STrib: Whalen Works to Rally Gophers After 56 Point Loss

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score

Youngblood mentions the Maryland 55 point rout in 2020 and how the team regrouped to defeat Penn State three days later. So, I guess, experience brings comfort.

What happened Thursday can't be changed. The Gophers women's basketball team came out flat against Iowa, got behind early, and things steamrolled late in a 56-point loss to the Hawkeyes at Williams Arena.

The question is: What's next?

The Gophers assembled Friday. They didn't practice, but they watched the film. The difficult, four-quarter long film of Thursday's loss, which ended with a 21-3 fourth quarter.

It wasn't fun

I hope they are embarrassed and realize that giving maximal effort is the minimum.

I hope they flew over to Hopkins to see girls exhibiting effort.

It is not a good place to be when you are halfway through year four, and the best thing you can say about the coach's tenure is that we are excited about the freshmen coming in in year five.
Yep.

And there is zero indication that those incoming freshmen will be coached up.

First to second year she gutted the program and they got young fast.

She has kept most of her recruits in the program, so it isn't a revolving door. Hopefully the 4 Freshmen give a more experienced team a big boost next year. If she can't put it together next year with next season, we will see how long the leash is.

Top Bottom