Success at the point

Sota1

Reaction score
The success of this team will depend greatly on how Al Nolen fares at PG. Last night he seemed much more aggressive in taking the ball to the hoop and being a threat to score. Last year he started out with this mentality, but melted down the stretch. I think this was in large part due to his confidence in his shot (which was horrible). If he can focus on leading the team and playing the defense that is needed, he can get some of the magic he showed his freshman year and early last year. Cobbs will need at least a year to get to the level that is needed. We certainly have questions marks accross the board, but it all starts with a "General" that can lead the team. I am expecting a huge year from Al this year as he starts to play a little looser.

Speaking of point play... somebody has to show Cory Joseph clips of Rodney...he would love to throw lobs to this freak.

Joseph is strictly a #2. Looks to shoot first, then pass. I think he's going to be a decent player, but he really forced some shots last night. The other night at the end of the SFA game he shot a 3 with about 20 seconds on the shot clock. I saw Tubby glaring at him down the court, as if to say, "what are you doing". Not a big deal, but he needs to be a little more aware of the game going on around him............

Joseph is strictly a #2. Looks to shoot first, then pass. I think he's going to be a decent player, but he really forced some shots last night. The other night at the end of the SFA game he shot a 3 with about 20 seconds on the shot clock. I saw Tubby glaring at him down the court, as if to say, "what are you doing". Not a big deal, but he needs to be a little more aware of the game going on around him............

Cory Joseph is a HS recruit who is PG. Devoe Joseph is SG who played for Gophers last night. You have them confused, I think.

He looks more like a shooting guard in how he has been playing this year. Doesn't really direct the offense when he has been at the point, and he looks to score first. Maybe it's too early to judge. However, my opinion.........

Al Nolen may not be lighting up the scoreboards, but he's doing a great job of taking care of the ball and playing defense, which is what a point guard needs to do. With 7 assists in each of his first three games for a total of 21 assists and only 2 turnovers on the year, it looks like he's off to a great start.

Al Nolen may not be lighting up the scoreboards, but he's doing a great job of taking care of the ball and playing defense, which is what a point guard needs to do. With 7 assists in each of his first three games for a total of 21 assists and only 2 turnovers on the year, it looks like he's off to a great start.

He is doing those things but he's doing a poor job of running the offense. When your half court set looks as raggedy as it did against Utah Valley, your PG isn't doing a great job. Now its true that if some shots would've fallen it wouldn't have looked as bad but it was still rough

The success of this team will depend greatly on how Al Nolen fares at PG. Last night he seemed much more aggressive in taking the ball to the hoop and being a threat to score. Last year he started out with this mentality, but melted down the stretch. I think this was in large part due to his confidence in his shot (which was horrible). If he can focus on leading the team and playing the defense that is needed, he can get some of the magic he showed his freshman year and early last year. Cobbs will need at least a year to get to the level that is needed. We certainly have questions marks accross the board, but it all starts with a "General" that can lead the team. I am expecting a huge year from Al this year as he starts to play a little looser.
I like aggressive. I want Al to play aggressive defense (which he does). I want him to aggressively push the ball up the floor (which he seldom does). I, however, only want him to take the ball aggressively to the hoop if there is a wide open path available. He took the Gophers out of several games last year with those aggressive drives.

Top Bottom