T Olson & Westerhaus 2nd team All Americans!

And for this they get 3 stars?

I guess. One dude on that list has two stars. I suppose one could make the argument that players can be dominant at the high school level but projected to be only average in college. Makes little sense to me, though.

Apparently. Just another reason that recruit rankings do not mean everything!

Well, not really. It's the exact same people that are ranking them 2nd team that are giving them their star rankings.

The First Team is the blue chippers, the sure thing kind of guys.

The Second Team for rivals is like guys who they think have the best chance of out producing their rankings, like guys that they think could be getting undervalued.

Well, not really. It's the exact same people that are ranking them 2nd team that are giving them their star rankings.

The Second Team for rivals is like guys who they think have the best chance of out producing their rankings, like guys that they think could be getting undervalued.

I'd be more inclined to believe that if there weren't a gang of 4- and 5-star players on the 2nd team list as well. By definition, a 5-star player is a blue-chip recruit.

It is what it is, I guess. Just seems like there's some inconsistency between the star rankings and the methodology they use to select their AA teams.

I believe that there was at least one two star on the first team.

Just a couple of words of caution on the star ratings, they aren't final yet, and they are projections at college positions. I think that before everything is finalised, a few of our present commits will be upgraded, Tommy the Tank is the most likely four star, and Rohr is likely to get upgraded to a three.

Considering Tom Lemming has Tommy as a top 100 player it is highly likely he is moved up to four star status. Was a pleasure watching him all season.

Considering Tom Lemming has Tommy as a top 100 player it is highly likely he is moved up to four star status. Was a pleasure watching him all season.

JackiO - - I take it you are a Mahtomedi guy? How would you compare Tommy and Ed Olson? What do you think of the LB who will be a SR there next season? Any thoughts on Mike Henry?

The teams were based on high school impact. The fact that PW won Mr. Minnesota and racked up stats on both sides of the ball is what got him on that team. Olson also played on both sides too obviously.

Yeah, I would think this has more to do with what they did in high school as opposed to what they may do in college.

Random thoughts

Very cool that both are going to be Gophers! Awesome that they were named to the team.
Hopefully by signing day they are both upgraded along with some of our other guys.

Hey, this might be the thing I miss most about Brewster...I had probably more hope than confidence he'd keep the top rated players we had verbals from but also had the feeling that somehow he'd snatch some highly rated surprise on signing day. Kinda don't see Kill doing that? Brewster actually did that, didn't he? Or am I hallucinating about it? It didn't always prove out to help us to this point because I believe Carter was one of those last minute kidnappings? But it was fun.

Very cool that both are going to be Gophers! Awesome that they were named to the team.
Hopefully by signing day they are both upgraded along with some of our other guys.

Hey, this might be the thing I miss most about Brewster...I had probably more hope than confidence he'd keep the top rated players we had verbals from but also had the feeling that somehow he'd snatch some highly rated surprise on signing day. Kinda don't see Kill doing that? Brewster actually did that, didn't he? Or am I hallucinating about it? It didn't always prove out to help us to this point because I believe Carter was one of those last minute kidnappings? But it was fun.

You're not hallucinating. We snatched up Carter from West Virginia, and Keanon Cooper from Texas Tech (?). I can't recall specifically but it was near if not on signing day that they switched. It did make NSD more fun as a Gophers fan.

You might be right about Kill not having too many rabbits up his sleeve, but he still has a chance to get a couple of big name guys like Womble or Shankey. Wouldn't be quite the same but it would be a good recruit committing late in the process.

You're not hallucinating. We snatched up Carter from West Virginia, and Keanon Cooper from Texas Tech (?). I can't recall specifically but it was near if not on signing day that they switched. It did make NSD more fun as a Gophers fan.

You might be right about Kill not having too many rabbits up his sleeve, but he still has a chance to get a couple of big name guys like Womble or Shankey. Wouldn't be quite the same but it would be a good recruit committing late in the process.

I don't think it will happen, but getting Shankey would be right up there with Cooper and Carter last minute.

I don't think it will happen, but getting Shankey would be right up there with Cooper and Carter last minute.

Just caught your post but I have no time to respond as I'm in a hurry. Check back tomorrow. :cool:

Quick thoughts on Olson are that he isn't "great" in any category while Tommy has some greatness in him, specifically as a run blocker. He also has the heart of a captain like his dad was in the early 80's.

Top Bottom