STrib: With P.J. Fleck and Richard Pitino, Gophers have youth on their side

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

P.J. Fleck took a different path than Richard Pitino to get to the highest level of college coaching, but the two now hold the shared distinction as the youngest football and basketball head coaches in major college sports.

Fleck, 36, is now the youngest head football coach among Power Five schools. Pitino, 34 and in his fourth Gophers season, has been the youngest among major conference basketball coaches since he was hired at 30 years old in 2013.

“I’m fired up about the hiring of Coach Fleck,” Pitino said Friday. “I really admired the job he did at Western Michigan. He built it from the ground up and did it the right way. His energy and enthusiasm are infectious. It’s a fun time to be a Gopher football fan.”

The last time two Big Ten head coaches in basketball and football were in their 30s at the same school was in 2013 when Northwestern hired 38-year-old Chris Collins, who was the same age as Wildcats football coach Pat Fitzgerald. Northwestern faithful even jokingly called Collins their “Basketball Fitz.”

http://www.startribune.com/with-p-j...o-gophers-have-youth-on-their-side/409952395/

Go Gophers!!

Bleed gets to start as many has he wants. He's the best.

Thanks Dr.Don and others! Blitzkrieg, sorry if I offended you at all. Most people come here to talk Gopher sports. The coaching change and great start to the hoops season has provided a ton of great local and national articles. I try to start new threads for articles that are different and I try to label them as clearly as I can so if someone doesn't want to read the thread/topic/article, I didn't trick them with a misleading thread headline. In this instance, there is an article on Pitino and Fleck both being young, so I started the thread. I purposefully didn't start a thread about Tywhon Pickford since it has nothing to do with the Gophers or our coaches youth. Living in Maple Grove, I have seen Tywhon play a few times already this season and its great that he's off to a good start. So thank you for posting that link.

Go Gophers!!

Thanks Bleed. Top notch as always.

Top Bottom