Student Tix

MaxyJR1

Reaction score
"5,000 sold, & counting. All kids in dorms can go this Sat. for free." This was Doogie's response to the question, "how are Gopher student ticket sales going?"

I also see that some radio stations are giving out family four packs.

I just don't get the low sales! When I was in undergrad (03-07) the turnouts were surprisingly good (I don't know if they sold the entire allotment but the lower bowl in the damn Metrodome was generally filled) considering we had to take the damn shuttle and we weren't exactly a powerhouse.

I just don't get the low sales! When I was in undergrad (03-07) the turnouts were surprisingly good (I don't know if they sold the entire allotment but the lower bowl in the damn Metrodome was generally filled) considering we had to take the damn shuttle and we weren't exactly a powerhouse.

You were a student during the glory years of Gopher football since the early '60s. That's why it was full. In 1997 student tickets were like $20 and the student section was a morgue.

You were a student during the glory years of Gopher football since the early '60s. That's why it was full. In 1997 student tickets were like $20 and the student section was a morgue.

It's still perplexing to me. The 2nd and 3rd years of the Brewster regime were both bowl game years. They weren't far off Mason's years. We had one heck of a bad year last year, but went out with two straight wins and have a new coach generating a lot of interest. Some how I feel like the U isn't marketing this very well to students.

Another slant on the problem

I just heard the new Prez speak and he said that they accepted something like 4000 freshman students out of something like 45000 applications.

Is it possible that the characteristics of the students has or is changing. Just interested in an education and less of the type that would be interested in sports. When I was a student quite a few years ago, the ration of men to women was way over 50%. Now I have no figures but I've heard the ratio has changed in the opposite direction.
In other words many more students could care less about sports.

Personally, I've never understood why you can't charge tickets to your student account. It seems like streamlining the process would only help sales. Currently it's kind of a pain in the butt to go through the process to buy student tickets.

I just heard the new Prez speak and he said that they accepted something like 4000 freshman students out of something like 45000 applications.

Is it possible that the characteristics of the students has or is changing. Just interested in an education and less of the type that would be interested in sports. When I was a student quite a few years ago, the ration of men to women was way over 50%. Now I have no figures but I've heard the ratio has changed in the opposite direction.

...couldn't care less...couldn't care less...couldn't care less...

is this the most incorrectly used phrase in the United States or am I just overly sensitive to it?

No chance. I know the U has had a rapidly declining acceptance rate, but there is no way it is 9%. That would make the U harder to get into than Princeton, Harvard, MIT, etc. My guess is he meant there are 4000 new freshman out of 45000 applicants. Most state universities usually end up with around 30% (rough, rough estimate) of their accepted students actually enrolling. This would yield around a 31% acceptance rate. That is still absurdly low, on par with Northwestern and Vanderbilt. So it is a definite possibility that the culture is changing. My roommate works as a campus security guard and he said every year it seems the freshmen are less and less wild.

But look on the bright side, at this rate, in 10 years, a degree from the U will hold a huge amount of prestige in peoples eyes.

It is true that the gals are over 50% on campus now vs. the 70's when I was at Madison. ( Damm, timing is everything) I do think the U can do a better job of marketing the experience to the undergrads. You have to get them excited as incoming freshman. Winning cures all. The first thing we did after accepting admission was to buy season fball, bball, and hockey seats. It was a big reason my son chose the U vs. Marquette, UC davis and UC Santa Barbara. The parents are spending $20,000/year for school, what's another $100 for season seats. The U did a great job "recruiting" my kid with emails, snail mail, weekly calls from hotties.(Funny, he never got a call from a guy) But, not once did the athletic department throw a brochure in about season seats for any sport. Let some Carlson undergrads scheme up some great marketing ideas to get the student section full and rockin!

