Students Paying Their Own Way To Camp

I'm pretty sure if Murray were alive today he would favor flying kids like Eller and Bell in for a closer look.

Yup...and that visit is allowed to be one of their five official visits, paid for by the university.

Yup...and that visit is allowed to be one of their five official visits, paid for by the university.

Except, for the best of knowledge, the coaches aren't allowed to run these kids through any drills or anything. So they aren't able to get a closer look, they are able to try to convince the kids to sign.

I'm actually pretty surprised by some of the backlash to this idea. It's the football programs who are complaining about this phenomenon. I believe Coach Kill hinted at this very thing in an interview with Sid when he said something to the effect that "basketball coaches are able to do a lot of things that football coaches cannot". Generally, I believe most football programs want to be able to pay for these kids to come to camps so that they can get a better evaluation. It's in our programs best interests.

I agree that you can make an argument that a rule allowing football programs to pay for these camps would benefit the bigger programs much more than our program. I disagree, as I believe there is much more doubt about our recruits than there is doubt around Ohio State recruits (additionally, OSU's camps are located really close to a football hotbed). I think it helps with out-state recruiting (more important to us than Ohio St.) and it would help with deciding on fringe prospects. I understand the arguments to the contrary, but I really think you could fashion a rule that would still help football programs evaluate players better without giving the large programs a large advantage.

Top Bottom