Success or not so much

Roy Christensen

Trying to do it all!
Reaction score
For me as a "big Gopher fan" the highlites of last season were the victories over Louisville and Wisconsin x 2. The loss that was really difficult to digest was Michigan in the Barn. I wasn't so concerned over the post season. I feel the same this year. The victory over Wisc put me on a high that lasted for days and brightened everything. Thinking about it still makes me warm and fuzzy. What I wish for now is to beat the Boilermakers tonite and then have the team take it to Michigan on their home floor. That would make the season for me. If that happens then the NCAA can decide what they want about the tournament and no matter what I'll be ok.
PS. Forget about Royce and Trevor. Where would this team be now if Al had just stayed eligible?

For me as a "big Gopher fan" the highlites of last season were the victories over Louisville and Wisconsin x 2. The loss that was really difficult to digest was Michigan in the Barn. I wasn't so concerned over the post season. I feel the same this year. The victory over Wisc put me on a high that lasted for days and brightened everything. Thinking about it still makes me warm and fuzzy. What I wish for now is to beat the Boilermakers tonite and then have the team take it to Michigan on their home floor. That would make the season for me. If that happens then the NCAA can decide what they want about the tournament and no matter what I'll be ok.
PS. Forget about Royce and Trevor. Where would this team be now if Al had just stayed eligible?

Hard for me to not be disappointed with the season this year. Pleased with the win over the Badgers, but the let down against MSU, and the pathetic games against NW,Mich and IU still hang over me like a storm cloud. Last year, okay, we are still growing, but this team is experienced and should have been mature enough to get the job done in the "winnables" and it hasn't. Running the table in the next two weeks, and most will be forgiven, but the "should have beens" will hang around for a long time.

Nolen's absence probably cost them two wins, NW and Mich, the difference between a solid bubble and not being on it.

I tend to agree with you. Tonight's game is against the highest ranked opponent this year. We haven't beaten a top five? team since like the 70's. Maybe someone can be more specific on this.

Where would this team be now if Al had just stayed eligible?

Hard to say whether we would be in a the same place or not. Until everyone pulled things together the last few games chemistry has been an obvious issue, would have it been the same if Al was playing? Would we have been a better team? Yes. Would other players got the chance to step up or would Tubby have a changed a thing or two regarding the defense or offense that made us successful against Wisconsin? Too many intangibles. I'm not knocking Al in anyway, shape, or form by the way. Just sayin'

I tend to agree with you. Tonight's game is against the highest ranked opponent this year. We haven't beaten a top five? team since like the 70's. Maybe someone can be more specific on this.

In 1989, we beat Illinois when they were #1, Iowa when they were #4, and Michigan when they were somewhere in the top ten.

Last win over a Top 5 team came in Alaska in 1994 vs. #5 Arizona (since vacated).

Last win over a Top 5 team at Williams Arena was 1992 vs. #4 Indiana.

We've never beaten a Top 5 team in a true road game.

Last win over a Top 5 team came in Alaska in 1994 vs. #5 Arizona (since vacated).

Actually I was at that game against Indy. Thanks for reminding me.

I am more into a PC type of thinking in this regard. I had my expectation, and the team did not make it up to now. There still are a few games left to change that. Nevertheless, underachieving or otherwise, I just want them to fight hard and go down in dignity if it comes to that at all. That is why the loss to Michigan really got me as we imploded in that game.

I do not think many of us have expected to win over MSU and at NW. We blew the opportunities, but never in my mind has it occurred that the players did not try hard. Teams make mistakes and take advantage of opponents' mistakes. We make a run, and sometimes they make a run. A few lucky breaks can be decisive. So, though still hurt, those games do not bother me as much as vs. Michigan. Even the loss to IU does not bother me much. That is how things can go on the road when the team is not good enough.

I just want the team to try their best and finish the season in a dignifying manner. While the season may not turn out to be as successful as hoped, that would at least keep me interested for the rest of the way given the circumstances.

Hard to say whether we would be in a the same place or not. Until everyone pulled things together the last few games chemistry has been an obvious issue, would have it been the same if Al was playing? Would we have been a better team? Yes. Would other players got the chance to step up or would Tubby have a changed a thing or two regarding the defense or offense that made us successful against Wisconsin? Too many intangibles. I'm not knocking Al in anyway, shape, or form by the way. Just sayin'

Absolutely agreeable. The same logic goes to the case of Royce and Trevor, I believe.

We played in Alaska??? vs Arizona???

GAS

yes that was the year the Gophers won the Great Alaska Shootout (at Thanksgiving), when it was still a premier tournament. That tourny has declined significantly since and may disappear.

yes that was the year the Gophers won the Great Alaska Shootout (at Thanksgiving), when it was still a premier tournament. That tourny has declined significantly since and may disappear.

Townsend Orr and Voshon Leonard were Co-MVPs of the tournament. Arizona's starting PG was Damon Stoudamire.

Bar none, the best in-season tournament performance by a Gopher team ever. Will be extremely difficult to top it.

Beat Arizona, Villanova and then BYU in the title game. All 3 teams made the NCAA Tournament that year, as did the Gophers. It was the main reason the Gophers got an at-large bid despite sporting a very pedestrian #66 in the RPI.

We played in Alaska??? vs Arizona???

IIRC the game was on ESPN at about 11:00 pm. Clem had the team looking razor sharp. Eric Harris and Sam Jacobsen were frosh. Harris and T Orr played great "D" on the All American Stoudimire and Jacobsen had a "Rodney Williams like" dunk.

Top Bottom