I can see it. I was a student at the U from 07-11. In 07 it was actually a good time going to the dome, the tailgating for students was awesome down by the spaghetti factory. Sophomore year they shut down all the lots and it started to suck. Same thing is happening on campus, the students don't have a place where they can all gather but rather a bunch of small tailgates. Not as fun

As a freshman, I believe I heard there are 5300 of us, our of maybe 37,000 or so applicants. Then of course there are the ones who were accepted but didn't enroll.

And as far as getting students excited for Gopher football, Coach Kill's speech to us, the freshmen, got me pretty jacked for football, and from talking to other students, I wasn't the only one. Maybe that excitement just wore off as we left the stadium and days went by until the first game, which of course was on the road, so we couldn't reasonably get tickets to it.

But if they're having trouble selling tickets, at least that will hopefully mean cheap student tickets for me this Saturday!

I can see it. I was a student at the U from 07-11. In 07 it was actually a good time going to the dome, the tailgating for students was awesome down by the spaghetti factory. Sophomore year they shut down all the lots and it started to suck. Same thing is happening on campus, the students don't have a place where they can all gather but rather a bunch of small tailgates. Not as fun

At one of the last games in the Metrodome I talked to a former student who was complaining about the tailgating lots being shut down. He made me wonder what would happen at TCF if nothing was done to maintain a good tailgating experience for the students. Maybe now we are seeing the results of nothing being done.

At one of the last games in the Metrodome I talked to a former student who was complaining about the tailgating lots being shut down. He made me wonder what would happen at TCF if nothing was done to maintain a good tailgating experience for the students. Maybe now we are seeing the results of nothing being done.

Yeah except at the Dome there were 2 whole lots for tailgating (1 after they shut one of em down) that students could use. There were 7-10k students in the dome student section and I can tell you far LESS tailgating downtown. As much as I want a healthy tailgate scene on campus, isn't it very easy for students to figure out how to tailgate without lots now that the stadium is back on campus? 10,000 students don't have a hard time finding houses and places to party on Friday and Saturday nights, why should Saturday morning/afternoon be so hard?

Why not have house parties? Kind of a small pic, but this pic of Michigan should give you an idea that they just get it done.

state+street.jpg

I'd love to see balconies filled with students partying in Dinkytown and Stadium Village. But so far I haven't. I think, facetiously, Minnesota students should be required to travel to at least two other Big Ten schools for football Saturdays. Doesn't even have to be good teams. But I feel like a lot of students just don't know what big time college football can be.

The student tailgating situation doesn't help things I'm sure but it isn't a cure either. Indiana has AMAZING tailgating options right by their stadium and all it does is induce the students to stay in the lot instead of go to the games.

From Fullers Blog -

- Gophers coach Jerry Kill said he spoke to athletics director Joel Maturi about closing Oak Street before Saturday’s game in order to give students a place to tailgate. He said he came up with the idea after watching how the streets were close during the school’s spring bash festivities.

“It was just one big hoopla party and everybody was having a good time,” Kill said. “I said, ‘why don’t they do that on game day?’ I don’t understand that. If that was my deal, I would shut it all down. That’s what your supposed to do. That’s what everybody else around the country does. They shut it down. Let’s get it on. It should be the biggest party in the state. That’s what it’s supposed to be. I’m not going to apologize for saying that.”

Looks like coach Kill has some ideas in mind to get the students hyped up for game day.

Just a quick explanation when he said all the kids in the dorm can go this sat. for free: In all the mailboxes of people living in U owned housing, including the apartments, we got a thing in the mail to redeem for a free student ticket to either this weekend or the Miami game. I think for once they did something right, gets kids in the seats early and I assume the hope is that it's a good enough time that kids buy season tickets for the actually good games.

Considering the administrations apparent lack of effort to get students involved usually, they seem to be doing a lot more this year.

Yeah except at the Dome there were 2 whole lots for tailgating (1 after they shut one of em down) that students could use. There were 7-10k students in the dome student section and I can tell you far LESS tailgating downtown. As much as I want a healthy tailgate scene on campus, isn't it very easy for students to figure out how to tailgate without lots now that the stadium is back on campus? 10,000 students don't have a hard time finding houses and places to party on Friday and Saturday nights, why should Saturday morning/afternoon be so hard?

