Style?

GoFerFan

Reaction score
What style of offense and defense will we be playing now?

4-3 on defense.
Multiple set with an emphasis on running the ball on offense (zone -read out of a shotgun-spread look I believe is his base play)

The spread is quite a bit from Dunbar's spread. It goes out of the pistol quite a bit and it is much more based on power running than what we had before. It shouldn't require nearly as much transition for our offensive lineman. If you notice (youtube has some 10 min game clips), their spread runs a lot of sets with fullbacks and multiple tight ends. It kind of reminds me a little bit of what you see at Auburn but they were sans a power running QB.

Doggie

But now we are the Sire, and the rest of the B10 is the bitch.

This season, NIU ran the ball 65% of the time, and running plays made up about 60% of their yards. I think having the option in the mix will really open things up for us.

If you watch the press conference he went beyond 4-3. He indicated he would like a great pass rusher, and two shut down corners. He went on to say we will stop the run. He can live with getting beat by a pass, but not by the run. This sounds like a David Gibbs defense.

On offense he likes a QB who can run. They will go 2 back and run down hill, they will use speed option, and a spread option. No wonder Gray was all smiles.

What we know

It will be smashmouth from start to finish. Now that is refreshing.

He indicated he would like a great pass rusher, and two shut down corners.

Of all the things he said at the press conference, this was the best thing I heard. Although you do get a lot of pass interference penalties, playing man on the corners with single high safety is THE perfect defense to run in the Big Ten IMHO. And, if you do have a couple of shutdown corners, it helps cover up lack of athleticism in the front 7.

My $0.02

Top Bottom