STrib: Walker has really bought into Pitino’s new brand and work ethic

per Chip:

Here is Pitino on a few of his players, including a few one-liners that he delivered to the estimated crowd of 400 who attended the luncheon:

-- On juco point guard Dre Mathieu: "He’s about as quick of a guard as you’re going to see in the Big Ten. He’s lightning fast. He’s probably only 5-10 but he can windmill dunk and do some things that are unbelievable. He’ll be fun to watch."

-- On center Elliott Eliason: "He won’t be able to play until he beats me in a pushup competition. We’ve got to get him in shape, but I actually do think that he’s going to have a great year. I believe it and he needs to believe it. Once he gets in great shape, he’s going to be a difference-maker for us."

-- On center Mo Walker: "He’s lost 20 pounds, which is great. The old expression, that’s a deck chair off the Titanic as they say. He’s got to lose about 40 more and he will. He’s been awesome. He’s been committed. He’s staying here [this summer] instead of going home, which shows a lot about him. He wants to do it. He’s changed his diet."

-- On redshirt freshman Charles Buggs: "He could be the guy who makes the biggest jump."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/207750831.html

Go Gophers!!

Its clear that he has plans for the 2 bigs which is great. A truly in shape Walker could be a really good college center. Also in all the talk about the team there's been little about Buggs. Kid seems to have the athleticism and skill to thrive as a 4 man in this system offensively. The question is if he can get strong enough to guard B10 4s. Maybe he never will but he may be able to use his length and athleticism ala Damien Johnson (who also redshirted his first year)

I don't know what to make of EE and Mo being so out of shape. Is Pitino making a bigger deal out of this than it is, or are these two in that bad of shape? How can this happen in a multi-million dollar D1 program? I know Pitino runs a high-octane blend, but it's not like Tubby's system thrived on soft, plump players.

I am extremely high on Buggs. I would not be surprised if after next season people were as high on Buggs as they are Dre at the moment. I realize that is high praise, but I just have a good feeling about him.

I don't know what to make of EE and Mo being so out of shape. Is Pitino making a bigger deal out of this than it is, or are these two in that bad of shape? How can this happen in a multi-million dollar D1 program?

I've always thought they looked out of shape. Mo is quite obvious, but you have to remember EE was redshirted and still doesn't have a lot of muscle and seems to tire easily with extended playing time. He also can't dunk, or doesn't know how to which is ridiculous for a 7'1 human being.

Its clear that he has plans for the 2 bigs which is great. A truly in shape Walker could be a really good college center. Also in all the talk about the team there's been little about Buggs. Kid seems to have the athleticism and skill to thrive as a 4 man in this system offensively. The question is if he can get strong enough to guard B10 4s. Maybe he never will but he may be able to use his length and athleticism ala Damien Johnson (who also redshirted his first year)

Same question I have. I know everyone is tired of hearing this guy or that guy is perfect for Coach P.'s system, but IMO this guy is perfect for Coach P.'s system.

I've always thought they looked out of shape. Mo is quite obvious, but you have to remember EE was redshirted and still doesn't have a lot of muscle and seems to tire easily with extended playing time. He also can't dunk, or doesn't know how to which is ridiculous for a 7'1 human being.

Yeah, EE looked as if he had never lifted a weight in his life. He also looked like he was short of breath quite a bit. It's encouraging to hear that Pitino wants to get them in shape and that they seem to be accepting the challenge well.

I don't know what to make of EE and Mo being so out of shape. Is Pitino making a bigger deal out of this than it is, or are these two in that bad of shape? How can this happen in a multi-million dollar D1 program? I know Pitino runs a high-octane blend, but it's not like Tubby's system thrived on soft, plump players.

Speaking just on EE, I would say this. He was in good enough shape to play in the BIG, but to play in a running game you have to notch it up. The one year I played in a running system, truly all we did was run. I played 4 more years, but never was in anywhere near that shape. The players will adapt, but the running game is a different animal. EE is not out of shape, he's just not in shape for Coach P.'s system......................yet.

per Chip:

Here is Pitino on a few of his players, including a few one-liners that he delivered to the estimated crowd of 400 who attended the luncheon:

-- On juco point guard Dre Mathieu: "He’s about as quick of a guard as you’re going to see in the Big Ten. He’s lightning fast. He’s probably only 5-10 but he can windmill dunk and do some things that are unbelievable. He’ll be fun to watch."

-- On center Elliott Eliason: "He won’t be able to play until he beats me in a pushup competition. We’ve got to get him in shape, but I actually do think that he’s going to have a great year. I believe it and he needs to believe it. Once he gets in great shape, he’s going to be a difference-maker for us."

-- On center Mo Walker: "He’s lost 20 pounds, which is great. The old expression, that’s a deck chair off the Titanic as they say. He’s got to lose about 40 more and he will. He’s been awesome. He’s been committed. He’s staying here [this summer] instead of going home, which shows a lot about him. He wants to do it. He’s changed his diet."

-- On redshirt freshman Charles Buggs: "He could be the guy who makes the biggest jump."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/207750831.html

Go Gophers!!

Thanks Bleed.
Maybe it's just PR but I love that Pitino is giving us these tidbits and building some excitement. I am just pumped for summer ball.

As far as the "can they guard big 10 4's and 5's?" Question goes, look at the Louisville roster that beat Big 10 team Michigan. They don't have a real big type. Dieng was their center and was pretty skinny. They did okay.

Even the coach himself can't help but rip Oto a little:

Chip Scoggins
Pitino asked Oto is his nickname is Oto-matic. Pitino: "He said, yeah. Then I looked at his stats and he made two threes."1:24pm*&^!#- 16 May 13

As far as the "can they guard big 10 4's and 5's?" Question goes, look at the Louisville roster that beat Big 10 team Michigan. They don't have a real big type. Dieng was their center and was pretty skinny. They did okay.

Dieng is listed at 245
Bohanon was 6'6" 250
Blacksheer was 6'5" 230
Harrel was 235

They weren't huge guys but they certainly had a little bit of bulk, especially considering our 4 and 5 last year were listed at 205 and 245 respectively

A. Need to find players to fit system.

B. Players more important than system.

Top Bottom