Summer Presser with Coach P

Gopher68

Reaction score
Interesting to note a trip to Croatia and Greece in August.

Praise for Mara Braun's play with USA Basketball and that it's great exposure for her plus she comes back to the Gophers with that experience.

Ajok Madol will be playing with Canada Basketball until I think she said July.

NCAA gives them 10 extra practices for the tour to Croatia and Greece. I believe that was set-up by Whalen ere. Gophers will be doing some fundraising for that.

Nia Holloway is close to being ready to be back. Almost. Being patient. She looks good so far.

BOOM! Reporter asked coach a sneaky question about Holloway, "Do you have the size to keep her at wing or do you think you need to play her..." Coach laughed and deflected it with, "She is someone who is going to be able to help us because she is such a good athlete, plays hard, makes plays others can't make in the same. We really don't play by numbers. Our offense is more reading than that."

My take: Holloway is interesting. A great athlete. Was a power forward in high school. I don't yet trust her longer range shot. She's a tweener. May work well in the Coach P positionless basketball system. I don't know.

Back to video.... recruiting. Coach staff has great connections and the relationships actually begin when girls are young and develop over time. (I assume that means it takes time).

Lots of energy around women's college basketball right now. Getting recognition.

New staff Graduate Manager Brooke Olson was player of the year this year for DII and received exposure.

Big Ten has been strong for awhile for women's basketball. Great that Big Ten Tournament will be hosted upcoming year in Minneapolis.

Lots of exciting players to watch.

The 3x3 games are fun to watch, fast paced.

The women's basketball team this season is really young.

Asked about the transfer players Sophie Hart and Janay Sanders, Coach said they've been incredible leaders.

Praise for Mara Braun's play with USA Basketball and that it's great exposure for her plus she comes back to the Gophers with that experience.

NCAA gives them 10 extra practices for the tour to Croatia and Greece. I believe that was set-up by Whalen ere. Gophers will be doing some fundraising for that.

Nia Holloway is close to being ready to be back. Almost. Being patient. She looks good so far.

BOOM! Reporter asked coach a sneaky question about Holloway, "Do you have the size to keep her at wing or do you think you need to play her..." Coach laughed and deflected it with, "She is someone who is going to be able to help us because she is such a good athlete, plays hard, makes plays others can't make in the same. We really don't play by numbers. Our offense is more reading than that."

My take: Holloway is interesting. A great athlete. Was a power forward in high school. I don't yet trust her longer range shot. She's a tweener. May work well in the Coach P positionless basketball system. I don't know.

Back to video.... recruiting. Coach staff has great connections and the relationships actually begin when girls are young and develop over time. (I assume that means it takes time).

Lots of energy around women's college basketball right now. Getting recognition.

New staff Graduate Manager Brooke Olson was player of the year this year for DII and received exposure.

Big Ten has been strong for awhile for women's basketball. Great that Big Ten Tournament will be hosted upcoming year in Minneapolis.

Asked about the transfer players Sophie Hart and Janay Sanders, Coach said they've been incredible leaders.

Yes, the Europe trip was set up by the prior coaching staff. It has been in the works for a year, but not lots of folks seem to be aware of it. UConn is making a trip with similar stops based on some other reports I've seen. If you recall, Whalen didn't get to go on the last trip as she was still playing in her final Lynx season.

Top Bottom