Suggs recent interview

I wonder whats not hard enough means. Does it mean that he basically blew him off. Paid a little attention to him, didn't drool enough over him. Some kids really like to be pampered big time. What part of not hard enough really mean in this case?

If legit, not really a big loss on the football side as no way of knowing what if anything he would have been able to do as a true freshman. Obviously a huge loss on the basketball side as he would have instantly made that team a ton better.

Wouldn't have mattered at all for the football team, since he was a one-and-done'er in basketball...

Wouldn't have mattered at all for the football team, since he was a one-and-done'er in basketball...
He might not have been if he joined the basketball team late. Honestly smarter for him not to play both sports though I wish he would have.

Why keep hurting the U?
I don't think this hurts the U, I think the opposite actually. You have a 1st round draft pick saying he wanted to go to the U, and the only reason he didn't is because the coach who is no longer here was a lazy recruiter. We know Ben and staff are not lazy recruiters, so going forward a kid in his situation might make the choice that Suggs was intending to make.

He was ready to commit after sophomore year. A lot changed after that.

He put it on Pitino and sounded genuine. Just wanted him to show up more and Pitino didn’t.

He is a one and done in BB who was as likely to play FB for MN as I am.
Pitino was made redundant for many. many reasons not just his mostly dismal recruiting.

Pitino isn't here any longer, because he didn't connect with local talent, this story fit's the narrative.

Suggs is not the first MN athlete to say this. Others have said the exact same thing. When coaches that are half a continent away are investing more in local talent, it is not a good thing. Pitino obviously never had the hustle in him to get the job done.

I wonder whats not hard enough means. Does it mean that he basically blew him off. Paid a little attention to him, didn't drool enough over him. Some kids really like to be pampered big time. What part of not hard enough really mean in this case?
pitino sucked . he absolutley sucked , lazy beyouch.

I know of a very good D-1 basketball player, and he said that Pitino did not really recruit him that hard either. Maybe that was just his nature.

Quote from Suggs in the story:

"They didn't come to recruit, they didn't come to many games, they weren't at practice. When you're that close, and especially, I never really had too much interaction with Pitino. He's cool, like the times we did talk he's good people. But, I wish, if he would've just came a little more, like showed interest like he actually wanted me to be there, then I think it would've been easy and I honestly would've chalked it up and committed probably my late junior year."

If this is true it's really to bad. He's not lying about being close as Minnehaha Academy is basically in the U's backyard. You should have a different coach driving over there once or twice a week to be at practice when it's a kid at that level.

Suggs is trying to get the people off his case who criticize him for not being loyal to Minnesota and staying home to play for the Gophers. So he takes a cheap shot at Pitino hoping to make us like him more? There is nothing to be gained if there is a shred of truth to it by bringing it up now...why not say it when he announced he was going to Gonzaga? Then it would have required a response from Pitino. Now it doesn't. Cheap shot artist. He's a kid.
And if Suggs told Pitino he wanted to go away to school or gave him some other reason he wasn't coming...it's basketball season...you can only be so many places. There was plenty of stories he watched Garcia play at 6am and other times. He recruited him hard, he just lost out. The player has to give you some indication he's interested. 100% he didn't do that. Or if he did his dad said "Don't waste your time, my kid ain't gonna be a Gopher." If true, there is another side. Pitino is not dumb. He knows Suggs, Holmgren kind of guys save his job.

Last edited:

Quote from Suggs in the story:

"They didn't come to recruit, they didn't come to many games, they weren't at practice. When you're that close, and especially, I never really had too much interaction with Pitino. He's cool, like the times we did talk he's good people. But, I wish, if he would've just came a little more, like showed interest like he actually wanted me to be there, then I think it would've been easy and I honestly would've chalked it up and committed probably my late junior year."

If this is true it's really to bad. He's not lying about being close as Minnehaha Academy is basically in the U's backyard. You should have a different coach driving over there once or twice a week to be at practice when it's a kid at that level.
It’s almost like someone has been seeding dissension regarding pitino for a few years. Ben? May I have a word with you

Five star basketball recruit would have committed to mid-tier power conference program if only he'd known they wanted him. The hottest girl in school totally would have dated the anime nerd if only he'd bought her flowers.

This feels like former Minnesota high school basketball players dumping on Pitino, who can't defend himself, to save face locally, and act like committing to other teams wasn't their own decision. But hey, if they're being truthful, and Pitino was just such a cancer, then I look forward to all the top local talent spurning Duke, North Carolina, Gonzaga, Baylor, Stanford, etc., and flocking to Ben Johnson's program in the coming years now that Pitino is no longer here to push them away.

Top Bottom