Sure, the home crowd is fine, but why not demand more?

bfast

Reaction score
What's the verdict?

Is it the team's job to get the crowd in the game, or is it the crowd's job to be in the game from the start?

I wager that it's the latter - especially if the team is having a reasonable amount of success on the year. If a crowd is in the game from the start, then it has an excuse to quiet down if the home team goes down by 15-20 points. However, there is no excuse for Williams Arena to be a morgue when the game is close and/or just starting!

I want you to contrast Williams Arena today with what the Indiana crowd did against Michigan State a few days ago. Night and day difference. Indiana's crowd willed them to victory and was mind-bendingly loud from the tap, while the Gopher crowd today seemed to sit on their hands for the most part (an ongoing theme).

We always here about how Williams has such a great home court atmosphere, but is that even true anymore?

What's the solution?

Fewer scandinavians?
Cheaper ticket prices for the upper deck?
Move the student section to the sides instead of stuffing it under that overhang that blocks the sound?
More messages over the PA/video board to make noise?

I insist that WE. CAN. DO. BETTER!

Last edited:

The crowd can't carry having 11 points with 5 minutes to go in the half.

SORRY!

But my main point is that it was a morgue for the first 10 minutes when it was a very tight game. Sure, we weren't scoring, but we were stopping them as well.

But my main point is that it was a morgue for the first 10 minutes when it was a very tight game. Sure, we weren't scoring, but we were stopping them as well.

So start screaming for the clanks?

It was a morgue because the Gophers couldn't make a shot. Crowd tried a couple of times in the 2nd half to get going but the Gophers gave up an easy bucket each time and that end it.

The crowd can't carry having 11 points with 5 minutes to go in the half.

SORRY!
Since you like comparing the Gophers to other programs...

I can think of a large number of arenas where the fans would be screaming their heads off for the home team in that exact same scenario. Fans can do their part too.

The easiest way to improve it would be to put the student section all the way around in the first several rows like Michigan State. Won't ever happen though.
That has been done at several places and worked but it came with winning. The atmosphere at Texas Tech, UVA, Villanova is incredible. Auburn has become crazy. UW used to be but when results dropped off so did the enthusiasm .

The crowd isn't going to get into it until the team gives them a reason to. There were only one or two moments where the crowd had a reason to be loud. If the team is shooting that poorly and having so many defensive breakdowns, the crowd is going to be quiet and I don't blame them.

$45 for the cheapest tickets doesn't help either. With fees that's about 5 hours of minimum wage which prices a ton of people out. Teams can charge that if they're good but when they haven't made the tournament back to back years in 10 years and made it out of the first round in back to back years for 30 years, that's a lot to charge. They're clearly running it as a business rather than as a thing for fans so they can't expect the fans to be very supportive.

It's a smaller city with every pro sport. It's a commuter campus. There is a ton of competition for the fans in this city and the fans have not been rabid here since the scandal after the Final Four. The fans come alive when the team does well and when they don't, people just don't show. A lot of the tickets are still held by people who became fans when Musselman was here. Many of them sit on the lower level, come late and leave early. The students are not all in and there isn't much leadership down there from what I can see. So, yeah for the most part this is a crowd that needs the team to do something good for them to get excited. The crowd was ready to explode but there was never anything to work with. Tough day.

The crowd isn't going to get into it until the team gives them a reason to. There were only one or two moments where the crowd had a reason to be loud. If the team is shooting that poorly and having so many defensive breakdowns, the crowd is going to be quiet and I don't blame them.

$45 for the cheapest tickets doesn't help either. With fees that's about 5 hours of minimum wage which prices a ton of people out. Teams can charge that if they're good but when they haven't made the tournament back to back years in 10 years and made it out of the first round in back to back years for 30 years, that's a lot to charge. They're clearly running it as a business rather than as a thing for fans so they can't expect the fans to be very supportive.
They need to do a better job of giving tickets away to HS teams and various groups. You know you're going to have a few thousand for all but 2-3 games these days. Fill them up. Frozen pizzas aren't the only way to reduce ticket inventory.

What's the verdict?

Is it the team's job to get the crowd in the game, or is it the crowd's job to be in the game from the start?

I wager that it's the latter - especially if the team is having a reasonable amount of success on the year. If a crowd is in the game from the start, then it has an excuse to quiet down if the home team goes down by 15-20 points. However, there is no excuse for Williams Arena to be a morgue when the game is close and/or just starting!