There was alot more tailgating around the Dome during the Mason years -- that is, until the last year or maybe two. The lots slowly went away as condos were built or as lot owners shut down tailgaiting. But the tailgating was very good there for a while, and there were a lot of students. Students have nowhere to tailgate now. Two whole lots by the Dome (one after they shut one of 'em down) is more than they have now.

I don't understand the concept of students have no where to "tailgate". Very few students have a car on campus to tailgate with. I can assure you Camp Randall has no room for student tailgating. They turn the entire campus into one big tailgate. That usually starts 36 hours before kickoff.

We would always take one car down to the lots for about 20 of us. That way you have a place to put your coolers, tailgate gear, and all that stuff during the game. Then have a sober driver bring it home. And most students do have cars. Our house throughout college at 6 people, and 6 cars. Only few freshman go without cars.

The U should encourage frats and houses to throw parties.

I rememeber these topics being discussed on this board before TCF Bank stadium even opened, student section, tail gating options and game day experience etc. etc. Many people were and still are concerned and perhaps just a little itty bit of progress has been made in enhancing these areas when so much more is possible, or is it ?
Seems to me the U or the City of Minneapolis really anticipated what they believed to be potential problems with the game day and came up with a few ordinances to stifle some of what many believe is actually much of the fun. If someone can add or update the status to these topics please do so as my memory is a little fuzzy.
1. House parties, city ordinance no partying outside, no alcohol outside, will be enforced.
Anyone know the status ?
2. Closing of streets, difficult thing to do as the U has little say, all power here resides with the
City of Minneapolis and they are not as thrilled with the idea as most on this board. But
obviously not totally against the concept if they shut one down for a spring bash. Can
anyone add to the status or the reality of the City/U Getting this done.
3. Tailgating lots, here again as I recall the city/U really put the clamps down on where this
can take place, I think I recall there being city ordinances is place which prevent anyone
selling parking on game day, residential or commercial properties. For what it's worth
I believe the students need their own tailgating lot. Status anyone?
4. My two cents, the culture at the U is changing, not sure sports are as popular as they
once were to the student body.
5. Marketing, many on this board have said how poorly tickets and the football program
have been marketed. I for one am not sure what type of resources they have to work
with but I believe the City of Minneapolis and the State of Minnesota will be a very
tuff sell until we WIN BIG AND CONTINUE TO WIN.
*As an add on to the Marketing piece I do want to say this and am looking for
some feedback from others. Is it just me or are the U's commercials on the Big
Ten Network the worst of all schools ? Professionally done yes, but the
content of the adds themselves should be advertised on some other medium, not
the BTN!
6. Lastly, standing and cheering at games. How were they last year in policing the
behavior of the fans, ok, to strict or to lax ? Do we want a passionate, vocal
and aggressive (stand and cheer with both hands in the air) fan base or do we want a more
subdued fan base who wnats to sit and clap when something good happens ? I'll bet I
could answer this one for Coach Kill!

What do ya think ?

How many students live on campus? What percentage have student tickets? How hard is it to get student tickets? How many student tickets are available? Can you sign up for them when you enroll? Can you get them on line? Do they accept credit cards? What is the student ticket program? Details if you have them, please

