Stupid losses under Kill? I don't see any since 2011.

Go Gophers Rah

Section 238 Row 21
Reaction score
Now that I posted a depressing stat about our record against teams finishing the season in the Top-25 (1-49 since 2000), I will look at the half-full aspect of the glass.

Kill's first year (2011) had a bone-headed loss to New Mexico State, a loss to an NDSU team that went 14-1 and a trouncing at the Big House.

Since then, however, have there been any losses that absolutely should've been wins?

The only candidates I can find are:
a 2012 loss in Iowa City to a 4-8/2-6 Hawkeye team
a 2013 loss in the Big House to a 7-6/3-5 Michigan squad
the 2013 bowl loss to a 7-6/4-4 (in a weak division) Syracuse
and the 2014 loss at Illinois to a team that went to a bowl.

I would argue that none of those were stupid losses.

We'll see how Northwestern and Nebraska fair the remainder of the year, but I suspect both may end up playing a bowl game. If that is the case, that would mean Jerry Kill's lone loss to a non-bowl team after his first year was the 2012 Loss in Iowa City. I don't see anything too embarrassing about that.

You could argue Illinois at the time because, they were a dumpster fire coming to the game. They got some life with the win against us, but I don't think they win a Big Ten game if we had taken care of business that day. Bowl games are such a crapshoot because the one month layoff makes it a whole new season. The teams get the same amount of practices as you do in Spring ball leading up to it. 2013 first game with out Kill. The Iowa game in hindsight may be, but if anything it exposed that our 2012 squad wasn't ready for primetime.

Top Bottom