STrib: U athletics project start date could be delayed; CFO says "big hill to climb"

We need multi-millionaires (billionaires?) to donate 6+ figures. I highly doubt they are holding back because their seats went up a couple hundred dollars. What Mona said has zero basis in fact...he's just representing the easy path of the "common man."

+1. Well said. Where do some of you come up with some of this random stuff, including Dave Mona? Just throw random stuff at the wall and see what sticks. Smh. His quote makes zero sense and is illogical considering the boosters that we are cultivating for the project have zero qualms over a hundred or couple hundred bucks in seat donations which are commonplace at many Power 5 universities around the country, including many schools in the B1G.

Glen Taylor will never donate a dime to this project. He's a Mankato grad. His money is going there.

The Legislature has made it perfectly clear that the U is never getting a dime. They already have an "unfair advantage" over the other State schools. That's why they have new State-paid arenas in Duluth, Bemidji, Mankato, and St. Cloud.

Say what you will, but without Tim Pawlenty and Dean Johnson, TCF Bank Stadium would still be a parking lot.

First off, Duluth is a U of M campus and so any money for an arena there would be help to the U. You could take the total amount of state money that has been used for sports facilities in these other university towns and it wouldn't move the needle even one bit on how much is needed for this new practice facility.

To act like the U doesn't get anything from the state is laughable.

Nanne just said on sports show that they are at about $70M and need to get to $96M for shovels in the ground. 80% of $120M

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nanne just said on sports show that they are at about $70M and need to get to $96M for shovels in the ground. 80% of $120M

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kaler just told Sid in today's strib that the U could give the athletics dept a loan to cover enough to get going.
Essentially what I thought. The political forces inside the U are at odds. The CFO is either on the side who doesn't want athletics to have nice things, or he is appeasing that group by casting doubt on things and sounding like he's going to be a hardass when it comes to financially approving anything. It's also possible Kaler is setting his CFO up to be the fall guy to those forces against all this.
Either way Kaler sounds like this is going to get done.

Random question: As president, does Kaler have authority over the CFO?

Kaler just told Sid in today's strib that the U could give the athletics dept a loan to cover enough to get going.
Essentially what I thought. The political forces inside the U are at odds. The CFO is either on the side who doesn't want athletics to have nice things, or he is appeasing that group by casting doubt on things and sounding like he's going to be a hardass when it comes to financially approving anything. It's also possible Kaler is setting his CFO up to be the fall guy to those forces against all this.
Either way Kaler sounds like this is going to get done.

Or the CFO came out with this to set up another push to get to the goal. "Here's our goal; here's what we have; we only need this much more to get there." That's essentially the same plan I heard in church yesterday to get to the amount to cover our budget for the year.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Top Bottom