1. House parties, city ordinance no partying outside, no alcohol outside, will be enforced.
Anyone know the status ?
2. Closing of streets, difficult thing to do as the U has little say, all power here resides with the
City of Minneapolis and they are not as thrilled with the idea as most on this board. But
obviously not totally against the concept if they shut one down for a spring bash. Can
anyone add to the status or the reality of the City/U Getting this done.
3. Tailgating lots, here again as I recall the city/U really put the clamps down on where this
can take place, I think I recall there being city ordinances is place which prevent anyone
selling parking on game day, residential or commercial properties. For what it's worth
I believe the students need their own tailgating lot. Status anyone?
The City is definitely hindering things. What is unknown is how hard the U has pushed back. Lets assume that even if the U fights hard that the City will continue to stifle the environment. Even if that is the case, the U has a lot of leeway to still create the environment themselves. I saw that much for myself at USC. At USC there is no off campus options for tailgating because of the area the campus is in. But the university made a decision to allow all the open space on campus to be used and the atmosphere there is AWESOME. The U can do the same if they choose. Then the City's stuborness about street closure, house parties, and private lot tailgating ceases to matter (or at the very least matters much less)
4. My two cents, the culture at the U is changing, not sure sports are as popular as they
once were to the student body.
I think it is more likely that the current suckitude of the Big 3 sports is leading the way to student apathy more than a major change in the student body. The U is still a major D1 state school.
5. Marketing, many on this board have said how poorly tickets and the football program
have been marketed. I for one am not sure what type of resources they have to work
with but I believe the City of Minneapolis and the State of Minnesota will be a very
tuff sell until we WIN BIG AND CONTINUE TO WIN.
Winning is its own type of marketing. But all you have to do is look at what Northwestern has been doing over the past 2 seasons to see that you can market without winning at an extremely high level. And there is no reason not to start a more effective marketing approach RIGHT NOW.
6. Lastly, standing and cheering at games. How were they last year in policing the
behavior of the fans, ok, to strict or to lax ? Do we want a passionate, vocal
and aggressive (stand and cheer with both hands in the air) fan base or do we want a more
subdued fan base who wnats to sit and clap when something good happens ? I'll bet I
could answer this one for Coach Kill!
We're not the only one to fight this fight. My bigger problem with in game atmosphere is the comercialization of every possible free second. Instead of more of the band we get Cenex Man or piped in music following a PA commercial. I know we need the money, but there has to be a happy medium to this stuff. We're not an NFL team…our games shouldn't feel like one.

Why not have house parties? Kind of a small pic, but this pic of Michigan should give you an idea that they just get it done.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-FfONR7iGkRM/TkEApbbaxiI/AAAAAAAACbE/psoAQHgPEhE/s400/state+street.jpg[/
I'd love to see balconies filled with students partying in Dinkytown and Stadium Village. But so far I haven't. I think, facetiously, Minnesota students should be required to travel to at least two other Big Ten schools for football Saturdays. Doesn't even have to be good teams. But I feel like a lot of students just don't know what big time college football can be.[/QUOTE]

I can't say that we will have this many people but there will be a gathering of some sort at my house in dinkytown this Saturday.

I can't say that we will have this many people but there will be a gathering of some sort at my house in dinkytown this Saturday.

You're one of the good ones. Keep up the good fight :)

Party patrols by the cops. The U has been anal about busting house parties and the social host ordinace that came into effect a few years back. The damn neighborhoods and Phyllis Kahn are the ones hurting the atmosphere the most.

The reason tailgating is difficult without parking lots is there isnt a space where a lot of students congregate. We had some pretty big ones in our lot (100-150, 5 kegs) but you have to worry about the police. We had cops shut down one of ours. When you get that many people coming to your house/yard your undertaking a pretty big risk. With the riots that happened a few years ago because of poor police planning/policy I can see why students would be apprehensive at having large outdoor tailgating at their house, and I question whether the police would even allow it

The reason tailgating is difficult without parking lots is there isnt a space where a lot of students congregate. We had some pretty big ones in our lot (100-150, 5 kegs) but you have to worry about the police. We had cops shut down one of ours. When you get that many people coming to your house/yard your undertaking a pretty big risk. With the riots that happened a few years ago because of poor police planning/policy I can see why students would be apprehensive at having large outdoor tailgating at their house, and I question whether the police would even allow it

^This

The U S#!% Their pants after the Spring Jam Riots.

I think they should allow students to buy 2 tickets like they did at the dome until the demand for tickets improve. It is sad to see the student section at 1/2 to 2/3 capacity.

Top Bottom