I want you to contrast Williams Arena today with what the Indiana crowd did against Michigan State a few days ago. Night and day difference. Indiana's crowd willed them to victory and was mind-bendingly loud from the tap, while the Gopher crowd today seemed to sit on their hands for the most part (an ongoing theme).

We always here about how Williams has such a great home court atmosphere, but is that even true anymore?

What's the solution?

Fewer scandinavians?
Cheaper ticket prices for the upper deck?
Move the student section to the sides instead of stuffing it under that overhang that blocks the sound?
More messages over the PA/video board to make noise?

I insist that WE. CAN. DO. BETTER!
I agree 100%. People can say what they want, but the fact of the matter is turn other big ten games on and its definately not as quiet as the barn. Sure we didnt shoot it great today, but you're right. Crowd shouldn't be waiting for us to do something good they should be loud from the get go! When opposing team has the ball we try and make noise, but it's almost a half ass attempt.

Not sure exactly what can be done, but I like all these schools where students are on side rather than behind basket.

Yesterday at michigan, michigan couldnt hit a shot either in first half and guy from michigan was walking ball up court with michigan fans standing up getting loud, encouraging their team almost saying come on boys we'll get you through this!

I mentioned this elsewhere, but the lack of energy from the student section to start the game was largely due to the Kobe news breaking mere minutes before tip-off. Half of us were scrambling to find out if the news were true, and no one was 100% focused on the game until a few minutes had passed.

But yes, we can absolutely be better overall. The truly great atmospheres that I've been a part of have all been a direct result of the team's performance, rather than being a part of the game from the jump (Ohio State, Purdue last year, Nebraska last year come to mind). The one game I can pick out that felt huge from the start was the Miami game 2 years ago. Is this a common theme for venues elsewhere? I'm not sure.

As to solutions, it's hard to pick out. I'd love to have the students along the sideline, but the wavering attendance from game to game could lead to some poor looking games on TV. If I'm being honest, I don't think the student section is led very well when I see what other sections in the B1G look like. No color coordination in the last 2 seasons, very few coordinated chants, etc. The only things we're given are what to say after free throws and what to say if someone fouls out. That's fine when the team is doing well, but when they aren't, there's nothing else for us to be excited about.

This is a chicken or the egg thing to me, with solid arguments on both sides. There's a few criticisms of the crowd that I think are fair. The first is that it's not (or rarely) live and loud at the tip. There's a lot of places where the crowd is in to the game and has a presence from the tip off and it lasts until their team gives them a reason to stop being boisterous. At Minnesota, it takes something, or a couple of things, going well to get the crowd going. I think this is partly a game ops issue and the U tried with the cell phone pre game thing, but with the age of the crowd that was always going to be a tall task. The other issue is when the crowd gets in to its usually after a made basket or two and that's not really when the team needs them. If people would get on their feet after the defense had given up buckets on two possessions in a row that would be more helpful. Finally, it's embarrassing that Pitino (or anyone, I think he's now smartly got his players doing it) has to get up and cajole the crowd to make noise when the opposition is at the free throw line. How many clutch free throws have the Gophers missed over the years? I still remember the crowd being quiet as a library when Michigan was at the line for two game deciding free throws at the Barn during Tubby's tenure the end result of which was another terrible February (or early March) loss.

On the other hand this has been a very difficult program to root for especially for those of who remember when you felt good about a win when any opponent came in to the Barn. I've noticed a lot of open seats in what I assume are big donor areas (center court first ten rows) a number of times this season. It's also very apparent how old the crowd is at least among the seats that are often shown on television. I think those loyal ticket holders feel they've done there job simply by paying for/showing up for the product that's been put on the floor and it's hard to blame them for feeling that way.

I believe a better product on the court is the main solution, but I also think the U needs to be willing to embrace change to try to get the Barn rocking again even if it means alienating long-time season ticket holders by making some outside the box changes to the game-day experience.

I mentioned this elsewhere, but the lack of energy from the student section to start the game was largely due to the Kobe news breaking mere minutes before tip-off. Half of us were scrambling to find out if the news were true, and no one was 100% focused on the game until a few minutes had passed.

Not just the students. My section was talking about it and my 15 year old son (who plays high school basketball), was wiping tears from his eyes. So excuse some of us if we we're not on our game as fans to start the game.

Maybe we just need to play Iowa every single home game. But seriously, the barn is pretty miserable. I get it, it’s contagious. No one wants to get excited only to lose, but our crowds are afraid of that feeling.

I also think the marketing/pr groups could do much better. Pregame, the crowd is fed show a 17 minute video with pumped in crowd noise that shuts everyone up. Everyone is silenced moments before pregame for WAY to long.

