STrib: Unvarnished truth drives U coach, punter

That's alarming!

The Gophers were ranked last in punting at 120th. Northern Illinois was ranked 105th. Holy moly, that's maybe the first depressing thing I've seen about Coach Kill. 105th is like a bad play from being 120th. Why were they so bad if this is such a priority for the Killer?

It's a probably a priority because they were so bad.

When the rugby thing happened last fall, I knew we were in full-meltdown mode. The rugby style can be very good, NW has done really well with it against us, but here was a kid who could suddenly not do what he had done his entire life, and a whole different and more athletic approach is required in mid-season? It was a complete farce.
Dan Orseske has a terrific leg, but if you watch him he is really tall and slim, actually looks thin; like a very tall golfer with long arms. He looks like he needs to get stronger and work on core strength because he does not look like he has a really stable base, at least to me. He has a big swing plane, with lots of chances for missing a clean hit of the ball. He needs things to cut the opportunity for error, not increase them which is exactly what the rugby thing did last fall.
They do work hard at coverage and return practice every day. The 105th at NIU is not too exciting, but I assume they know they need to be better to keep the D from starting in the hole all fall. they still have a lot of work to do.

When the rugby thing happened last fall, I knew we were in full-meltdown mode. The rugby style can be very good, NW has done really well with it against us, but here was a kid who could suddenly not do what he had done his entire life, and a whole different and more athletic approach is required in mid-season? It was a complete farce.
Dan Orseske has a terrific leg, but if you watch him he is really tall and slim, actually looks thin; like a very tall golfer with long arms. He looks like he needs to get stronger and work on core strength because he does not look like he has a really stable base, at least to me. He has a big swing plane, with lots of chances for missing a clean hit of the ball. He needs things to cut the opportunity for error, not increase them which is exactly what the rugby thing did last fall.
They do work hard at coverage and return practice every day. The 105th at NIU is not too exciting, but I assume they know they need to be better to keep the D from starting in the hole all fall. they still have a lot of work to do.

That's why I think the move to a quicker, more compact move to the ball will be good for him.

Orseske will be fine. He just needs to get off to a good start in the first game or two and he'll be good to go.

Like 60's guy said - NIU 105th - YIKES! Are we sure we want Killer taking such a personal interest in special teams?

It'd be nice to know if that was normal for NIU, or just an aberration...

They were 96th in net punting in 2009, 86th in 2008. Southern Illinois was 7th in FCS in 2007, 12th in 2006, 38th in 2005, 27th in 2004, 50th in 2003.

Northern Illinois doesn't get first shot at the best punters...

Top Bottom