Sumlin...homerun hire?

FIne let's go all the way down the rabbit hole here.

We hire Mike Grant as HC and Kevin Sumlin as OC.... and yeah Tony Dungy as moral coordinator / DC.

Well, Tubby Smith got sick of the pressure cooker at Kentucky. Stands to reason Sumlin could be the same. Also, the spectre of Chip Kelly looming over a program with deeeeeeeeep donor pockets is interesting too. It might not be as far fetched as first thought?

So the plan would be to upgrade and attempt to become a national power with a coach that can't handle the pressure cooker environment of the big stage?

Give me a coach on the upswing rather than the downswing any day. Sumlin inherited Johnny Football and had one great season at A&M. Otherwise he's had a ton of talent come through and had mediocre success.

How many coaches have been hired either on the hot seat or after they were fired and went on to have great season's elsewhere? My guess is very few. We just did this with Tubby on the basketball side and it was a failure.

Row the Boat... Thats all I have to say. No way in hell I could handle listen to the crap spewing out of that guys mouth.

The fact you think PJF would be a better hire than Sumlin is all anyone needs to know about your input. smh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Completely agree! In the SEC, he is a small fish in a big pond (similar to what Minnesota is in the BIG). Conversely, WMU is a big fish in the MAC. It just won't be the same here. All you have to do is look at Babers, Coyle's last hire at Syracuse.

As mentioned in the last article I posted here, Sumlin and Kelly have the same agent. I know there has been talk that TAM would want Kelly if Sumlin were to move on. Hope Coyle has been talking to the agent. Frankly, I don't think any of the other guys mentioned get Coyle and Kaler out of the deep hole they've dug for themselves with the BoR. I feel strongly that Sumlin does, and at least gives them some breathing room.

Obviously their main hurdle is the price tag and getting the BoR comfortable with it. With no buyout in play, they should be able to convince the BoR if the are even adequate execs (I know, debatable).

Would love it if Sumlin came here...he is currently making 5 Million a year at A & M though. Not sure he would walk away from that, especially after driving on some Black Ice in -8 temps.

Would love it if Sumlin came here...he is currently making 5 Million a year at A & M though. Not sure he would walk away from that, especially after driving on some Black Ice in -8 temps.

He basically started his coaching career at the U. Wife is from here, met her here, and her parents live here. He has no buyout. Immediate jump in donations. Can easily see deep pocket boosters covering some of his salary. TAM is making his seat hot.

Immediate diversion away from the current narrative. Coyle would be stupid not to do everything possible to get Sumlin.

He basically started his coaching career at the U. Wife is from here, met her here, and her parents live here. He has no buyout. Immediate jump in donations. Can easily see deep pocket boosters covering some of his salary. TAM is making his seat hot.

Immediate diversion away from the current narrative. Coyle would be stupid not to do everything possible to get Sumlin.

Did not know he was from here...and 100% agree with everything you said. I doubt Coyle even made the call though.

Did not know he was from here...and 100% agree with everything you said. I doubt Coyle even made the call though.

His wife is from here...he coached here at U in late 90s.

+1 he is not coming here. Neither is Les Miles. It's probably PJ Fleck or bust.

That's so much more annoying than "Brick by brick"...

Guess you are just being funny. That slogan has a direct tie to past glory of Gopher FB and the Brickhouse. Perfect metaphor to link past with future...actually something the sports marketing Dept did extremely well.

This better be Plan B...

Shoulda been plan A along with Les Miles.

Let's just keep throwing money at mid major guys.

Friggin Claeys was so embarrassing on CCO with his "im just a small town guy from Kansas" crap. Time to stop hiring these guys and guys of their ilk.

You can't tell me a guy getting his ass handed to him and is on the hot seat in the SEC wouldn't jump at moving to another power 5 program.

F the boat.

Shoulda been plan A along with Les Miles.

Let's just keep throwing money at mid major guys.

Friggin Claeys was so embarrassing on CCO with his "im just a small town guy from Kansas" crap. Time to stop hiring these guys and guys of their ilk.

You can't tell me a guy getting his ass handed to him and is on the hot seat in the SEC wouldn't jump at moving to another power 5 program.

F the boat.

Fleck should have been maybe Plan C or D, but as I said, I bet Coyle thougt low hanging fruit and slam dunk with PJ...plus some flash to the hire.

IMO Sumlin would be a terrible hire. He hasn't finished higher than 4th in the SEC East since 2012 (his first year there). He's consistently had the softest defenses in the league. The most overrated coach out there.

IMO Sumlin would be a terrible hire. He hasn't finished higher than 4th in the SEC East since 2012 (his first year there). He's consistently had the softest defenses in the league. The most overrated coach out there.

You do realize that Texas A&M is in the SEC West and not East right? Alabama, LSU, Auburn, Ole Miss, Miss St, and Arkansas a little different that the East offerings. He's not coming here anyway, but figured if your thought he was the most overrated coach out there you might know what side of the SEC he coaches in. 79-38 as a Head Coach overall. Not sure who you are rating him against.

You do realize that Texas A&M is in the SEC West and not East right? Alabama, LSU, Auburn, Ole Miss, Miss St, and Arkansas a little different that the East offerings. He's not coming here anyway, but figured if your thought he was the most overrated coach out there you might know what side of the SEC he coaches in. 79-38 as a Head Coach overall. Not sure who you are rating him against.

+1. Thanks. There are a lot of things working in U's favor with him, so if he's not on Coyle's list, that's a big mistake.

Lots of clueless posters on Ghole. That's half the fun, though.

+1. Thanks. There are a lot of things working in U's favor with him, so if he's not on Coyle's list, that's a big mistake.

Lots of clueless posters on Ghole. That's half the fun, though.

And you're right up there at the top. Somehow you think Sumlin was going to be interested in taking a paycut to leave Texas A&M to come to Minnesota when he wasn't interested in coming here after a 5-7 season at Houston.

Sumlin would be a great hire for a number of reasons. A lesser one would be giving the finger to the "bleeps" who right after they saw the "suspects" picture said "Get 'um all outa here!"

And you're right up there at the top. Somehow you think Sumlin was going to be interested in taking a paycut to leave Texas A&M to come to Minnesota when he wasn't interested in coming here after a 5-7 season at Houston.

(Tried that approach with him earlier today. Didn't get any traction with him then either)

Well, took you awhile to get over here, guess I need a better dog whistle. Go make love to yourself.

Top Bottom