Stumbled across this today

denguegopher

Reaction score
The 1979 Michigan-Indiana game where the Michigan player (#23) purposefully tosses the ball out or bounds to stop the clock and of course there was no penalty called. That would be a 15-yard penalty when most teams do that. I know that the topic is old, but IMHO its just an example of the officiating benefits that Michigan and Ohio State enjoy to this day. Go Gophers, let's have a great 2022 season!

The 1979 Michigan-Indiana game where the Michigan player (#23) purposefully tosses the ball out or bounds to stop the clock and of course there was no penalty called. That would be a 15-yard penalty when most teams do that. I know that the topic is old, but IMHO its just an example of the officiating benefits that Michigan and Ohio State enjoy to this day. Go Gophers, let's have a great 2022 season!
Im not sure you’re correct in saying that would be a 15 yard penalty

I think today it would be a fumble out of bounds, ball spotted at point of release, clock starts on ready for play with a 10 second runoff of Michigan doesn’t have a timeout

What is illegal about the play?

Good question but believe it would be automatic 10 second run-off for intentionally stopping clock. Since there were 6 seconds left, game over.

BTW, horrible defense by Indiana on last play.

Good question but believe it would be automatic 10 second run-off for intentionally stopping clock. Since there were 6 seconds left, game over.

BTW, horrible defense by Indiana on last play.
Yeah. And runoff could be canceled by a timeout.

Thanks Dengue. Good info. Don't know if Michigan had any time outs remaining but 5 second runoff and clock starting at ball placement probably ends that game.

The depth of paranoia among some fans is amazing.
Using a play from 40 years ago to establish that some teams to this day are favored by the officials while other teams-read MN- are not is carrying things a bit far.

Maybe it's just that big time players make big time plays and Anthony Carter was one. 3 time All- American and a Great Viking too!
Speaking of the transfer portal....interesting AC story on the difference in today's parenting...
AC's Mom

The depth of paranoia among some fans is amazing.
Using a play from 40 years ago to establish that some teams to this day are favored by the officials while other teams-read MN- are not is carrying things a bit far.
Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
You step out of line
The Ref come and take you away

Don't want the game to be "decided by the refs?"

easy - play better than the other team.

sure, I've seen games that were impacted by penalties - most notably the no-call on the alleged push-off in the Vikings-Cowboys playoff game in '75.

But, if "your" team plays better than the other team, then you can "control your own destiny." In other words, don't let the game become a situation where one call - good or bad - can change the outcome.

a dropped pass, a missed block, a blown assignment in the 1st quarter can impact the outcome of a game just as much as a call by the refs in the 4th quarter.

Don't want the game to be "decided by the refs?"

easy - play better than the other team.

sure, I've seen games that were impacted by penalties - most notably the no-call on the alleged push-off in the Vikings-Cowboys playoff game in '75.

But, if "your" team plays better than the other team, then you can "control your own destiny." In other words, don't let the game become a situation where one call - good or bad - can change the outcome.

a dropped pass, a missed block, a blown assignment in the 1st quarter can impact the outcome of a game just as much as a call by the refs in the 4th quarter.
And they get criticized by fans only of the losing team. Just another excuse. It is a really tough job. They do the best they can and have no agenda to favor one team over another. If i thought they did, i would never watch sports.

Lots of responses here. I've looked and cannot find what the 1979 rule is on such a play. My memory is that it was supposed to be a 15-yard non-contact personal foul (similar to the technical in basketball - a foul not common to the game). That may not be correct however. Yes, I know that it was a horrible Indiana defensive play on the Carter TD. S.O.N., I also know that if you don't want to lose, play better than the opponent. It also sounds like you are saying that its really a good idea to win my at least 7 points so that a poor official's call will not provide you opponent with a last second chance to score. Coaches should take note of that. Look I do not think that there is a conspiracy against the Gophers and other Big 10 teams that have struggled in football. I do however think that in a tight game, when a 50-50 play occurs, it will be a rare event that Minnesota, Indiana or Illinois will get a call vs. Michigan or Ohio St, that might determine the outcome. I don't think its purposeful, likely sub-conscious. I love college football and believe that the refs do their best, but I think that there is an unintentional officiating bias. Go Gophers!

And they get criticized by fans only of the losing team. Just another excuse. It is a really tough job. They do the best they can and have no agenda to favor one team over another. If i thought they did, i would never watch sports.
Not sure I agree with that. Lots of money to be made by sports betting and from what I've read, the mafia can be extremely persuasive.

Referees are human therefore they are biased. They can do their best to keep bias out, but there will always be moments where it creeps in.

Referees are human therefore they are biased. They can do their best to keep bias out, but there will always be moments where it creeps in.
Yeah. And it is unconscious. I don’t think referees are orchestrating some conspiracy.
I do think they are grossly incompetent at times

Yeah. And it is unconscious. I don’t think referees are orchestrating some conspiracy.
I do think they are grossly incompetent at times
Agree. I don't think it's a grand conspiracy. Just human nature with bias and incompetence...with some ego thrown in.

Top Bottom