of what is happening, is whatever lineup chosen can change at any time of the game to go smaller or whatever is needed based on game time action. Also change opponent to opponent. Lots of flexibility now including the freshmen. Very intrigued by the next 2 schollies.
Basically we are going from a lineup that had zero flexibility and massive holes to one that has a ton of flexibility and should have solid depth across the board.

Obviously will have to see how all the pieces fit together but this is shaping up to be a solid looking group on paper.

Basically we are going from a lineup that had zero flexibility and massive holes to one that has a ton of flexibility and should have solid depth across the board.

Obviously will have to see how all the pieces fit together but this is shaping up to be a solid looking group on paper.
Could not agree more. Call me giddy.

I know this will sound disrespectful to last year squad but if we were keeping with low major scraps last season, this year we should easily finish in the 4-8 range in the big ten. We had at least 4-7 losses in conference because we lacked quality depth. That shouldn’t be an issue. Truthfully we just need 1 more experienced player like Strong and we should be fine. If we get 2 players then that will mean less playing time for Carrington or Henley but I really like the team we have for this upcoming season

Last edited:

For me, the entire question is how many guys get minutes? It appears, if healthy, we'll have at least 10 guys who should play in the first half of every game. Will they?
It is just too much to expect if you think some guy who hasn't seen the floor in 5 or 10 games is now going to step in and shine because someone is sick or injured. Plus, people have bad days, matchups are favorable, fouls can be a factor....adjust the minutes on an individual game basis but let guys know they are going to get an opportunity each night. Lots of reasons to play 9,10 people regularly.
Team is way more cohesive, competitive, collaborative, connected, consistent when more guys play.
The whole team is more relaxed and happy.

I know this will sound disrespectful for to last year squad but if we were keeping with low major scraps last season, this year we should easily finish in the 4-8 range in the big ten. We had at least 4-7 losses in conference because we lacked quality depth. That shouldn’t be an issue. Truthfully we just need 1 more experienced player like Strong and we should be fine. If we get 2 players then that will mean less playing time for Carrington or Henley but I really like the team we have for this upcoming season
This team is one solid guard away from being a middle of the pack or better Big Ten team. And that guard could come from an additional transfer or it could be one of the freshman.

Last year was what it was, anyone paying attention could see the team was going to struggle after the injuries. Long way to go till the start of next season but we are in a completely different place this time around and look like we could be on the verge of something special.

For me, the entire question is how many guys get minutes? It appears, if healthy, we'll have at least 10 guys who should play in the first half of every game. Will they?
It is just too much to expect if you think some guy who hasn't seen the floor in 5 or 10 games is now going to step in and shine because someone is sick or injured. Plus, people have bad days, matchups are favorable, fouls can be a factor....adjust the minutes on an individual game basis but let guys know they are going to get an opportunity each night. Lots of reasons to play 9,10 people regularly.
Team is way more cohesive, competitive, collaborative, connected, consistent when more guys play.
The whole team is more relaxed and happy.
Jay Wright has been pretty successful with a rotation of 6-7 guys most years. UNC shortened their bench to 7 this year. Duke played 7. Etc… Most successful programs are playing 7-8 guys, not 9-10.

If Carrington can tighten his handle, he would be a nice apprentice for Cooper. He is a good facilitator, with an excellent shot and size. However, I would not be opposed to seeing a 1 year PG/SG as a quality backup to hold us over until Carrington develops or Taison Chatman comes in.

There is so much more flexibility and depth with this group than any of the Pitino teams. I just do not ever want to see them field a team of walk ons again to finish out the season.

Nice to see a legit team start to take shape.

Doogie chimes in:

Go Gophers!!
I’m not sure what the “has two years and may only use one” comment is about, but this may help us entice Chatman a little more about taking the lead guard role his first year, which is something I think he could handle pretty good. But with that said, seems like we would want 2 years of Cooper.

No shrimpers there!! 👍

I’m not sure what the “has two years and may only use one” comment is about, but this may help us entice Chatman a little more about taking the lead guard role his first year, which is something I think he could handle pretty good. But with that said, seems like we would want 2 years of Cooper.
Probably just Doogie being Doogie. Cooper is like every other player that may or may not use the extra Covid year.

Probably just Doogie being Doogie. Cooper is like every other player that may or may not use the extra Covid year.
It means he's so good, he's a 1 and done, then pro. Well, at least at Minnesota one and done.

Joking of course, but that is the first thought that popped into my head about what he meant.

Top Bottom