Our MINNESOTA chant, while great, comes almost immediately after EVERY single timeout. Anytime momentum shifts in our favor and the away team calls a time out, the chant starts before the players get to the huddle and cuts off the crowd’s opportunity to cheer in earnest about the recent play. The chant lasts 10 seconds, finishes with a lack luster ‘goooo gophers’ (who else wants to cut this part of the chant out... it sounds awful and ~35% of the fans yell it as loud as the letters), and the crowd is prompted to sit because the chanting is over. Away team takes a time out and silences our crowd in 15 seconds because of that damn chant. Let us cheer throughout the time out and make it loud for them in that huddle.

A new coach, who gives the team a quality B1G team, will help.

We're going nowhere under Pitino. Everyone knows this. Everyone. Even the few still clinging to him. No wonder the attendance has dropped, and the home crowd expects to lose.

He's not a B1G coach. The team is always short on talent, poorly coached, and has zero identity.

Admit it, and make a home run hire, like the football team did. We will take a temporary step back, but they're dead in the water next year without Oturu anyway.

A new coach, who gives the team a quality B1G team, will help.

We're going nowhere under Pitino. Everyone knows this. Everyone. Even the few still clinging to him. No wonder the attendance has dropped, and the home crowd expects to lose.

He's not a B1G coach. The team is always short on talent, poorly coached, and has zero identity.

Admit it, and make a home run hire, like the football team did. We will take a temporary step back, but they're dead in the water next year without Oturu anyway.

Yep, just make a home run hire. Got it! Why hasn't anyone else in the last 45 years thought of this??!!

Great advice. A home run hire "who gives the team a quality B1G team" will help. Thanks.

Yep, just make a home run hire. Got it! Why hasn't anyone else in the last 45 years thought of this??!!

Great advice. A home run hire "who gives the team a quality B1G team" will help. Thanks.

I'll also add, I think we should add a couple of top 10 recruits too. That'll do it.

I think all of the piped in music does the opposite of what is intended. It deadens fan engagement. Make the band the centerpiece of music again (and increase the playlist from the same six damn non rouser songs its been playing for thirty years) and I think it would help on the margins.

Additionally, college refs (particularly yesterday's crew) kill momentum which kills noise. The constant foul calls cause stoppages in play which kills the building. It's tough to get the building going when the refs call 30-50 fouls a game.

IU, MSU, Michigan..... all have teams that have had recent and regular success. Student sections that are filled to the max, even when school is on break. Learned behavior.

MN will get there but we have to continue winning and competing on a high level. Last night was not at a high level.

Or just keep fumbling along as an also ran. Keep holding out, when we get those new recruits next year, why, that'll be just the ticket.

Keep repeating the mantra year after year.

Pitino couldn't coach a team with Murphy, McBrayer and Coffey to a .500 B1G record. He's not a good coach. What does he do well?

Move on already. Maybe the next guy won't get it done either, but continuing with Pitino will guarantee the same **** year after year. A couple decent recruits, no depth, poorly coached. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Or just keep fumbling along as an also ran. Keep holding out, when we get those new recruits next year, why, that'll be just the ticket.

Pitino couldn't coach a team with Murphy, McBrayer and Coffey to a .500 B1G record. He's not a good coach. What does he do well?

Move on already. Maybe the next guy won't get it done either, but continuing with Pitino will guarantee the same **** year after year. A couple decent recruits, no depth, poorly coached. Lather, rinse, repeat.
At some point we are going to have to have enough patience to work with a coach through the ups and downs. To recruit against Minnesota right now, all you have to do is say, hey the coach never lasts there, if you go there the coach might be gone. We have tried changing coaches every 6-7 years. I repeat, Pitino's years 4-5-6 and now 7 are better than 1-2-3. The trend is up. He needs more good players like Oturu and Carr. He needs to continue to bring in better and better classes. That may well come with patience and momentum. If he finishes this year well, goes to the NCAAs then he is 3 of the last 4. It's never been done here before.

If he misses the NCAAs then we have a real discussion. Right now, it is midseason we are 5-5 which is better than most thought we would be and we are right on the bubble.

I'll add one more thing. If we make it or don't make it this year but we are on the bubble...and Oturu stays- we are going to be starting next season ranked in the top 25.

Last edited:

OUCH!! Sad but true....except for a few occasions prior and current seasons, the crowd "sits" on their hands waiting for the "other shoe to drop"...

Top Bottom