Sumlin...homerun hire?

PMWinSTP

Reaction score
Thought I'd start a thread on this as I think Kevin Sumlin would equate to a home run hire, given Coyle is doing the hiring.

He has one losing season as a HC. He has a recruiting base in TX. Looks like he no longer has a buy-out due. His seat is hot.

I think Sumlin would get many, many back on-board...fans, alum, former players, major donors (for athlete's village and his salary) ...etc.

Why don't you start the ridiculous post about buying out Urban Meyer's contract?

Well, Tubby Smith got sick of the pressure cooker at Kentucky. Stands to reason Sumlin could be the same. Also, the spectre of Chip Kelly looming over a program with deeeeeeeeep donor pockets is interesting too. It might not be as far fetched as first thought?

Well, Tubby Smith got sick of the pressure cooker at Kentucky. Stands to reason Sumlin could be the same. Also, the spectre of Chip Kelly looming over a program with deeeeeeeeep donor pockets is interesting too. It might not be as far fetched as first thought?

Les Miles, Sumlin and Kelly have same agent as well.

Yep. Plenty of rumors Chip would go to A&M if Sumlin leaves...

Sumlin Coached here and his wife if from here. He knows his seat is hot like Tubby.

This would absolutely be a home run hire.

Not surprising you would choose a coach who's trending downward

It would be. And yeah, maybe there's a 10% chance he would take it. But it's not completely ridiculous.

Any intel on whether Mrs. Sumlin still has family in Minnesota? Is there a draw to having her parents closer to the grandkids? That can be a very powerful force, when combined with a multi-million dollar contract for the husband.

Any intel on whether Mrs. Sumlin still has family in Minnesota? Is there a draw to having her parents closer to the grandkids? That can be a very powerful force, when combined with a multi-million dollar contract for the husband.

I just saw her shopping at Restoration Hardware.

I'm guessing the contract is all but finalized.

I hope they can lure Belichik away from New England, I'm sure he's looking for a change of scenery.

I hope they can lure Belichik away from New England, I'm sure he's looking for a change of scenery.

Thanks for the valuable insight and contribution. Comparing Sumlin to Belichick is even dumber than the one to Meyer.

Sumlin = three run home run.

And you want a guy who's 15-17 in the SEC over the last 4 years.

Over PJ? In a heartbeat. Like how you left off the first year. 21-19 in SEC as HC. 79-38 overall as HC. Recruiting anchor in TX. Donor money for athlete's village spikes immediately.

Yep. No brainer.

I like Sumlin as a coach and recruiter but I don't think his seat is as hot at A&M as others. I don't think he would have serious interest in the Minnesota job, even if he noticed the talent level and facilities have improved since his days on the Wacker staff.
Texas A&M is a better job in major college football, has been for a long time. He would take more money than Minnesota is willing to pay. I don't care that his wife is from here, not everyone want's to come back to what this Tundra hell hole, when it is minus 25 degrees windchill out. I wouldn't mind one bit Sumlin coming here, but I have serious doubts he would be interested. He if anyone knows from being on the Wacker staff, knows that Minnesota is a graveyard for college head coaches. All you have to do is circle 300 miles on a map and say in your own back yard where are you going to get the players to win.

And you want a guy who's 15-17 in the SEC over the last 4 years.

Seriously??? What do u think Clayes' record would have been in the SEC? Now, I'm not saying Sumlin would automatically win a Big10 title if he comes here, but I'd rather take a chance with his 15-17 SEC record, along with his coaching experience here, over Fleck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Sumlin, or someone with his brand name, is hired, I hate to admit that I would probably be willing to forget about how poorly the administration handled the last 4 months. I would be back on board in a heart beat. I'm guessing this is what the administration was hoping. The season ticket holders could be suckered back in, but the activist left crowd that couldn't care any less about football would tear Kaler and the rest of University to shreds until there was something new to protest. Lets not get our hopes up for Sumlin because I doubt it happens. Would love if it did, but I do not have much faith in this. Could you imagine though.... :clap:

If Sumlin, or someone with his brand name, is hired, I hate to admit that I would probably be willing to forget about how poorly the administration handled the last 4 months. I would be back on board in a heart beat. I'm guessing this is what the administration was hoping. The season ticket holders could be suckered back in, but the activist left crowd that couldn't care any less about football would tear Kaler and the rest of University to shreds until there was something new to protest. Lets not get our hopes up for Sumlin because I doubt it happens. Would love if it did, but I do not have much faith in this. Could you imagine though.... :clap:

Amen to that...keep the faith. Also, please email BoR Chairman Johnson with your thoughts and support to pursue Sumlin. Coyle and Kaler need presser from that direction.

[email protected]

Not surprising you would choose a coach who's trending downward

The fact you think PJF would be a better hire than Sumlin is all anyone needs to know about your input. smh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like Sumlin as a coach and recruiter but I don't think his seat is as hot at A&M as others. I don't think he would have serious interest in the Minnesota job, even if he noticed the talent level and facilities have improved since his days on the Wacker staff.
Texas A&M is a better job in major college football, has been for a long time. He would take more money than Minnesota is willing to pay. I don't care that his wife is from here, not everyone want's to come back to what this Tundra hell hole, when it is minus 25 degrees windchill out. I wouldn't mind one bit Sumlin coming here, but I have serious doubts he would be interested. He if anyone knows from being on the Wacker staff, knows that Minnesota is a graveyard for college head coaches. All you have to do is circle 300 miles on a map and say in your own back yard where are you going to get the players to win.

This is the edited version?

The fact you think PJF would be a better hire than Sumlin is all anyone needs to know about your input. smh.

Give me a coach on the upswing rather than the downswing any day. Sumlin inherited Johnny Football and had one great season at A&M. Otherwise he's had a ton of talent come through and had mediocre success.

How many coaches have been hired either on the hot seat or after they were fired and went on to have great season's elsewhere? My guess is very few. We just did this with Tubby on the basketball side and it was a failure.

Top Bottom