Sutherlin. . . does he have another year?

Bob_Loblaw

Reaction score
I was going to name this thread "Sutherlin Eligibility?" but I didn't want to unintentionally give people a heart attack.

Does anyone know how many years he has left? I know he sat out last year due to injury and he played at least 1 year at UNH and at least 1 year at JuCo. It's not uncommon for players to RS their first year of JuCo to save eligibility and what I'm finding is kind of mixed.

When he signed, the Daily Gopher said "He will come to the Gophers with 1 official season of eligibility (and the bonus Covid year if he chose to do so)." They list him as a Senior but that doesn't mean anything anymore.

Well, after reading you saying "I wish he had another year left" in the other thread earlier today, I went back to try and find more because I had also read the Daily. The most definitive I came up with, I feel, was from Sean's twitter account. He said one year. (Of course I hope I am incorrect.)

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">**Correction<br><br>1 Year of Eligibility Remaining <a href="https://t.co/LCO0MFHOkA">https://t.co/LCO0MFHOkA</a></p>&mdash; Transfer Tapes (@TransferTapes) <a href="">February 13, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Last edited:

He played two years at Sheridan CC. One year at New Hampshire. Now this year at Minnesota will be his fourth and final season, I believe, although not sure.

Last year would have been his final year of eligibility, but it was a free year, but he also didn't play due to injury, so not sure how that works.

I'm thinking he is done after this season.

I was going to name this thread "Sutherlin Eligibility?" but I didn't want to unintentionally give people a heart attack.

Does anyone know how many years he has left? I know he sat out last year due to injury and he played at least 1 year at UNH and at least 1 year at JuCo. It's not uncommon for players to RS their first year of JuCo to save eligibility and what I'm finding is kind of mixed.

When he signed, the Daily Gopher said "He will come to the Gophers with 1 official season of eligibility (and the bonus Covid year if he chose to do so)." They list him as a Senior but that doesn't mean anything anymore.
Played Juco in 17-18 and 18-19, UNH in 19-20, sat out last year but that wouldn't have counted anyways, this is his extra covid year

Played Juco in 17-18 and 18-19, UNH in 19-20, sat out last year but that wouldn't have counted anyways, this is his extra covid year
Would certainly be interesting to get clarification. If last year was counted as a medical year then he would still technically have his COVID year as well. Kind of seems like the general rule with the covid year included has become 6 years to play 5 where it used to be 5 years to play 4.

So if this is just his 4th year on the court I think there is a solid chance he has one more after this year but could 100% be wrong on that because it is so confusing.

Would certainly be interesting to get clarification. If last year was counted as a medical year then he would still technically have his COVID year as well. Kind of seems like the general rule with the covid year included has become 6 years to play 5 where it used to be 5 years to play 4.

So if this is just his 4th year on the court I think there is a solid chance he has one more after this year but could 100% be wrong on that because it is so confusing.
yup its all about whether he took a medical redshirt last year or not....and im not sure why he wouldnt have....but if he did then he can play another year....of course he has to want to be in college another year as well

I don't think it's a two for one, he could certainly appeal if he wanted too, but I have my doubts that the NCAA will hand out additional year when they already gave everyone an extra year, but I would be happy to be wrong and would love to see him back.

yup its all about whether he took a medical redshirt last year or not....and im not sure why he wouldnt have....but if he did then he can play another year....of course he has to want to be in college another year as well
My interpretation was that essentially last year didn't count. He'd still have his RS season if he would have needed it. Like if he was injured in September, he could have gotten a medical RS this year and another year next year. My thoughts were that he would be finished this season and essentially graduate without using a medical RS.

I don't think using a RS puts a COVID year "in the bank".

Look at Ky Thomas on the football team. He was a FR in 2020 and didn't play. If we used the interpretation that he could essentially bank the COVID year due to a RS, then Ky Thomas would still have 4 years of eligibility remaining after this year. He doesn't (IMO), but what he does have is his RS if he needs it.

I think the real question is if Sutherlin actually played both years at his JuCo. I've only ever seen his SO stats.

It's only a guess but if he had another year it would be public knowledge by now, especially with his obvious value to the program.

And what about Curry? Swear Spencer said on a broadcast that Curry could come back next year. Positive he said it.
(figured the Sutherlin info came to an end)

I’m pretty sure he has just this year, I’d love to be wrong though, he is much better than I had anticipated.

I’m pretty sure he has just this year, I’d love to be wrong though, he is much better than I had anticipated.
I think we all kind of feel that way about all the one year guys in this group. Would love to have most of these guys back again next year.

My interpretation was that essentially last year didn't count. He'd still have his RS season if he would have needed it. Like if he was injured in September, he could have gotten a medical RS this year and another year next year. My thoughts were that he would be finished this season and essentially graduate without using a medical RS.

I don't think using a RS puts a COVID year "in the bank".

Look at Ky Thomas on the football team. He was a FR in 2020 and didn't play. If we used the interpretation that he could essentially bank the COVID year due to a RS, then Ky Thomas would still have 4 years of eligibility remaining after this year. He doesn't (IMO), but what he does have is his RS if he needs it.

I think the real question is if Sutherlin actually played both years at his JuCo. I've only ever seen his SO stats.
Freshman stats https://region9athletics.com/sports/mbkb/north/2017-18/teams/sheridancollege?view=lineup&r=0&pos=sh
Soph stats https://www.region9athletics.com/sp.../teams/sheridancollege?view=lineup&r=1&pos=sh

"He will come to the Gophers with 1 official season of eligibility (and the bonus Covid year if he chose to do so). He is not a great shooter, hitting just 26% of his threes and 56% from the free".......

Last edited:

He can come back for one more year if he chooses - next year would be his covid free pass.
Do you know this, or are you speculating? I understood that 2020 basically didn’t count against your eligibility either way. If you didn’t play, I don’t think you banked another year of playing eligibility. There may be a case for a waiver, but I doubt he qualifies for some blanket exemption.

Do you know this, or are you speculating? I understood that 2020 basically didn’t count against your eligibility either way. If you didn’t play, I don’t think you banked another year of playing eligibility. There may be a case for a waiver, but I doubt he qualifies for some blanket exemption.
I agree. Whatever a player's eligibility status was prior to last season remained the same at the beginning of this season. Sutherlin had previously been active for 3 seasons and this season is his fourth. He will be done.

All the people that played last year are being treated as if they had gotten a hardship redshirt season even though they played.

Top Bottom