Strike a pose: ESPN Gopher article

Fuzzy Rumpton

Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/102629/strike-a-pose-gophers-embrace-yoga

Show up at the University of Minnesota's Gibson-Nagurski football complex on a Thursday morning, and you'll see something possibly unprecedented in nature: a 300-pound Gopher in a Downward Facing Dog.

Minnesota has incorporated a weekly team-wide yoga session into its summer conditioning program. It would give new meaning to the term mat drills if the players actually used yoga mats. Instead, they strike their poses right there on the turf of their indoor facility, sometimes using their T-shirts as a cushion.

I wonder whether there's been any reluctance to participate on the basis of yoga having its roots in Buddhism. It's happened before. I'm aware of one instance where a high-school kid was directed to participate in yoga in gym class and refused to do it.

Actually, yoga is more associated with Hinduism. Some people avoid it because they think that doing yoga is the same as doing Hinduism, but it really is just stretching. Many stretches that athletes already do are lifted from yoga, so in a way, people are already doing yoga - is it still yoga if you don't call it yoga? Some people avoid yoga because it is often seem in America as being for women, but in India, the yogis are men.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2

I'm all for it. My wife once got me to go to a yoga class because she said I could look at the butts in the yoga pants. This alone is great reason for any man to take in a free class at least. As for the football team, anything that helps reduce injury is a good thing. Interested to see how this all plays out.

The American Taliban whackos will probably object. http://pastormark.tv/2011/11/02/christian-yoga-its-a-stretch

The rest of us recognize it for what it is, a really excellent way to keep muscles stretched, fit, toned, and prevent injury if performed properly

Thanks Pompous Elitist - All I can say is unbelievable! You sure know how to scare a guy!

My only experience with yoga was with my daughter-in-law at a class that I attended with her. I think she brought me along so she wouldn't be the worse one there. Anyway, one of the problems I have with religion is that it gets in the way of spirituality. Joseph Campbell In his book "The Power of Myth" does a wonderful job of showing the commonality of difference religions. Unfortunately, this guy focus is on dogma.

I'm interested in seeing how well it improves their overall balance and body control.

I'm interested in seeing how well it improves their overall balance and body control.
I'm more interested in if it helps Leidner remain calm in the pocket and focus on his read progression. If it does that and also helps the receivers focus on catching the ball it's worth it. The other pluses would be bonuses.

Thanks Pompous Elitist - All I can say is unbelievable! You sure know how to scare a guy!

My only experience with yoga was with my daughter-in-law at a class that I attended with her. I think she brought me along so she wouldn't be the worse one there. Anyway, one of the problems I have with religion is that it gets in the way of spirituality. Joseph Campbell In his book "The Power of Myth" does a wonderful job of showing the commonality of difference religions. Unfortunately, this guy focus is on dogma.
Really...Joseph Campbell? A Quacktitioner if I've ever seen one. His book makes great kindling, however.

Stretches are stretches. The danger with yoga is the spiritual aspect to it, which is entirely fallacious and spurious. Quacktology at its finest.

Really...Joseph Campbell? A Quacktitioner if I've ever seen one. His book makes great kindling, however.

Stretches are stretches. The danger with yoga is the spiritual aspect to it, which is entirely fallacious and spurious. Quacktology at its finest.

You could say that about any religion

zing!

Oh goodie! This again!

I usually do it 3x a week. It's good for flexibility and working those muscles you had no idea you had. Any exercise helps.

Yoga is a legit compliment to any workout regiment. Do it long enough, and you will notice a big difference in flexibility and strength and your body will feel like a million bucks.

Nothing beats doing a yoga workout and going out for a nice 5 mile jog.

Really? I am not a religious person but there is something to be said about "mindfulness" "being present" or "awareness". It has have been proven to be very beneficial and helpful to many people. The It can be done sitting, doing yoga, or wherever. For what ever reason, the word spiritual seems to have a different or more limited meaning/connotations to you than it does for me. I have no problem with that.

Yoga is a legit compliment to any workout regiment. Do it long enough, and you will notice a big difference in flexibility and strength and your body will feel like a million bucks.

I've tried yoga a few times, it's no joke that's for sure. I think it's a great idea for any athlete.

The focus, and stretching of the muscles, body, and mind are critical to restore the breakdown of strength training. A longer muscle, like a rubber band can shoot further than a shortened chilled one. The cold rubber band will snap, like a hamstring. This is great. I would bet they find an hour for this during the season. Or in the hotel ballroom the night before a game. I have seen other things used. For instance wide receivers and backs learning to juggle. The eye hand coordination is amplified. With yoga it was Lynn Swan who took ballet. They flock to this as a retreat, but it will not only make them more flexible, but also help prevent injury, add to that they all are on the same wave length. Team building.

I've tried yoga a few times, it's no joke that's for sure. I think it's a great idea for any athlete.

I did one of those 90 day DVD workouts with a different workout each day. One day per week was yoga. You are right, it is no joke. I found this workout harder than any of the others. Planking and holding stretches is incredibly difficult.
Professional athletes and trainers use these workouts.
In ten years, this will be commonplace.

If a polar bear stabs you in Mpls and nobody sees it...do you really bleed?

With all the stabbings in Mpls, how can you be sure a polar bear was the culprit if nobody sees it. I mean someone is being stabbed right now.................and now...............and now, etc.

With all the stabbings in Mpls, how can you be sure a polar bear was the culprit if nobody sees it. I mean someone is being stabbed right now.................and now...............and now, etc.

You would think a white dude would be easy to identify in North Minneapolis.:confused:

There is no such thing as a nice 5 mile jog...

I did one of those 90 day DVD workouts with a different workout each day. One day per week was yoga. You are right, it is no joke. I found this workout harder than any of the others. Planking and holding stretches is incredibly difficult.
Professional athletes and trainers use these workouts.
In ten years, this will be commonplace.

P90X?

Yeah, yoga is hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't now if Campbell was a "Quacktitioner", but his interviews with Moyers were not watchable unless you were on something. (I wasn't and I could not watch.)

Top Bottom